Various

RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in Holy Macro
Well I have been lurking here for quite some time. I figure I would share a few of my photos that I think are o.k. I need to improve my technique. One thing I am having an issue with is getting that focus down. I think I am getting too old because when I "think" I am in focus, I seem to always be just a bit off. Nothing completely crystal like some of the other photos here. It gets a bit frustrating at times. Anyways here are a couple of photos:

1. This particular insect's head was about the size of a ball on a pen. Very tough to focus. 100mm macro 1/60sec f/4.5 tripod
20080904183155_bugs3.jpg

2. Mt. Rainer Nat'l Park - windy day. Kit lens 55mm 1/2000sec f/5.6 handheld
20080903185716_ladybug.jpg

3. Backyard. 100mm macro 1/50sec f/3.5 tripod
20080902175330_macro%20photos-1%203.jpg

4. My nod to LordV. 100mm macro 1/15 f/8 tripod
20080902170644_macro%20photos%207.jpg

5. Finally my avatar. 100mm macro 1.50 f/2.8 handheld - this guy was about the smallest frog I have ever seen - smaller than my pinky.
20080902173904_macro%20photos%205.jpg

Any comments or critiques are welcome. Any suggestions on that whole focus thing is also welcome. I perform the shoot through while rocking technique - except for tripod work - but either way I am missing the focus. Even the auto-manual focus (camera beeps at you tellin you you are in focus) does not seem to get me there.

Thanks everyone,
Rob
www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    LOvely series of shots .- welcome to the forum.
    The focus is not bad in most of these. I think your main problem is shooting natural light with wide apertures giving very shallow DOF. I normally try to get to at least F6.3 shooting in natural light by taking the ISO as high as ISO800 and prefer to get F8-F11.

Many of us use flash with the camera in manual mode a lot which solves the aperture problem but also helps by giving high apparent shutter speeds (ie the flash duration) which helps stop any movement.

Brian V.
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Seems I have some work to do today. I will try that out and see/post what I get. Thanks again.
    www.refractivephotos.com

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 5, 2008
    welcome to the forum, like #1 good focus.
    rain drops on flower great, best shot of this series.clap.gif
    remember all the sharp shots you see here, you dont get to see the hundreds of delited frames that are out of focus, its part of high magnification & the dam things moving!
    keep practising.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I think your technique is just fine, I am actually inspired by number three very much. Nice work and welcome!
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thanks for the comments Goldenorfe. True on the many other shots no one sees. Will think about that when I am setting up and selecting :D

Thanks ritewinger for your support.

Gonna head out early in the morning to possibly nab some good photos.
    www.refractivephotos.com

• teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Great series!
    Great composure, light, colors and a wonderful Variety but I am with Brian (MMMF) Manual Mode Manual Focus, F11. Can’t wait to see more! MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Robbug wrote:
    Well I have been lurking here for quite some time. I figure I would share a few of my photos that I think are o.k. I need to improve my technique. One thing I am having an issue with is getting that focus down. I think I am getting too old because when I "think" I am in focus, I seem to always be just a bit off. Nothing completely crystal like some of the other photos here. It gets a bit frustrating at times. Anyways here are a couple of photos:

1. This particular insect's head was about the size of a ball on a pen. Very tough to focus. 100mm macro 1/60sec f/4.5 tripod
    2. Mt. Rainer Nat'l Park - windy day. Kit lens 55mm 1/2000sec f/5.6 handheld
    3. Backyard. 100mm macro 1/50sec f/3.5 tripod
    4. My nod to LordV. 100mm macro 1/15 f/8 tripod
    5. Finally my avatar. 100mm macro 1.50 f/2.8 handheld - this guy was about the smallest frog I have ever seen - smaller than my pinky.

Any comments or critiques are welcome. Any suggestions on that whole focus thing is also welcome. I perform the shoot through while rocking technique - except for tripod work - but either way I am missing the focus. Even the auto-manual focus (camera beeps at you tellin you you are in focus) does not seem to get me there.

Thanks everyone,
    Rob

That first little fella looks like he could be a tad nasty .

I love your Lord V shot clap.gif soon as I saw the daisy reflection in the water droplets I thought of him too rolleyes1.gif ... he'd be pleased for sure thumb.gif

How precious is that little Frog iloveyou.gif

You've done a really nice job of these Rob thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin