Sony a900

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited September 10, 2008 in Cameras
Why do we not have threads for this camera? ;)

Fullframe
Builtin stabilization
24.6 mp
9 (19) af points (9 cross type, 10 support)
5 fps
weather sealed
2xbionz cpu
100% viewfinder....
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 5, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Why do we not have threads for this camera? ;)

Fullframe
    Builtin stabilization
    24.6 mp
    9 (19) af points (9 cross type, 10 support)
    5 fps
    weather sealed
    2xbionz cpu
    100% viewfinder....

I guess now we do. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    You have to consider that there are not too many Sony DSLR photographers yet. The other bradns have a much larger base of users.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    True that!

I just think that they might become a serious contender in a year or two. Their zeiss-lineup is quite good, and they also have quite fresh primes of th 35 1.4 kind! Minolta legacy + new sony glass + zeiss glass is a good combination, even though they have not filled the lineup yet.

Competition is good though, I hope things like weathersealing and 100% vf has made its way into the 5d replacement as an answer to the competition :D
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Where is the A900? I can only find the A700 available.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Competition is good though, I hope things like weathersealing and 100% vf has made its way into the 5d replacement as an answer to the competition :D

Personally I like a viewfinder that has about a 90% usable area....makes it easier for in camera cropping....or else I have to buy tiny graphics tape to make crop lines in viewfinder:D...........

Ulrikift....please post link to A900....I am only finding the A700 also.....this might keep in the sony camp if it is fast enuff to do weddings and other fast paced sports:D:D:D......if only it has the connection for GPS like the upperr side of Nikon Does................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    The A900 is still a "rumor" =)
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    The A900 is still a "rumor" =)
    Probably why there are no topics on it then. Nobody can find it.
    edited September 7, 2008
    I am not so sure it is just rumor
    a few links ............

Link 1.......

Link 2.........

link 3............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Its not a rumor and will be released before the end of the year.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    ookej..I ment "rumor" as in not yet on the market :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Holy Hanna - that second link is trying to give cred to a sub $2K price for the A900!!! Given that specs, I'm not quite sure I can swallow that but it sure would be nice to see. It might even convince me to move from Canon to Sony - depending on high ISO performance. This is really exciting!
    edited September 8, 2008
    If the sony a900 24.6 Mpix, image stabilized, weather sealed body have good IQ and specifically good high iso quality... it WILL be hard to avoid for many high end amateurs/prosumers. Especially when it is just as nice to use with "alternative" glass as canon is :) Give me an af-confirm adapter and lots of cool alternative lenses :P
    -Ulrik

• FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Supposed to be anounced here in Japan tomorrow Sept 10th I'm pretty sure. Maybe for sale too, will have to check.

Here is the Asia Cnet article http://tinyurl.com/67ujfk I just might be upgrading my A700 ...

I do want the full frame and hope the high ISO is good quality. I think $2000 is a little low, it will be more like $2500 to $3500.

Steve
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
    edited September 10, 2008
    Well, the camera is out of the bag!

It seems to be a very good camera for the price point. According to LL, the IQ is quite on par with canon 1ds MkIII, at about 1/3 of the price!

Will be interesting to see real life examples from users!
    -Ulrik

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    grid
    Art Scott wrote:
    Personally I like a viewfinder that has about a 90% usable area....makes it easier for in camera cropping....or else I have to buy tiny graphics tape to make crop lines in viewfinder:D...........

or install a focus screen with grid lines..
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    gtc wrote:
    Art Scott wrote:

or install a focus screen with grid lines..

But that is extra cost.......