Prime Lens No Flash

JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited September 8, 2008 in People
Hello everyone, I have been mostly using my d200 with my sb800 flash. I bought a 50mm f1.8 lens awhile back and really have never used it. So i finally broke it out and attempting to use it without flash. Here are a few examples that I took of my little guy. Would like some advice on the pics and any info on the proper way to use this lens. Thanks everyone.

1. i am supprised he smiled for a pic
366416717_dsedE-L.jpg

2. daddy why does darth Vader think he is my Father
366448169_kQeAb-L.jpg

3. fresh out the shower
366416770_YDfxH-L.jpg

4. come on coach put me in
366416739_dvB8w-L.jpg
So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4

Comments

• NaxNax Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2008
    Great shots, Jason.

I really like 2 and 3.

-Tom
  • JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    thanks
    Nax wrote:
    Great shots, Jason.

I really like 2 and 3.

-Tom

Thanks Tom, I am really trying to get into no flash photography. I have to keep reminding myself that they will not be as crisp as with the flash. I was looking into maybe getting a 1.4 piece of glass also.

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • dlacouturedlacouture Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Hello!

Well, this is always a matter of taste, but for kids, I really like to open the lens... It gives a little dreamy mood to the pics.

Now, for extra close work, I made myself a little Excel sheet in order to have a depth-of-field of about 3-5cm for all my fast lenses (50 f/1.4, 55 f/1.2, 85 f/2 and 135 f/1.8)...
    In the end, looking at the results, I settled for the following rule of thumb: below twice your minimal focus distance, you have to close one stop for each 1/5th of the minimal focus distance.

Ex: for a 50mm f/1.4 with a 50cm close focus (10cm steps):
    1m and above -> f/1.4
    90cm -> f/2
    80cm -> f/2.8
    70cm -> f/4
    60cm -> f/5.6
    50cm -> f/8

This gives a good DOF for faces, and keep the background nicely OOF...
    Of course, if your personal taste asks for slightly more DOF, you just have to close one stop further, the formula still works...

Now, you really have to try bounced flash and 400iso with your fast lens set to f/2... You'll be amazed at the light quality you can have...
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    2. daddy why does darth Vader think he is my Father
    366448169_kQeAb-L.jpg

I love this one, great composition, DOF and story. clap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited September 8, 2008
    Thanks
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I love this one, great composition, DOF and story. clap.gif

Thanks for the comment, He loves that Darth Vader, its like 30 years old and when you press the button, it starts talking about being a Jedi and Lukes Father. It takes up like a 1/2 hour of time so it's a break to grab some shots !!!!!!! Thanks again for the comment.

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    Thanks Tom, I am really trying to get into no flash photography. I have to keep reminding myself that they will not be as crisp as with the flash. I was looking into maybe getting a 1.4 piece of glass also.
    With respect, I think you may wish to re-investigate/re-evaluate the above statements.

No Flash - While I understand that not every problem is a nail, there are some situations (many?) where a flash, used correctly and well, can make the difference between a stellar photo and a boring snapshot. Bouncing your external flash, used in combination with other light sources can be a real winner.

Crispness in a photo is not a function of flash/no flash. It is more a function of focus and DOF. If you mean that you will have a more limited DOF bacause you are forced by the lack of light to open up your lens a bit more - nod.gif. But, you can still get crisp photos - you just have to get the primary point of interest into sharp focus. That's technique and takes time - someday I hope I get to the point where I can do it in a repeatable fashion:D
    edited September 8, 2008
    Bounce
    With respect, I think you may wish to re-investigate/re-evaluate the above statements.

No Flash - While I understand that not every problem is a nail, there are some situations (many?) where a flash, used correctly and well, can make the difference between a stellar photo and a boring snapshot. Bouncing your external flash, used in combination with other light sources can be a real winner.

