NOT From the Horse's Mouth

HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
edited September 6, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
This round has me befuddled, as from 1975 until I got a D100 in 2002, I did nothing but b&w. Yes, I was a b&w snob. I might have put as many as 10 rolls of Velvia and/or print film in my camera. I thought this round would be a lick if I could find the time. My current entry was while on a job, and the light on the jump was so much better just 10 seconds earlier, yet I had to aim in another direction at a horse, and alas, the moment passed!

This morning I'm drinking coffee on the back porch and watching how the light is dancing in the woods, and I came up with a few more ideas that I'm working on. Mostly I am using a polarizing filter, then in the bw conversion I'm starting with the blue filter and varying other color levels from that(Used a blue filter a lot with TriX in the past). I'm trying for this low-key effect, but my worry is that it will be too dark for many of your monitors out there. What do you think?

#1"
080906FE_HLX1612Bc800.jpg

#2:
080906FE_HLX1614Bc800.jpg

I have a job this evening where the location will give me some other ideas, and I'll also try for some more shots before I have to work for a living!
Mark
www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    There is a lot of almost black in #2. But I don't think that's what you mean by too dark, is it?

They look fine to me, somber and rich, if that is the effect you wanted. I'm not sure what low key is. High key I know, and there are close to blownout areas in these two shots. For me, there is not enough range of exposure. Do I mean mid to high tones? So they don't have a great deal of interest for/impact on the eye.

My monitor, therefore, shows almost black to almost blown white, which might be the extremes of the range in your images?

Always enjoy your stuff! Thanks!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Mark, Of the two images I like #2. I like the way you captured the light filtering through the trees highlighting different areas of the forest. This would be a good landscape image, but for me the connection to the current theme is lost.

Keep trying.

P
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Oops! Maybe I'm missing something. There may be several challenges going on at once. Isn't the current theme just a simple "Black & White?"
    Mark
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    Oops! Maybe I'm missing something. There may be several challenges going on at once. Isn't the current theme just a simple "Black & White?"

It is, but the subject has to deal with communication. #2 BTW, is lovely!!!
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Thanks, Linda!!! Dafter than a draft over here.... I guess I'm hangin' out with too many Goobers lately.....:haha
    Mark