Options

Canon i9000 banding?

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 12, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I have not printed more than one test print as yet, but that print had repeating lines the entire width of the photo.

Any tips for tweaking, and troubleshooting to get the printer set up properly? Hubby would like some photos for his office, and I guess its time for me to be using my new toy.

Thanks

ann

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    stevehappstevehapp Registered Users Posts: 635 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    I dont know if this is a printer problem

but

Check your photo in photoshop and have a look at the levels. If you stretch those levels too much, it will cause banding. have a look at your levels curve for vertical lines.. if so, that may cause banding.

beyond that , i have no knowledge.. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6L, sigma 105mm Macro.
    Blog + Twitter
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    I've seen this when the paper type is set improperly. For example, if it's set to "plain paper" and you're printing a photo on glossy or matte, you will get banding.

Double, lo, triple check all settings.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I have not printed more than one test print as yet, but that print had repeating lines the entire width of the photo.

Any tips for tweaking, and troubleshooting to get the printer set up properly? Hubby would like some photos for his office, and I guess its time for me to be using my new toy.

Thanks

ann

Ann,

RTM :D

Normally when you first get the printer they ask you to do some head alignment, and set up steps, procedures.

Once this is done it should print great images.

Sam

ps: Added: Learn to use icc prifiles if you don't know already.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    If you are seeing this in all the prints, I too think this may be related to the printer jets. I'd do a head alignment and a cleaning. I think if you go into the properties button on the print menu, then it should walk you through it.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    It's also possible it's your print head. Canon has pretty decent customer support though. I had this happen with my i9100 (I think that's the model) and spent a half hour on the phone with Canon diagnosing it. They finally agreed to ship me a new printer with a call tag for the old one.

The new one still had slight banding in even tones like skies.

Incidentally, after a year of using that printer, I got so fed up with the constant ink jet clogs that I now outsource all my printing to labs. I'm happy to let them deal with those issues! I'm a photographer, not a printer maintenance tech.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Well, the printer sat there waiting for me to get the courage and motivation to run more prints. Last night I ran proofs for the poster I made for the soccer team, on 13 x 19 Kodak Matt paper.

Perfect! No banding. No clogged nozzles. True color reproduction.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    They do recommend using the printer occasionally as prolonged time without making prints can clog the printer jets. So print regularly I say.
    :D
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    They do recommend using the printer occasionally as prolonged time without making prints can clog the printer jets. So print regularly I say.

:D I know. I used to have an Epson that was always clogging! I have no viable excuse, other than procrastination.

Will print now, for sure.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 11, 2008
    I had a LOT more clogged heads with my Epson Stylus 4000 than I have had with my Epson 3800. The newer 3800 does not seem to clog much at all. We'll see when the drier air of winter arrives.

Red River paper suggest having a bowel of water in the room you print in to keep the humidity from getting too low. Especially in winter. It is cold and dry in Canada right now also, isn't it Ann?

For me, banding usually means clogged print heads, but not certain if this is true in the Canon world as well, Ann.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Especially in winter. It is cold and dry in Canada right now also, isn't it Ann?

Cold? Dry? Here?

Well, touch wood, it has not gotten cold yet. Edmonton has very little humidity ever. Had a skiff of snow last night, but it has melted.

Definitely have a humidity issue here tho.
    Thanks Jim.

ann