Options

Wedding Photo Books

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    What do you guys use to design your pages? I'm looking for some good templates in Photoshop but I don't want to shell out $400 for Kevin Kubota's autoalbum.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    I've used InDesign to design pages as I feel it gives me the most flexibility.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    I've used InDesign to design pages as I feel it gives me the most flexibility.

I would love to do that! I've found Kiss the only album company to accept InDesign files vs. Photoshop...who do you use? (Or, as a native Quark girl, am i missing a key workflow element in Indesign that works around that?)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I would love to do that! I've found Kiss the only album company to accept InDesign files vs. Photoshop...who do you use? (Or, as a native Quark girl, am i missing a key workflow element in Indesign that works around that?)

InDesign allows exporting of PDF files. You can also export the pages as EPS or JPG files. Not sure any of that helps with the printers you use, though. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

When I make my own, its Indesign all the way. When its a PSD template and I want to have the max ability to modify it usually go through Illustrator or Indesign by converting the PSD to a layered PDF and importing each separately into InDesign. Of course, when you are done, you need to resave as a layered PDF, open it is photoshop and either PSD it preserving the layers or JPG it depending on the service you use.

I've used graphisoft and asuka. I've also used some semi-local businesses that are a lot cheaper (not nearly as good though).
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    InDesign allows exporting of PDF files. You can also export the pages as EPS or JPG files. Not sure any of that helps with the printers you use, though. ne_nau.gif

I would think that sticking with PDF would be your easiest and best bet. :D It's actually quite easy and opens up a world of possibilities that would be quite annoying to do in photoshop.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    FotoFusion
    I bought Fotofusion and it is totally awesome.

I spent the whole day playing with it today making collages and album pages.wings.gif It took a bit of learning, but not too much and the options are really nice. I think I could make albums with no two alike for a long time to come.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    FYI...... Graphi Studios is releasing template software to its registered photographers on 11/10. It is supposed to have all the templates from all of their different layout packages (clasica (my personal favorate), reportage, design, panorama, etc.....) Unfortunatly its a day after their holiday deadline so I have to design my latest book in indesign or pay then the $3.50 per page :(

It will be available in your "Trade Area" for download
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    I bought Fotofusion and it is totally awesome.

I spent the whole day playing with it today making collages and album pages.wings.gif It took a bit of learning, but not too much and the options are really nice. I think I could make albums with no two alike for a long time to come.

that is great feedback! which version/license did you get?
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    In my effort to get an album done before Graphi's 11/9 Holiday deadline and still trying to get used to using my new iMac (yes I switched and Yes I love it it is so much faster) I stumbled across a really cool album page designer with a ton of templates. It is called "AlbumDS".

The website is www.albumds.com

Some really cool features are that they have preloaded into the software are all of the layouts from some of the major manufacturers including Asuka Books. The program is used as an add-on to Photoshop so you click on a template and then it opens in Photoshop, then you click on the layer you want a picture inserted into and then click on the picture to insert and it automatically resizes the picture to fit in the window.

I purchased the Pro package with the my design add on and got over 2000 templates for everything from baby pictures, seniors, sports, and weddings.
    It was not cheap, standard version is $349, the version I bought was $449. But factor that against $3.50 per page for Graphi to design.

It is available for both PC and Mac and the latest version is fully compatable with CS4. For anyone doing a lot of album design I would strongly recommend checking it out. I banged two out yesterday with it in only a few hours. Would have been less time but there were so many templates i had a hard time choosing.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Excellent
    For Fotofusion, I got the extreme version.

Jeff,

This software looks good too. So many ideas and good choices. Glad to see you have several albums because that means you've been booking weddings!
    In my effort to get an album done before Graphi's 11/9 Holiday deadline and still trying to get used to using my new iMac (yes I switched and Yes I love it it is so much faster) I stumbled across a really cool album page designer with a ton of templates. It is called "AlbumDS".

The website is www.albumds.com

Some really cool features are that they have preloaded into the software are all of the layouts from some of the major manufacturers including Asuka Books. The program is used as an add-on to Photoshop so you click on a template and then it opens in Photoshop, then you click on the layer you want a picture inserted into and then click on the picture to insert and it automatically resizes the picture to fit in the window.

I purchased the Pro package with the my design add on and got over 2000 templates for everything from baby pictures, seniors, sports, and weddings.
    It was not cheap, standard version is $349, the version I bought was $449. But factor that against $3.50 per page for Graphi to design.

