Options

Question for all you auto photogs

BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
edited May 25, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I was curious what the hoops you have to jump through are for getting to be on the race track for some racing events. I see people in brights yellow vests on the track with their cameras out snapping shots. I am assuming they are taking pictures for a magazine or something, but are any of them free lance? Why can't I be out there with my (less expensive) camera?

anyone had any luck getting trackside for an event? Maybe I need a nametag and some business cards? :D

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    You need to contact the event organizer or PR manager. They are the ones to hand out permission. If you have their permission, then you are good to go. If you don't, nothing you bring (name tag, business cards, fake press pass) or say will keep you from getting kicked out and or banned if you are somewhere a spectator is not supposed to be.

They will probably ask who you shoot for or how your photos will benefit them. If they don't think your work will contribute to their PR, they most likely will say sorry, go sit in the stands. But it depends on the event and it's size too. Some may let you in.
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I was curious what the hoops you have to jump through are for getting to be on the race track for some racing events. I see people in brights yellow vests on the track with their cameras out snapping shots. I am assuming they are taking pictures for a magazine or something, but are any of them free lance? Why can't I be out there with my (less expensive) camera?

anyone had any luck getting trackside for an event? Maybe I need a nametag and some business cards? :D

Thanks in advance!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Thanks Shay! I was fortunate enough to get a media kit for the Oregon Trail Rally, so that may help my credentials a bit :D
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    It really depends on the track. I live near Indianapolis - you may have heard of the big track here. :D They have pretty strict rules about issuing credentials - official media only. That said, I also know for a fact that they give credentials to certain freelancers, but I've yet to find out what the criteria is for that. Like most things, it may just be "who you know".

On the other hand, at many of the smaller tracks or special events, you just need to be willing to pay for a pit pass. It's typically $10 more than a regular ticket. At those, you can often get much closer to the cars and action than common sense allows. (I know I'm getting too close when my thoughts turn to my wife and kids) Of course, if you want to get in free, you'd have to arrange it with the track ahead of time and get on their list for media credentials.

One of the things that really irks me though is when I see people with credentials/vests on standing there shooting with their little point-n-shoot, composing with the LCD screen, no less! What's up with that!?!? How did they get in?? Media? Yeah, right!!
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    In my short experiences with this I can say that it depends 100% on the event AND the track. I would go to some low key events at a track to get the track staff familar with you, once they know you and how well you observe track rules you are much more likly to get into a bigger event.

James.
  • Options
    rgeorgek42rgeorgek42 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2005
    I was lucky enough to have a photo class at Laguna Seca...essentially 99% access to the whole track (including the Crow's Nest:D ) during some regional races. What my instructor and track workers suggested is to find out about volunteering at the race track. Not necessarily as a photographer, but most venues are always looking for corner workers, etc. There are smaller and lesser-known racing and other driving events happen during the week and "off-weekends" and they can always use some help. It builds credibility w/ the organization(s) and helps you as photographer so you can see where the best spots are.
    I'm just starting out, so I'm still trying to figure out everything as well. Some day I'll be able to cover a real F1 race...

Oh yeah, always get as much permission as possible from as many relevant sources as possible, as far in advance as you can. Persistence can pay off.
  • Options
    Doug Munn - JLM PHOTODoug Munn - JLM PHOTO Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    We photograph races
    Get started at your local race track. Volunteer to take pictures for the newspaper at the track. The promoters love it. Often, travelling racing series don't have regular photographers, you can do those photos.

My wife raced a stock car for three years, now she photographs races at two tracks. I run the photo booth and make prints right there.

jerrimunnphoto.smugmug.com

If your local short track already has a photographer, approach her (or him) and ask if they can use an add'l camera. Learn the techniques and you have a good niche.

Doug
    From drivng race cars to riding race horses, it's hard to keep the woman down.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I was curious what the hoops you have to jump through are for getting to be on the race track for some racing events.

As mentioned, the bigger the track, the more difficult the access. Start with smaller tracks. The suggestion to contact an established pro racing photog about helping out is a good idea, but have a portfolio of existing images from the smaller tracks you can get into first.

As for volunteering, I once enrolled in the SCCA program for corner workers. They usually didn't mind me bringing a camera, and when I wasn't flagging at the corner (they put more than they need at any corner) I'd be taking pictures. Flag a bit, then rotate out and snap a bit. I got some great shots doing that.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    As mentioned, the bigger the track, the more difficult the access. Start with smaller tracks. The suggestion to contact an established pro racing photog about helping out is a good idea, but have a portfolio of existing images from the smaller tracks you can get into first.

As for volunteering, I once enrolled in the SCCA program for corner workers. They usually didn't mind me bringing a camera, and when I wasn't flagging at the corner (they put more than they need at any corner) I'd be taking pictures. Flag a bit, then rotate out and snap a bit. I got some great shots doing that.
    Ive also done that for a few SCCA Auto Crosses.. seems to work rather well...

I want in the La Mans series in Portland this year!