Options

Workers of China

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited April 15, 2004 in Holy Macro
Here are a few pics of a worksite near my apartment in Pudong.

These kids live at the worksite with their parents. When a project is complete, the family moves to the next worksite.

3467839-L.jpg

This worker walks past some students at a private school...

3467838-L.jpg

And some men enjoy their lunch nearby...

3467837-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited April 13, 2004
    #3 is a nice shot.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    #3 is a nice shot.

Ian
    As usual great shots Damon... I always look forward to seeing your side of the world.. thanks :D
  • Options
    tgametgame Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2004
    A great pleasure to see these pics. A very real sense of "life as she is lived."
    damonff wrote:
    Here are a few pics of a worksite near my apartment in Pudong.
    Regards,

Tony Game.

http://www.candlet.plus.com/
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2004
    Thanks Tony. I like your gallery of Beth Chatto. The shadows are very dramatic! Please give my galleries a view at http://www.nomadphotographystudios.com/

~Damon
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2004
    I was there in '84 Damonff.... I remember walking through a main street in Shanghai. I was walking one way & tens of thousands of people were walking the other way...funny thing was that i was about a foot taller than them all & could see just how many people there were in front of me.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    Wow. '84. You were here before all of the drastic changes. Do you have any pictures of your trip? I'd love to see them and see how Shanghai has changed. Check out my site at http://www.nomadphotographystudios.com/ and see the city 20 years later...thanks for your comments and I hope you post some Shanghai '84 snaps! Cheers!!!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    Thanks Lynn. Why is wannabee still your name? IT'S SO UNTRUE!!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    I was with the military & they (the chinese army) were pretty edgy about cameras...things were still a bit strange back then. I can remember the sheer amount of open bridged warships lined up 3 & 4 deep...mirror guided missile systems, very old tech. They sent divers under us on the 1st night there to sus out our sonar, we wanted to get in as well & greet them sooo bad....but we had to chill on that one.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    I had a Red Army dood assigned to me & a few others. We called him Kermit...he was the funniest bloke i have ever encountered...man did we have some fun with him. I still have his cap here somewhere & no doubt he has my Beret somewhere also.

He was counting us onto a bus & one of us would climb out a rear window & try to get back on the bus....he would stop the bloke & say "bus full" , but we would ask him to count again & he would always come up one short. So we would do it again & again & again...at the end of it he was starting to doubt if he could count at all rolleyes1.gif

We were on our way to a military base when one of us asked about the people preparing breakfast on the footpaths in the early morning twilight...so he stopped the bus & marched us all off & started directing us into one of the houses. We were horrified to enter a dwelling without the permission of the owner but the army talked to the owners & we were welcomed in. I was fed boiled ducks eggs & weak coffee with 7 sugars in it until i was sick. I saw every pergoda from every dynasty untill they all looked the same.

Ancient place with wonderful people...the average chinese is nice to meet..the military on the other hand was a different story. I took Kermit to our canteen & feed him on chocolate bars & pizza for 3 days...on the 4th day he refused & in the haze of neither of us speaking little more than 20 words of each others language...he described 'diarrhea' Our stuff was a little too rich for him rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2004
    Hahahahaha. You've gotta come back and see the post-1989 China. It's totally different. Totally capitalist and ready to become the next Japan. Great story.