Crispness in a photo is not a function of flash/no flash. It is more a function of focus and DOF. If you mean that you will have a more limited DOF bacause you are forced by the lack of light to open up your lens a bit more - nod.gif. But, you can still get crisp photos - you just have to get the primary point of interest into sharp focus. That's technique and takes time - someday I hope I get to the point where I can do it in a repeatable fashion:D

I am quite a fan of bounce flash photography. I hear what you are saying about "crisp" photos. It is tough to get nice clear photos in low light, no flash with my 3 yr old moving about so fast. I do love how DOF looks with the faster glass. Practice practice Practice. Thanks Scott !!!

edited September 8, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    I am quite a fan of bounce flash photography. I hear what you are saying about "crisp" photos. It is tough to get nice clear photos in low light, no flash with my 3 yr old moving about so fast. I do love how DOF looks with the faster glass. Practice practice Practice. Thanks Scott !!!
    You're response points out something I missed - crispness is also a function of appropriate shutter speed:D but it's obvious you already figured that part outthumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    JasonL wrote:

Hi Jason.....why would you want to get into "non-flash" photography??? I hear people say all the time, "I'm a natural light shooter".....so what it means in reality is if there isn't enough light....then what? Learn about flash and how it can make a photograph stunning.....mixing it with ambient you'll never know a flash was used. Besides, it opens up all options rather than high ISO's, low shutter speeds. Sure, sometimes natural light is awesome but limiting yourself to it is ludicrous.:D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited September 8, 2008
    Limiting???
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hi Jason.....why would you want to get into "non-flash" photography??? I hear people say all the time, "I'm a natural light shooter".....so what it means in reality is if there isn't enough light....then what? Learn about flash and how it can make a photograph stunning.....mixing it with ambient you'll never know a flash was used. Besides, it opens up all options rather than high ISO's, low shutter speeds. Sure, sometimes natural light is awesome but limiting yourself to it is ludicrous.:D:D:D

Definatly not limiting, I use Flash all the time, indoors and out. I own multiple flash units that I also run wirelessly. Trying to improve skills so I can shoot without flash. Like during shows and churches that do NOT allow flash. Using this prime 1.8 is a whole new ballgame to me.

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    Definatly not limiting, I use Flash all the time, indoors and out. I own multiple flash units that I also run wirelessly. Trying to improve skills so I can shoot without flash. Like during shows and churches that do NOT allow flash. Using this prime 1.8 is a whole new ballgame to me.

Gotcha. I've seen others refuse to use a flash because they didn't understand it and touted themselves as a "natural light" shooter...Laughing.gif. Wanted to discourage you if you were going there rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited September 8, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    Ah, shooting in churches - something both Swartzy and I (among a great many others here, most of whom are much better than me) have some experience. Believe it or not, some of my most "stunning" (ok, not really stunning, but at least successful) wedding photos have actaully been shot at f/2.8 (or smaller). It sounds like you're talking about learning how to better stabilize your camera when taking a shot - a worthy goal indeed.

All that having been said, there's nothing like shooting with a fast prime for creamy bokeh and faster shutter speeds at lower ISO. They are wonderful when you have the time to swap lenses.
    edited September 8, 2008
    Yes sir !!!
    Ah, shooting in churches - something both Swartzy and I (among a great many others here, most of whom are much better than me) have some experience. Believe it or not, some of my most "stunning" (ok, not really stunning, but at least successful) wedding photos have actaully been shot at f/2.8 (or smaller). It sounds like you're talking about learning how to better stabilize your camera when taking a shot - a worthy goal indeed.

All that having been said, there's nothing like shooting with a fast prime for creamy bokeh and faster shutter speeds at lower ISO. They are wonderful when you have the time to swap lenses.

I just did a wedding and oh my the lighting was beyond horrible. It was dark, and tere were spotlights and my sb800 was working hard !!! even though I was able to use flash, I did not have a "Fast" lens. I was using my 18 to 200 VR because where I had to stand the 50mm 1.8 was too short !!!! DOH !!! I am currently looking into some 2.8 glass. I also would like to get a 85mm f1.8 nikon lens. After this event I really have been trying to learn the faster glass for the future. Thanks for the response !!!!!