It is available for both PC and Mac and the latest version is fully compatable with CS4. For anyone doing a lot of album design I would strongly recommend checking it out. I banged two out yesterday with it in only a few hours. Would have been less time but there were so many templates i had a hard time choosing.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    For Fotofusion, I got the extreme version.

Jeff,

This software looks good too. So many ideas and good choices. Glad to see you have several albums because that means you've been booking weddings!

I have been very fortunate lately to have a few weddings on the books. I just booked two off of referals from the Oct 11th wedding. Someday I might even start advertising - lol. One of the albums was actually from last year. He is buying it for their 1st anniversary. Whoooo Hooooo for unplanned residual sales clap.gif

I looked at Fotofusion also and really liked what I saw, but they did not have a Mac version and I am only two weeks into the Mac world to even try to run it how they were describing was just to greek to me.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Queensberrry is pretty amazing (and higher end than graphistudio). My buddy just got his samples in and they are hands down nicer than graphistudio. It cost him around $1200 US though... eek7.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    This is a great thread....yay Dgrin wedding party people...

Does anyone order from Finao? I am very impressed with their products but completely overwhelmed by their options. My clients order their books via forms they mail in and I haven't found anything useful on the Finao site. How do you guys have your clients choose from all those options? (Finao, Graphi or otherwise?)

I really liked Kiss because they offer such a simplified process...a very high quality product with no frills. But a couple of my clients just can't deal with a wedding album without their names silver foiled on the front. Argh!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Lynn, Finao is having an open house at a local studio on Wednesday that I am going to. I saw their product at WPPI - well, I tried to see it, but the booth was overwhelmed...I will see if there is something to make it more simple.

That said, I don't give clients too many options. I design only with the idea in mind that they get what I give them and they only choose their images, classic or modern and what color cover.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Anyone know how the premium books by new smugmug partner MyCanvas look?

The pages of the premium books look pretty thick, but not quite like some of the nicer ones I've seen (just from looking at the mycanvas website).
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Does anyone use:
    http://www.millerslab.com/info/products/albums/albumsdef.aspx

I have ordered a couple albums and they seem to be really nice, I have not seen some of the others mentioned her so I guess I can't really compare. I have used blurb and mypublisher and was not impressed at all. Millers has the software to design the books, several different types of books and free overnight shipping. I have the Flush Mount Panorama, the Companion Layflat album, and the Imount. The Flush Mount Panorama has very thick pages, the companion layflat has page that are a little thinner but is still very nice, excellent prints.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    Miller's
    I used Miller's and I have a book to upload tonight. I guess I should have it back next week so I will report in.
    Does anyone use:
    http://www.millerslab.com/info/products/albums/albumsdef.aspx

I have ordered a couple albums and they seem to be really nice, I have not seen some of the others mentioned her so I guess I can't really compare. I have used blurb and mypublisher and was not impressed at all. Millers has the software to design the books, several different types of books and free overnight shipping. I have the Flush Mount Panorama, the Companion Layflat album, and the Imount. The Flush Mount Panorama has very thick pages, the companion layflat has page that are a little thinner but is still very nice, excellent prints.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    A likely silly question
    So, I have a wedding to shoot in April. I'm not too worried about the shoot, but being totally new to the world of weddings, the whole album thing is overwhelming. Are the matted albums not really done anymore? I'm trying to sort through all of the suggested sites, and like the simplicity of KISS, but the don't show any real examples of their books. And then there's the designing. I'd like to design it myself, but not if that means having to purchase additional software. If it's going to take me 30 hours of pp and design in PS, then that's not really helpful. This is for a friend's son, and therefore my services are free with the exception of paid beach accomodations (no complaints there!). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    I just got done with another blurb book, ordered a copy on regular paper and a copy on premium paper - 156 pages:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/456324

Should arrive this week, I'll update this post with my thoughts once I check them out.

Working on another ~200 pager this month as well - all using the free blurb / booksmart designer, it's very user friendly.
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    I ordered a blurb book and got it this past weekend. I went for the premium paper. I like it. I wish the hardcover had a glossy finish on it like the ones I saw at Target.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    I just got done with another blurb book, ordered a copy on regular paper and a copy on premium paper - 156 pages:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/456324

Should arrive this week, I'll update this post with my thoughts once I check them out.

Working on another ~200 pager this month as well - all using the free blurb / booksmart designer, it's very user friendly.

Sheri, was the cover on your premium paper book a little blurry? Mine was, but the rest of the book was razor sharp.

Oddly enough, on the regular paper version that I ordered, the cover was very sharp, but all of the pages inside are just a tad blurry - enough to really bother me.

