Munching pollen

RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
Ok I took the feedback earlier from LordV and Goldenorfe. I attempted to get my aperture down as much as possible. #1 is at f/6.3 and #2 is at f/9. The challenge was to keep the shutter speed as high as possible and tbh that was the most difficult thing to do. So...I implemented a hybrid solution to that. I call it spray and pray. I set the camera to burst mode and used the rocking method and held the button down. I ended up with quite a few nice shots but I thought these two were the neatest. Thanks for the feedback and look!

20080906124954_beelike%202.jpg

#2 - If you look closely you can actually make out my silhouette on the body
20080906123523_beelike%206.jpg

Oh any ID on this insect? Guess with macrophotography one tends to also become an entomologist :rofl
www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture

Comments

• canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Robbug wrote:
    Ok I took the feedback earlier from LordV and Goldenorfe. I attempted to get my aperture down as much as possible. #1 is at f/6.3 and #2 is at f/9. The challenge was to keep the shutter speed as high as possible and tbh that was the most difficult thing to do. So...I implemented a hybrid solution to that. I call it spray and pray. I set the camera to burst mode and used the rocking method and held the button down. I ended up with quite a few nice shots but I thought these two were the neatest. Thanks for the feedback and look!

Oh any ID on this insect? Guess with macrophotography one tends to also become an entomologist rolleyes1.gif

Yes your shots are excellent. I am sure if you follow in Brian and Phils foot steps you certainly will not go wrong. Well done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Thanks Bob. I am constantly practicing when I am not at work. Funny thing is, after the above photos were taken I decided to water the flowers and then mist them. I noticed this guy afterwards when he started moving. I don't know how I missed him because he was pretty big. Guess I had better start looking a bit more carefully.

20080906161601_spider.jpg
    www.refractivephotos.com

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Good captures - the first ones are a hoverfly. Like the damp spider best though.

Brian V.
    edited September 7, 2008
    Good captures - the first ones are a hoverfly. Like the damp spider best though.

Brian V.

Thanks for the ID. Read up on them in wikipedia. Good read. Yes I like how the shot for the spider came out too, especially for an impromptu one...though I do not think the spider much liked the whole unannounced watering. Thanks for the comment.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 7, 2008
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Robbug wrote:
    Ok I took the feedback earlier from LordV and Goldenorfe.
    I attempted to get my aperture down as much as possible.
    #1 is at f/6.3 and #2 is at f/9.

The challenge was to keep the shutter speed as high as possible and tbh that was the most difficult thing to do.

So...I implemented a hybrid solution to that.
    I call it spray and pray.
    I set the camera to burst mode and used the rocking method and held the button down.

I ended up with quite a few nice shots but I thought these two were the neatest. Thanks for the feedback and look!

Oh any ID on this insect? Guess with macrophotography one tends to also become an entomologist rolleyes1.gif

Spray and Pray rolleyes1.gif I like that one hahahaha!
    You'll have to rename your technique as Sway Spray & Pray.

Well it worked for you so I guess that's a good thing right.

The fact that you practice is going to get you where you want to be,
    these look great thumb.gif .... keep it up .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited September 9, 2008
    Thanks Skippy. I like that "sway, spray and pray" Gonna have to TM that Laughing.gif (credit to you coming up with that of course heheheh). Hopefully with the DIY flash I rigged up the other day I will be able to minimize sifting through tons of photos. While Phil had said to me earlier "you dont get to see the hundreds of deleted frames that are out of focus, its part of high magnification & the damn things moving!" I would like to eliminate my several hundreds down to just a hundred :D:D
    www.refractivephotos.com