Canon Batteries and effect on cameras

jjvfxjjvfx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited September 5, 2008 in Cameras
Should I be leaving my batteries in my cameras when not in use, or should I be removing them? If I don't keep the batteries in the camera how does this effect what custom settings I have on the camera?

The camera's in question are Canon 40d and Mark II

Thanks

Jordan
Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EOS 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jjvfx wrote:
    Should I be leaving my batteries in my cameras when not in use, or should I be removing them? If I don't keep the batteries in the camera how does this effect what custom settings I have on the camera?

Thanks

Jordan

There is an internal battery inside the camera that saves things like time (to keep the clock ticking), the other settings are actually saved in the memory so they don't rely on the battery. At least, that is my understanding.

I have read many times that if you are going to store your camera for an extended period (over a month) you should take the battery out so it doesn't cause any issues. I've never had problems with the LiIon batteries but the alkalines will corrode if left unused for very long.
    ~ Lisa
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jjvfx wrote:

Thanks

Jordan
    If the PNO period doesn't extend 3-4 months I wouldn't worry about that. deal.gif However, if you're packing for years, it could be a good idea just to sell the whole damn thing and buy new stuff later...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"