How to synchronize times on SmugMug

sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited September 14, 2008 in Finishing School
I shot a soccer game with a friend of mine the other day and we both upload to the same gallery. Because of that, it's essential that our timestamps are synchronized. Of course, I forgot to before the game, but thankfully we both captured the exact same moment. So I set my photo to the time his was taken at, and LR adjusted all the others by the same amount.

However, when I uploaded mine to our gallery, my shots still were off by an hour. When looking at the entire EXIF data of the exported JPEG in Photoshop, I see no mention of the original time, just the updated time that is synchronized with my friend's shot, but when uploaded, SM (in the Photo Info panel) shows the original time. How can I fix this and offset my photos by an hour?

Thanks.

The link to my friend's shot is: http://gallery.lsb-photo.com/gallery/5834950_CMGSD#361923324
And my shot is: http://gallery.lsb-photo.com/gallery/5834950_CMGSD#367868187

Comments

• HaighHaigh Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    How can I fix this and offset my photos by an hour?

I´m currently fixing the same kind of problem using ACDSee and a Freeware program called Exif Date Changer.

I haven´t uploaded to SmugMug yet but your problem seems to be that LR is not updating the field that smugmug uses do identify date taken.

Be sure your software is updating all of these:
    EXIF: Camera: Date/Time
    EXIF: Image: Date/Time Original
    IPTC: Date/Time Created
    File: Created Date
    File: Modified Date

I believe smugmug uses one of the firts three. The two file properties should not be a problem but you should check them too just to make sure.

Use an exif editor or a software like ACDSee (free trial) to check.

Robert
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Since you have already adjusted the photo time of all the photos, another possibility is to rename the files to include a timestamp (hhmmss_SoccerGame, or some such) and then sort the SmugMug gallery by filename.
  • sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Haigh wrote:
    I´m currently fixing the same kind of problem using ACDSee and a Freeware program called Exif Date Changer.

I haven´t uploaded to SmugMug yet but your problem seems to be that LR is not updating the field that smugmug uses do identify date taken.

Be sure your software is updating all of these:
    EXIF: Camera: Date/Time
    EXIF: Image: Date/Time Original
    IPTC: Date/Time Created
    File: Created Date
    File: Modified Date

I believe smugmug uses one of the firts three. The two file properties should not be a problem but you should check them too just to make sure.

Use an exif editor or a software like ACDSee (free trial) to check.

Robert
    This doesn't fix anything, unfortunately. I've looked at the EXIF in Photoshop, examining each of those fields, and every one shows the desired time. However, SmugMug still shows the unaltered time. What gives? Any help here, SmugMug?

Thanks!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    I shot a soccer game with a friend of mine the other day and we both upload to the same gallery. Because of that, it's essential that our timestamps are synchronized. Of course, I forgot to before the game, but thankfully we both captured the exact same moment. So I set my photo to the time his was taken at, and LR adjusted all the others by the same amount.

However, when I uploaded mine to our gallery, my shots still were off by an hour. When looking at the entire EXIF data of the exported JPEG in Photoshop, I see no mention of the original time, just the updated time that is synchronized with my friend's shot, but when uploaded, SM (in the Photo Info panel) shows the original time. How can I fix this and offset my photos by an hour?

Thanks.

The link to my friend's shot is: http://gallery.lsb-photo.com/gallery/5834950_CMGSD#361923324
    And my shot is: http://gallery.lsb-photo.com/gallery/5834950_CMGSD#367868187
    Hi Scott, there's no way to change it on SmugMug, sorry :( We read the exif - and if it's accurate with your friend's, then it' be the same.

Perhaps something got changed in Lightroom ? ne_nau.gif
  • sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Scott, there's no way to change it on SmugMug, sorry :( We read the exif - and if it's accurate with your friend's, then it' be the same.

Perhaps something got changed in Lightroom ? ne_nau.gif
    Just to check, which field in the metadata do you read to take the "Date taken" field when sorted that way?