It looks like the black ink drum was just a hair off, you can tell from the way the text is barely misaligned over some of the backgrounds.
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    What is bugging me is the first book, the cover was pretty clear. I ordered a 2nd book (same book with a few more pages) and the 2nd one the cover doesn't look the same at all, very noticeable.

I have another vendor I am going to do photo books with, much higher price, but very professionally done.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    What is bugging me is the first book, the cover was pretty clear. I ordered a 2nd book (same book with a few more pages) and the 2nd one the cover doesn't look the same at all, very noticeable.

I have another vendor I am going to do photo books with, much higher price, but very professionally done.

Couple of things I like about blurb - their customer service reps must have been trained by smugmug because my dealings with them so far have been AWESOME!

When my book was delayed they upgraded the shipping for me and after a second delay I was given a coupon to use on my next book.

Yesterday I emailed Blurb the following:
    The imagewrap cover on the premium paper book was grainy and blurry. But, the but the rest of the premium book (inside pages) are fine.

Oddly enough, on the regular paper version that I ordered, the cover was very sharp, but all of the pages inside are slightly blurry - enough to really bother me.

It looks like the black ink drum was just a hair off, you can tell from the way the text is barely misaligned over some of the backgrounds (not sure if I'm explaining that correctly).

Please let me know what I need to do to get these corrected, thanks!

Their reply was fast and easy:
    Hi John,

Thanks for letting us know about this problem with your book. I'm sorry to hear that we did not get things right for you in the first place.

Your order has been submitted to our printer for a reprint. You’ll soon receive an automated email message with your new order number. This new order number can also be found in your order history when you log into your Blurb account.

Finally, would you please email us a digital image that clearly shows your book's defect? Simply attach the image(s) and return to us via this email. To ensure the attachment goes through, please CC the following email address: photonoreply@blurb.com

We use these images to follow-up on quality issues at our print facilities, and we appreciate your help in maintaining our high standards.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about this reprint process.

Best Wishes, Arthur
    Blurb Customer Support Blurb.com/Help

WOW! That is wonderful IMO, very cool of them to do that. This is only my second book with them and my total orders amount to roughly a dozen or so copies so far. My fingers are crossed that the next books will both be sharp, but I'm impressed at how they are handling it so far... thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Thank you for sharing that. I was thinking about contacting about this 2nd book because it looks like they rushed it to get it out, there were a few other things that weren't quite right about it.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    First blurb book.

I made one for my mom for Christmas with pictures of my kids. I'm not crazy about the functionality of their layouts. I got an image wrap, just to see what it looked like. It was flatter (finish wise) than I thought it would be...but it looks good. The book was packaged in a way that it was kind of squished in shipping, not damaged, just squished the ends of the cover don't match up perfectly. Maybe it was because my book was only 25 pages. The actual prints look great, color is good, sharp, the output is what I expected. I did not opt for the premium paper, but I would in the future, I wasn't crazy about the finish of the standard paper. It isn't bad, but the paper is very flat, and kind of low contrast. Overall it is a good book, and worth what you pay for it. I don't currently offer an option for a designed album in my packages, but I would suggest Blurb as a place clients could design their own.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Here's a quick gallery comparing the 2 books that I got - remember, they are sending me new copies of BOTH books free of charge...

http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gallery/6893290_Szm3t

441025077_KEgZT-L-1.jpg

441027884_seELo-L-1.jpg

441026808_xDKog-L-1.jpg

441045769_vqXFi-L.jpg
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    thanks for the comparisons!
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • Options
    gdackermgdackerm Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Blurb vs Apple vs ....
    I've been following this thread trying to figure out how to get a really great wedding book done. I did a wedding for a TV personality so the expectation of the book was high, but not higher than my own expectations. To get the couple started on a design, I crated two wedding book samples. One of them I created in Aperture and the other I created with Blurb, large format and premium paper.

The book from Apple has better feeling paper and sharper, color correct images throughout. I would love to use apple for the final book but I can't get a big enough book made

The book from blurb (with premium paper) feels a bit cheap when compared to the apple book. The added page at the back with the bar code is cheap, would like to remove it. The book binding is not as good either and some of the colors on a few pages is less than perfect. However, I do like is the size of the book. There is also one effect that my client loves which is the ability to put a hairline black border around the images.

As I mentioned this client has high expectations and, luckily for me, they thought the photography was excellent. I've delivered all the prints and digital images and now just need to get them a final book. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Greg

www.liveactionimages.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008

Which other vendor are you going to use??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website