A portrait

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited April 28, 2005 in People
What do you folks think of this one?

20542099-L.jpg

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    The lighting from the left looks a little too strong. The back of the dress is slightly blown out and you have a noticebale whit area to the right ( her right) of her nose.
  • JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    The lighting from the left looks a little too strong. The back of the dress is slightly blown out and you have a noticebale whit area to the right ( her right) of her nose.
    dang khaos is vicious.... lol. I thought it looked fine, but as he pointed out there is that white spot next to the nose.

Jon
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Personally I like images that are bright so I don't think this image is really that blown out. Although I do think it would work still if it was alittle less bright and maybe alittle more contrast. Overall I like the exposure and everything but the look on her face makes it feel like a mugshot.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    dang khaos is viscious.... lol. I thought it looked fine, but as he pointed out there is that white spot next to the nose.
    Ooops. Didn't mean to sound that bad. The shot is fine. It's late. I'm tired. To bed I go. I always thought that portrait shots like that, called for soft, uniform light.
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I don't like this picture very much, I must confess. The sepia treatment makes her skin and the background look the same colour and her expression does not show her nice looks at all.

Having said this, I looked at your gallery and some of your pictures of this young lady are very nice. The colour one where she is smiling (#0161) really brings her face alive.

I like your lighting, is it done with one light or two?

Love your little frog by the way - that ones a classic thumb.gif
  • whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I think the shot has potential. You may want to desatuate the background a little so everything is not a similar tone.

Also, the sepia tone seems to be seeping into the white of her eyes. Maybe you should make the white part of her eyes 100% white and the dark part of her eyes more black in color.

- my $0.02

:)

www.screensurge.com
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    What do you folks think of this one?

20542099-L.jpg
    I find this portrait very interesting, but it seems to me that in *this case* a great part of impression have gone with the color.
    Do you have color version?
    Yuri
  • whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Greaper,

I hope you don't mind me tweaking your photo a little. I thought it would make for a fun exercise for me.

Obviously you would need to take more time and care around the edges of the hair and eyes, etc.

But here's an idea!
    http://www.willhamilton.net/images/20542099-L.jpg

wh

www.screensurge.com
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    That looks pretty decent Whamilton, what exactly did you do? Desaturate the background and increase contrast? It did seem to lose some hair detail.

Yuri. here is the color original.

20541528-M.jpg

I think the exposure is right on. If there are blown out items in the other version I think it must be the result of my conversion..
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I like the color version and I really like the lighting. I think tho that her expression does not do her justice. She looks almost bored or insolent to me.. I'm gonna go check out the other.. :D
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    That looks pretty decent Whamilton, what exactly did you do? Desaturate the background and increase contrast? It did seem to lose some hair detail.

Yuri. here is the color original.

20541528-M.jpg

I think the exposure is right on. If there are blown out items in the other version I think it must be the result of my conversion..
    I think its a *super* portrait!
    Yuri
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Wonderful rendition of the photo. Like the color mood, the sharpness of the photo, the composition.

But the face.....not sure I'd want to be remembered wearing that expression.

Lee
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    She is a basketball player and I asked her to show me her "game face".

Here she is a bit happier....

20611365-M.jpg
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Greaper
    GREAPER wrote:

20611365-M.jpg
    Like this one much better :D

Thanks
    Fred
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:

20611365-M.jpg
    The first was more an "I missed a last second foul shot to win the game face"The second one is 100%better.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    My first response was "SMILE!!!", cause that first pic she just looks pouty and mean. The second is MUCH better, and the color version of the first is better as well. :)
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com