Wide-Angle and Football (what do you use)

rockcanyonphotosrockcanyonphotos Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Sports
The occassional opportunity like the one below is the reason I keep a wide angle strapped around my neck at high school football games. I alternate between the 16-35mm and the 24-70mm.

I would love to hear what others use on their back-up camera and examples of shots you have come up with. IMO when they work out, the wide-angle shots tend to steal the show.

regards, Kevin
www.rockcanyonphotos.com

Canon 1DM4, 300mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 200mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8

Comments

• sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    The occassional opportunity like the one below is the reason I keep a wide angle strapped around my neck at high school football games. I alternate between the 16-35mm and the 24-70mm.

I would love to hear what others use on their back-up camera and examples of shots you have come up with. IMO when they work out, the wide-angle shots tend to steal the show.

regards, Kevin

balls and faces work better, than backs and butts
  • rockcanyonphotosrockcanyonphotos Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008

happier?
    www.rockcanyonphotos.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    If you aren't able to contribute to the OP's question, why bother?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    What lens do you use?
    I actually like the shot, I use a 70-200 IS and often miss these when they are close. Still trying to get the balance between shutter speed and light. I can get the motion with no blur but it is noisy, or get ride of the noise and have motion blur. Any tips? Thanks
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Your last picture is a focus problem, not a shutter problem. For night games, you need to be in manual mode and set the ss to 1/250, A 2.8, and ISO 1600 if you try to shoot without flash. Look at your histogram and adjust ss from there, but 1/250 is really the minimum in freezing action.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Not sure in either of your posted shots how either benefited from a wide angle. You've got a lot of uninteresting dead space in both. Quite honestly, in HS football outside of celebration shots I haven't seen much use for wide angle. The backgrounds are usually very boring and don't lend themselves to wide angle.

Also - I would add - a very critical part of sports photography is faces as the other poster eluded to. Having a front view is only part of it - you still cant make out faces. They are what make good sports shots. So expose for the faces - use flash if you can. IF not at least expose for faces and not uniform highlights. Your second shot is sharp but it's deminished because the face is in complete shadow.

As for multiple lenses for HS football. 400mm or 300mm 2.8 as primary and 70-200 2.8 as secondary.
    edited September 12, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Your last picture is a focus problem, not a shutter problem. For night games, you need to be in manual mode and set the ss to 1/250, A 2.8, and ISO 1600 if you try to shoot without flash. Look at your histogram and adjust ss from there, but 1/250 is really the minimum in freezing action.
    I knew this was a focus problem, but it was the only one I had on my work computer that I could demonstrate the noise. Thanks for the tips, I'll try them tonight. Patrick
    PDG
    johng wrote:
    Not sure in either of your posted shots how either benefited from a wide angle. You've got a lot of uninteresting dead space in both. Quite honestly, in HS football outside of celebration shots I haven't seen much use for wide angle. The backgrounds are usually very boring and don't lend themselves to wide angle.

Also - I would add - a very critical part of sports photography is faces as the other poster eluded to. Having a front view is only part of it - you still cant make out faces. They are what make good sports shots. So expose for the faces - use flash if you can. IF not at least expose for faces and not uniform highlights. Your second shot is sharp but it's deminished because the face is in complete shadow.

As for multiple lenses for HS football. 400mm or 300mm 2.8 as primary and 70-200 2.8 as secondary.

Agree, I usually end up cropping them but to be able to capture the true action I have found the motion can be so fast I am better served to have more "dead space" to start with. I am only selling these as a hobby to raise money for sports program. All customers are parents and family who are re-living the moments and don't really appreciate the true photographic genius or lack there off but rather did you capture their kid making a good tackle, catch or run. Their memories fill in the gaps of what is missing. Less pressure on me as I am doing it as a hobby and learning. thanks for the feedback. Below is a a face shot I think you are referring to.
    PDG
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    Graham - my comments were not directed at you but the OP. Not sure why you're hijacking this thread with photos. If you want comments & critique please start a new thread and we'll be glad to comment. But let's let the OP have his thread back :D
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    If you aren't able to contribute to the OP's question, why bother?

Actually, its pretty good advice.

I started out shooting the ball and soon realized the simple truth in this saying.

Powerful advice, not the slight you may have interperated.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited September 14, 2008
    ok, let's kill this thread... While I don't mind the critiques of the photos I posted, I was really looking for other ideas on the use of wide-angle lens at HS football games. Since it appears no one else seems to like doing this, I don't really think it is worth pursuing this topic any further.

regards, kevin
    www.rockcanyonphotos.com

edited September 15, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Graham - my comments were not directed at you but the OP. Not sure why you're hijacking this thread with photos. If you want comments & critique please start a new thread and we'll be glad to comment. But let's let the OP have his thread back :D

I am sorry. Kinda new to this. I apologize.
    PDG
    edited September 15, 2008
    I am sorry. Kinda new to this. I apologize.

nobody's fault... I am not pointing fingers.... I just thought more people used wide-angle lens at football games.
    www.rockcanyonphotos.com