Multiple Exposure with 1D Mark III?

charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited September 8, 2008 in Cameras
Hey Everyone,

Here's a quick question on the Canon 1D Mark III. I'm at a weekend long photo workshop, and I decided to try some double exposures on my 1D. I couldn't figure out how to do it, the instructor couldn't figure it out, a web search didn't lead to anything. . .

Is this feature available on 1D Mk III? I would think so, since other peoples' $500 Nikons had it. . .

Sure, I know I can do this in PS, but I would rather be able to see some results on the LCD in the field.

THANKS!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 7, 2008
    As far as I know there is no in-camera capability to do multiple-exposures on either the 1D or 1Ds Canon professional cameras. I do believe some of the P&S cameras have that feature, but not the professional cameras.

Can you imagine the disaster that could develop from inadvertantly setting that feature on during a once-in-a-lifetime shoot?

I doubt if that is a feature that will ever show up on the professional Canon cameras.

Apparently some of the Nikon cameras (D2X for one), some of the Fuji cameras (it appears both the S2 and S3) and some of the Pentax dSLRs can do this.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Some argue that it is an amatuer camera, and maybe it is, but the D300 does multiple exposures, as well as "overlay" which is kind of similar. However, the multiple exposure is set for a shot and then deactivates, and then you must go in and dig it out of the menus again. Frankly, I think its rather hard to inadvertantly turn it on for a shot, and I'd at times rather have it stay on from set to set. When I want it, I want it on.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 7, 2008
    It's not a feature available on the 1D or 1Ds.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. I wish the feature had been included on the 1D, as it could be useful on occasion, and as it would, I think, have been easy to build in. Oh, well, I still love the camera . . .
    ian408 wrote:
    It's not a feature available on the 1D or 1Ds.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    For double exposures, take two shots in sequence and layer them later in Photoshop.

What does in the camera layering offer over this technique, except imprecision?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin