New Climbs in the Rain

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Sports
I learned something last week about how climbers are all dirtbags and not to be trusted. :rofl A while back I found a nice looking wall with some cool features that looked like it had never been climbed, and posted a picture of it on the local climbers' forum asking if anyone had any info about it. Got no response, so heck, it must be unclimbed. Last week we headed up to give it a shot, and lo and behold, there's two brand new bolts right in the middle of the face, where there weren't any before! Somebody saw the post online and jumped our climb. The worst part is I can't say I wouldn't have done something similar myself. :rofl We're all scum.

Anyway, it looked to us like they didn't finish the project they were on, so we made our way up two climbs on the wall, and established an anchor up top to help folks in the future. The whole day was wet and rainy, but energy kept up for most of the time. With just the two of us though, the only time I got to concentrate on photos was when Kelsey was drilling bolts. So here's some shots of Kelsey drilling bolts in the rain. Enjoy! :D

We used a hand drill, old-school style, but we also used the bolts I bought for highlining, which are larger than necessary. We drilled for a while. Here's Kelsey pounding away.
anchor01.jpg

Rock dust flies.
anchor02.jpg

Kelsey blows some dust from the hole.
anchor03.jpg

And now we step back and check out the setting. :rofl
anchor04.jpg

A close-up of the tools of the trade (although the ones we actually placed were bigger).
anchor06.jpg

Sorry I didn't get a shot of the finished product, since most of the folks here are probably unfamiliar with climbing anchors, but suffice to say we did a good job and had a good time, despite coming home with every bit of gear completely soaked. Hope the pics were enjoyable!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    clap.gif and wave.gif and bowdown.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 7, 2008
    All very cool shots. As someone who's actually done that, I can tell you "cross to the dark side" lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Hehehe, yeah the dark side definitely has its merits. I'll be working on getting a power drill in time. :D It's tough though, when you weigh that against a new lens or a plane ticket!

Thanks for the comments guys!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 9, 2008
    Rent. I'm sure you won't need it often enough to warrant a purchase. So wire up your own industrial battery and rent when you need to.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?