Lens mount problem

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in Cameras
Hi all -

Sudden problem on my Rebel XT, discovered when I went to try on a new lens at the local store's big autumn sale and mfr rep/demo day...

The mount is suddenly incredibly stiff. Like, scary oh-my-gosh-am-I-going-to-break-something-if-I-keep-turning-this stiff. I was trying to check out a Tamron 17-50, and I actually made the rep do it because I was afraid I would break his lens and didn't want to be responsible for it!

My EF-S plastic mount lenses are fine; no noticeable jamming there, so it seems to be the metal ones (once I discovered the problem I tried my 28-105 usm with a metal mount and that too was very tight).

This has seemingly come out of nowhere - last time I used the camera about a week ago, no problem at all swapping between all of my lenses (including the 28-105), and it's been in its bag since then, not dropped, nothing I can think of to account for this.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited September 7, 2008
    Definitely need to take that body to a reputable camera repair facility. It's possible something has gotten onto the lens mount, possibly the back side of the mount.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Definitely need to take that body to a reputable camera repair facility. It's possible something has gotten onto the lens mount, possibly the back side of the mount.

Drat - I was afraid that might be the case. II'll get it checked out. THANKS for responding so quickly!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Ok, update on this. Mysterious, is the short answer.

Took it up to the local good camera store. First guy looked at it and couldn't see anything. Called his colleague (who's the store's tech guru) to have a look at it and he tried the lenses. All agreed that SOMETHING was catching on the metal mount, even though nobody could see *anything* inside or outside that could be causing the problem.

Tech Guru wiped the mountings with cleaning fluid, tightened the screws on both mount and lens(even though they weren't noticeably loose) and we tried again.

Big improvement.

The metal mount is still a snug, but within normal bounds. He agreed that it was weird - especially the sudden onset; if it hadn't been for the Tamron lens yesterday, we both would have assumed it was my metal-mount lens that was the problem, but because the Tamron is what ALERTED me to it, that can't be the case.

Obviously, if it happens again it will have to go back to Canon for a checkup, but for the time being it seems to be ok. Wait and watch, I guess.....

If anybody's encountered anything similar before, please do share - it certainly has everybody who's looked at it so far baffled!