The Kung-Fu Teacher (multiple exposure shot)

nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited September 19, 2008 in People
I recently did a quick photo session with SiFu Mir. Since I love multiple exposure shots, I had to ask him to do about 10 tornado kicks so that I can try and catch his quick moves in the air (with strobes!) so that I can put together the below effect.

Here's the rest of the gallery:
http://nikos.smugmug.com/gallery/5897600_Yq36c

366851526_AE8d7-XL.jpg

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    nikos wrote:
    I recently did a quick photo session with SiFu Mir. Since I love multiple exposure shots, I had to ask him to do about 10 tornado kicks so that I can try and catch his quick moves in the air (with strobes!) so that I can put together the below effect.

Here's the rest of the gallery:
    http://nikos.smugmug.com/gallery/5897600_Yq36c

Great shot Nikos... well done...thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Nice shot! Did you use a 580EX for this?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Great shot Nikos... well done...thumb.gif

Cheers,

Thank you shniks!
    edited September 6, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Nice shot! Did you use a 580EX for this?

Thanks! I had the 580ex with the cheapo wireless ebay trigger on the right that also optically triggered an Alien Bee 400 on the left.

Nikos
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Have you ever tried the "Multi" Stroboscopic flash mode for a shot like this? Just wondering. I haven't yet.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Very nice shot. I've been dying to do something like this since I saw it used at the olympic diving. I love the desaturation.
    edited September 8, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Have you ever tried the "Multi" Stroboscopic flash mode for a shot like this? Just wondering. I haven't yet.
    I've seen multi stroboscopic pics and they yield much different results than what I try to accomplish compared to separate multiple exposures. My processing is a lot more tedious but it also allows for much more flexibility to achieve various results.

Under perfect circumstances, I try to avoid using flash altogether and simply try to adjust my settings for maximum shutter speed and fps.

This was my first attempt that got me hooked about 2 years ago:
    78915948_SmYhu-L-1.jpg
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Cool. Nice sequence and definitely worth the multiple exposure. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    is this accomplished in camera or in post?
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    edited September 19, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Can anyone please explain the technique?

In brief:

1. Mount camera on tripod.

2. Take multiple photos of the sequence you want to capture. Normally, I shoot in bursts, but with this scenario, I was using strobes so I had to have my subject perform the kick multiple times while recording the progression.

3. Once you get all the shots on your computer, open in photoshop and merge each photo on its own layer.

4. Using layer masks, I do rough cut outs of the subjects from the background to get an idea of how I want to blend the images.

5. Once I get an idea of what I want to accomplish, I then start with the proper extraction of the subjects from the background.

6. I then merge all the layers onto a new layer an then touch up the picture as I would if it was a single exposure (levels, curves, sharpen etc.)

HTH,
    Nikos
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Thanks!!! :D
    nikos wrote:
    In brief:

1. Mount camera on tripod.

2. Take multiple photos of the sequence you want to capture. Normally, I shoot in bursts, but with this scenario, I was using strobes so I had to have my subject perform the kick multiple times while recording the progression.

3. Once you get all the shots on your computer, open in photoshop and merge each photo on its own layer.

4. Using layer masks, I do rough cut outs of the subjects from the background to get an idea of how I want to blend the images.

5. Once I get an idea of what I want to accomplish, I then start with the proper extraction of the subjects from the background.

6. I then merge all the layers onto a new layer an then touch up the picture as I would if it was a single exposure (levels, curves, sharpen etc.)

HTH,
    Nikos