does this "say" anything to you?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I must admit I'm somewhat of a lurker in this board. I tend to be an all or nothin' type person, and since I don't have the time (or energy) to put as much into these challenges as I'd like, I tend to just observe and oooohh and aaaahh in private. So, I'm stepping out on the skinny branches a bit and posting this shot for feedback. It's a rather simplistic shot, and I know part of the reason I like it is because of the particular kids in the photo. If you don't know the kids, does it speak the theme to you?

366755539_7xeYt-XL-2.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    With the right title I think it could fit the theme. I also think the photo could use some adjustments. I would try bringing down overblown highlights and bringing up cold shadows. :D
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Yes, there's definitely a story in this image. The urgency of the arm gestures and the running feet strongly suggest communication. The fact that the other boy's back is still turned in the image raises the question whether the communication is going to succeed.

Congratulations on making the move out to the skinny branchesclap.gif

I encourage you to go ahead and take the next step: Enter the Contest!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    With the right title I think it could fit the theme. I also think the photo could use some adjustments. I would try bringing down overblown highlights and bringing up cold shadows. :D

I tend to like B&Ws a bit contrasty, and there are just bits of waves here and there that are blown. I did deepen the shadows because it felt rather flat otherwise. ne_nau.gif I've fiddled with it for awhile, and I'm not sure what else to do with it. As my Canon 40D is in the shop, this was just a jpeg shot on my little point and shoot, so there's not as much material to work with. I do appreciate your feedback! I guess I need to fiddle some more.
    Elaine

edited September 6, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Yes, there's definitely a story in this image. The urgency of the arm gestures and the running feet strongly suggest communication. The fact that the other boy's back is still turned in the image raises the question whether the communication is going to succeed.

Congratulations on making the move out to the skinny branchesclap.gif

I encourage you to go ahead and take the next step: Enter the Contest!

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Elaine

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    I like it Elaine and definately think it fits the theme. I don't mind the shadows or highlights, but this conversion could use more contrast in the mid tones. Enter it. Tinker with the conversion if you want, but you should definately enter it.

For me, if a shot makes the top 5....great. If not it was an exercise that encouraged me to think, plan, shoot, and eventually get some feedback. If you look at it that way, there is nothing to lose.

I am curious though....whats the breaks with the 40D. I hope this doesn't cause you to lose heart with Canon. They build a terrific product.

...and...keep us in your thoughts. It seems we are currently bracing for yet another of those pesky storms.
    edited September 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like it Elaine and definately think it fits the theme. I don't mind the shadows or highlights, but this conversion could use more contrast in the mid tones. Enter it. Tinker with the conversion if you want, but you should definately enter it.

For me, if a shot makes the top 5....great. If not it was an exercise that encouraged me to think, plan, shoot, and eventually get some feedback. If you look at it that way, there is nothing to lose.

I am curious though....whats the breaks with the 40D. I hope this doesn't cause you to lose heart with Canon. They build a terrific product.

...and...keep us in your thoughts. It seems we are currently bracing for yet another of those pesky storms.

Yes, Jeff, be safe and well. I hope your whole region can prepare as best as possible and come through it without much trouble at all.

Thanks for the feedback. I've become so used to processing RAW files (not that I'm great at it) that I feel so limited with a jpeg, especially the midtones.

You can read of my camera woes here.

The latest update is that I got an email from Canon in Irvine, yesterday. They said they will fix it and have it back to me within 7 business days. Yay! It will only miss one of my son's soccer games! (It was today...the Canon S2 P&S did not float my boat in this situation.) I understand more than ever now that equipment does fail. It is just equipment, after all. I can see the comfort of having a back-up. Right now, I'd like CS3!
    Elaine

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I've become so used to processing RAW files (not that I'm great at it) that I feel so limited with a jpeg, especially the midtones.

Hi Elaine - I hope you do decide to enter this...it's certainly worthy. I sure agree w/you regarding raw & jpeg...love the lattitude that raw allows. It does seem like you might be able to eek just a bit more out of this one with some more 'fiddling'.

Nice shot!

-paul