Swedish Hockey!

EmpssonEmpsson Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Sports
My brother had a game this weekend and I took some shots..=)
Tell me what you think:D

dsc0006hv1.jpg

dsc0007ug1.jpg

dsc0019mo5.jpg

Just so you know...we won the game:clap
Thanks =)

Comments

• sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Empsson wrote:
    My brother had a game this weekend and I took some shots..=)
    Tell me what you think:D

dsc0006hv1.jpg

dsc0007ug1.jpg

dsc0019mo5.jpg

Just so you know...we won the gameclap.gif
    Thanks =)

your photos are 2 wide, no detail, no action, bad light, vignetting
  • EmpssonEmpsson Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    I'm not a great sportsshooter..and the lightning sucked in there:D But thanx for the posivite feedbackmwink.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    For remembering the game, these will work. To improve, a longer & faster lens will help. A 70-200 f/2.8 in Canon speak would work well from ice level. Also, watch your horizon & shutter speeds (lots of blurring).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Well guys don´t be harsh now..Obviously these pictures arn´t ment to be on the cover of some sportsmag. It´s more artistic and they are taken with what you have..

Better not saying anything then writing stuff that is crystal clear?
    I agree with you indeed...but still, they are not ment to be mwink.gif
  • rschroeter2124rschroeter2124 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2008
    These aren't bad beginner shots. You are on the righ track - for one you seem to have great hockey sense. You shot pictures of critical moments (shot, 2-on-0, breakaway). That's good stuff. You seem to be far away. If your are using slow glass (ie: cheap stuff - f/3.5 or further down) i suggest you get yourself to the rinkside (glass, or benches). Get into the penalty box - tell them you are press if you have to. Climb onto the ice! (ok not that far, but you should almost implicate yourself so much that people are literally telling you to leave- then you'll know you're close enough). After that, use the gear you have to do what you can. Fill the frame, use high ISO, and get lots of shots. Get a 50mm prime (f/1.8 for example) and just shoot what comes within the cross-hairs.
    This is my advice, then post more, and put a link here.

edited: Please also post your gear, and possibly basic exif. Might help to know what you're dealing with here.
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008

ya know, I've read a couple of your posts today and I must say that you come off as quite the smug (no pun intended) jerk. This forum has been a great help to photographers such as myself, and it isn't because some joe slings around one line zingers because he (or she) has a need to make themself feel better. If you're not going to do anything but contribute useless comments that serve no purpose other then to put yourself over, do us a favor and go on about your day instead.

ok, Im off the box now!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Yes, unfortunately shooting sports is a difficult thing to do. And since this is a sports forum and not a gear forum the bar is raised a bit.

There are several general concepts that apply to most sports shots:
    1. Fill the frame with the action.
    2. Faces, faces, faces
    3. Capture / freeze peak action

There's more to it but those are some starting points. To fill the frame and still get good shots you're not going to be able to rely on heavy cropping. Which means you need to have a long enough lens AND be close enough to the action. A 70-200 2.8 was suggested and it's a good choice. But even with that lens you need to be right up at the ice. 200mm doesn't give you as much reach as you might think - about 75 feet.

As for faces, you need to have the proper exposure (i.e. exposing for faces not ice or uniforms) and you also have to have the right angle. So getting faces is difficult when shooting from up high.

If you're interested in shooting more sports I might suggest renting a better lens. It also would be a good idea to start with an easier sport to shoot. But if it has to be hockey then you might try a rec or youth league - something where you can get closer - perhaps shoot from a penalty box.

And, as mentioned you really want a better freeze of the action - expect to shoot around 1/500 f2.8 and ISO 1600 in GOOD light.

Again, sports shooting isn't easy but it's rewarding. But it takes effort and some proper equipment.

You may consider some of this harsh advice - it's not meant to be harsh. But this is a sports photography forum not a sports fan forum. Hopefully you'll take this advice in the spirit it is intended. Good luck!
  • EmpssonEmpsson Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Allright ! :D Thanks for writing everybody...I'll keep your constructive critisism in mind til next time!