First shots with the D300, one light.

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited September 12, 2008 in People
Definitely loving the D300, was fortunate enough to trade my D80 with someone from work who was a little intimidated by the D300 (first timer with DSLR) Can you believe straight trade? I gave her my D80 with MB-D80 grip and my 50mm 1.8D. And I got a brand new D300 body. :)

Shot was taken with single SB800 bounced silver umbrella, with a white reflector in a clamshell setup.

2820659244_33e7648434.jpg?v=0

2819817409_c7f3ff90d0.jpg?v=0

2820659176_d852b26949.jpg?v=0
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I dont know how you sleep at night after a trade like that...:D Beautiful shots and a beautiful model! You really did a great job and I hope you enjoy your new D300!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jrmyrnsm wrote:
    I dont know how you sleep at night after a trade like that...:D Beautiful shots and a beautiful model! You really did a great job and I hope you enjoy your new D300!

I know right. I kind of felt bad, I did ask her multiple times if she was sure and I told her how much both cameras we're worth, we just agreed that I'll meet with her once a week for some lessons, I think I owe her that much.

Model in this thread is my wife, I started learning portraiture with her when we first started dating, we're now going 2 years strong. Although it's getting harder and harder to get her to model for me headscratch.gif
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    gmonkeh wrote:
    Although it's getting harder and harder to get her to model for me headscratch.gif

Ever try chocolate?

On a serious note, these are beeeautiful. You need to get her to let you do some more. 1st one seems a bit cool, but might be this monitor. #3 seems incomplete, somehow.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I thought it was a touch green. I pulled it back a touch and even pulled the blue back a tiny-tiny-touch. Your post on the left and my correction on the right.

366013544_ZpZ6q-L.jpg
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    gmonkeh wrote:
    2820659244_33e7648434.jpg?v=0
    Stunning! thumb.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Nice pictures and INCREDIBLE TRADE!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    You've truly got it rough my friend. mwink.gif Now as for swapping wives straight up.. ba-Dum. Put that down honey it was a joke I swear!!
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Hindsight wrote:
    You've truly got it rough my friend. mwink.gif Now as for swapping wives straight up.. ba-Dum. Put that down honey it was a joke I swear!!
    eek7.gif
    :D

Nice shots. I can't remember the last time my wife posed for me. I think I'm just gonna set up my equipment around the couch so she gets the idea.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Very nice, i can't wait for my D300 to arrive. How has it been working for you? I see you did great on these shots thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • photomomof5photomomof5 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2008
    just a beginner's opinion
    I actually liked the blue effect on her face - it almost gave her an angelic look to me, but then I'm just a beginner.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    D300, SB800, umbrellas
    Here's a little tip that may help with warming up skin tones. If you shoot in RAW...post process in CS3...check the white balance. I've used the same setup and found that the D300 on auto WB with the SB800 fired into an umbrella likes to produce photographs that are a little cool, with the white balance set to somewhere in the upper 4K's...just take the slider in CS3 and move it up to around 5400 kelvin, or 5650 kelvin and see if the skin tones don't lose the bluish tent and pick up a nice warm tone.

The SB800 is daylight balanced to 5400 kelvin from the factory. So, to get proper skin tones and colors, you will want to make sure that the resulting flash picture/s are set to the same WB as your flash.

This is only if you want to change it...if not...still very good.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Great Photos!

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Thanks for the responses guys/gals! And I'm gonna have to try that tip out Ed, thank you. I never tried using manual white balance before, should really experiment with that.
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    edited September 7, 2008
    367336075_zYhJ2-M.jpg367348660_oiy2g-M.jpgl

I made some small adjustments to the skin and exposure. Notice how the eyes have picked up some depth and pop now that the eyebrows, eyelashes, and eyeliner are darker. The hair is now darker, richer, and highlighted to show the luminance of youth.

I'm not trying tell you right from wrong...just give you a variation that you may not be aware of. That's what we're here for...learning and helping.

Ed
    edited September 12, 2008
    links are now on..
    I have now turned on the links for the pictures in the previous post. I'm not sure why, but I can see my picture posts with external links turned off, but apparently no one else can. Hmmm. Anyone else know about this. I say this because I just posted a couple of pics and was told that they weren't viewable, but I am able to see them. Anyway, links are now on. If you can't see my picture posts, please email me.

Comments.

Ed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Ed911 wrote:
    I have now turned on the links for the pictures in the previous post. I'm not sure why, but I can see my picture posts with external links turned off, but apparently no one else can. Hmmm. Anyone else know about this. I say this because I just posted a couple of pics and was told that they weren't viewable, but I am able to see them. Anyway, links are now on. If you can't see my picture posts, please email me.

Comments.

That happens because your browser is caching the images when you are making your post. Looks fine on your machine, but the rest of us were in the dark, so to speak. The images are visible now. Thanks.
    Richard wrote:
    That happens because your browser is caching the images when you are making your post. Looks fine on your machine, but the rest of us were in the dark, so to speak. The images are visible now. Thanks.

Thanks. So much to learn...so little time...

Ed