ch37 - over sharpened

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited April 29, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
As promised, i went back on the prowl around campus. I found some patterns, but the sun was in the wrong spot for just about all of them. This one ended up being totally in the shade, so I gave it a shot.

Turned out ok, some processing and it was still too darn flat. I'm no Rutt with the curves, so I took my own advice and went extreme! This is what happens when you use unsharp mask with about 50 pixel radius and 500%:

20700029-L.jpg

patterns sure pop out don't they? :lol3
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I like it, but I wouldn't post on the challenge anything with a technical error in it.

I am even a little leary of critiqueing right now. But I do like your shot, and that looks like sun to me.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    I don't get it? It's not an error, its a processing "treatment".

This image was a half joke, hope to get more time to process it later, but what kind of comment is that, Ginger? Guess I'll go shoot of some kitties or puppies...

:hide
    Erik

• BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I like it ne_nau.gif Interesting technique.. I don't think I have ever "oversharpened" an impage on accident....

To the photoshop!
    edited April 28, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I like it ne_nau.gif Interesting technique.. I don't think I have ever "oversharpened" an impage on accident....

To the photoshop!
    try it, its fun... you make the image go through some cool transformations. thumb.gif
    Erik

• SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    If you are going to use unsharp mask try not to go over 300% and 4.radius. You can also try to shapen just the edges. I agree that the photo is too overshapened for the challenge.
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    It's extreme...but I like it! The glow of it and the texture really come out. Hey!! Have fun!!
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    I think people are missing the point here... I think DoctorIT did the over sharpening on purpose... without the "oversharpening" as we will call it, the photo may lack the luster to be great. It looks to me like you took an "ok" photo, in to something that really catches your eye.

I don't understand how you can call it "oversharpened" considering the USM was simply a technique to get a desired effect.

Just my .02
    edited April 28, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I think people are missing the point here... I think DoctorIT did the over sharpening on purpose... without the "oversharpening" as we will call it, the photo may lack the luster to be great. It looks to me like you took an "ok" photo, in to something that really catches your eye.
    thumb.gif

glad someone else out there gets it lol3.gif
    I don't understand how you can call it "oversharpened" considering the USM was simply a technique to get a desired effect.

Just my .02
    it got your attention didn't it??? :D
    Erik

edited April 28, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    It's extreme...but I like it! The glow of it and the texture really come out. Hey!! Have fun!!
    nod.gif you don't learn photoshop if you don't push it.

(thanks)

I am however going to work this photo some more. I have yet to pull some curve magic with it.
    Erik

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I like it Erik. I think extreme levels or curves can do some cool things. I almost did it with my stairs, jut to get something that catches the eye. I like the way the the circles and squares play off each other too. It's a cool repitition and pattern.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    I like it except for the patch of sunlight at the upper right. can you go back to the original and clone it out before applying the other elements?
  • Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I dig it man. Push it!
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Sometimes I like to go to the extreme with a picture just out of the sheer "let's see what this'll do" of it and then am very pleased with the results. Not that there are too many of those. Some of my extreme tries are "YIKES". :D
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!