New Toy - 580Ex II CC wlecome

dgeddiedgeddie Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited September 9, 2008 in People
My greatest friend - Amazon.com - just sent me my new toy - 580ex II. This was my first attempt at fill flash. Please CC if you like.

363691883_nCudW-M.jpg

363692469_kiXe4-M.jpg

363693424_Xrjq7-M.jpg

363695178_FkUxw-M.jpg
Canon EOS 450D Xsi
EF-S 18-55mm IS
EF-S 55-250mm IS
EF 50mm f/1.8
Speedlite 580 EX II

http://dgeddie.smugmug.com/

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    You and I have the same camera, and I have been thinking about buying this flash. I know it has a ton of features, but how do you like it so far? Your pictures look great thumb.gif

Dan
  • dgeddiedgeddie Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    You and I have the same camera, and I have been thinking about buying this flash. I know it has a ton of features, but how do you like it so far? Your pictures look great thumb.gif

Dan

Dan,

Its outstanding. I'm moving up from a Panny FZ50 bridge camera where I had an Olympus FL-36 flash. I loved that flash.

This one blows it away. I was concerned about the size. It is bigger and also bigger than the 430ex, but after one day I'm glad I bought this one. The recycle time is sick how fast it is. I have used it a lot over the last few days and have seen no slowdown in the 4AAs.

My FL-36 would tire after a dozen or so shots and I was changing the batteries out at probably half-life because I couldn't stand the refresh time.

With a set of 2700mh rechargeables this flash will last a long time and recycle seems instant.

You can't go wrong with it.

Its bounce power is great also, which is how I use it mostly. I really notice the extra power of this flash filling in the rest of the room where I would have had dark backgounds with my other.

Also, the little "Catchlight" thingy that extends out of the flash head is great. Its a little white plastic card, but its great for filling shadows when bouncing.

The shots above where taken with the flash head actually pointed up, but the catchlight card gave enough forward light to expose them pretty good I think.

You will luv it
    Canon EOS 450D Xsi
    EF-S 18-55mm IS
    EF-S 55-250mm IS
    EF 50mm f/1.8
    Speedlite 580 EX II

http://dgeddie.smugmug.com/
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thanks very much. I rarely shoot indoors, and when I do I use the pop up flash which actually gives me pretty good "snapshots", but I would like to discover what I don't know I don't know. Thanks again for taking the time thumb.gif

Dan
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Some nice shots here. I actually have 2 of the 580's and I love them and the versatility they give me for onlocation shooting, fill light etc. I use them also with my 430X and a ST-E2 remote on the hot shoe and I have a portable studio. Keep shoot'n :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Those are great shots. Your fill ratio is perfect.

I have a 580 EXII and I love it. I use it with a 430 EX with two softboxes, though I tend to shoot them on manual when I do so.

You've invested well. You'll like this flash more and more as time goes on.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    I have had very good service from my 580EXII. I recently was able to purchase a 580EX (the original version) at a very good price here on the forum. I think Canon made a mistake when they moved the "off", "master", "slave" into the menu rather than the three position switch, but other than that I have no gripes with the EXII.

Your fill looks a tad strong in the last shot, but the others are balanced really well. Good job!