Options

MA #2. Homeworks 2.18 Balance of the compositions.

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited October 15, 2008 in Assignments
Please, after reading material, post here your homeworks on the theme of Balance of the composition.
Thank you in advance,
Yuri

Comments

• Options
    edited September 16, 2008
    My try
    Please, after reading material, post here your homeworks on the theme of Balance of the composition.
    Thank you in advance,
    Yuri

7592.jpg

What about yours?
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    privyet Yuri!

As soon as I submit a satisfactory picture to MA #1, I will start immediately on this one.

I tend to take better landscape photos than portraits of people, but I love to shoot people, especially women.

This assignment has various parts for homeworks. Do I post all of the homeworks here, or just the "Ballance of the composition" section here.

Thanks for your time, you are a master of your craft.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2008
    I feel this image has good balance because it has curves, shapes and lines that draw you back to the subject. All thought it might not be under natural light, I felt this is a good picture to show my understanding of balance of the composition.

379217926_rwnxc-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I feel this image has good balance because it has curves, shapes and lines that draw you back to the subject. All thought it might not be under natural light, I felt this is a good picture to show my understanding of balance of the composition.

379217926_rwnxc-L.jpg
    Frank!
    Thank you very much for your homework!
    Yes, I like your photo very much (as, I assume, your model does!mwink.gif)
    At the same time you have putted yourself into a corner here:
    I mean left bottom corner of the photo :-)

This part of white dress is out of color and bright range of the whole photo to me. At the same time we have a chain and cant cut a white without cutting a chain...

I think next time you will have a more close look at your frame BEFORE pressing knob. I am talking about ... oh.. how to disengage yourself from all except what you see in your VIEWFINDER.

Our representation is always in our minds and it is very important to cut it all except what we see in our viewfinder. because it all will be cut by your camera!
    Your camera has NO representation about what is out of frame.
    Interesting, do you understand me?
    Sorry for my English,
    Yuri
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    Frank!
    Thank you very much for your homework!
    Yes, I like your photo very much (as, I assume, your model does!mwink.gif)
    At the same time you have putted yourself into a corner here:
    I mean left bottom corner of the photo :-)

This part of white dress is out of color and bright range of the whole photo to me. At the same time we have a chain and cant cut a white without cutting a chain...

I think next time you will have a more close look at your frame BEFORE pressing knob. I am talking about ... oh.. how to disengage yourself from all except what you see in your VIEWFINDER.

Our representation is always in our minds and it is very important to cut it all except what we see in our viewfinder. because it all will be cut by your camera!
    Your camera has NO representation about what is out of frame.
    Interesting, do you understand me?
    Sorry for my English,
    Yuri

I completely understand now. That's why I'm doing these assignments! Before, I didn't know what was 'distracting'. Now I have a better idea. Although this is not a bad shot, it could have been better. For example, I could have asked her to change her shirt to a color that would have matched the entire mood of the scene better.

And you are right, simplicity is critical because it doesn't distract from your subject. The chain takes away the attention because it is also just as bright and out of sync with the rest of the frame. I think this stands out even more because I used a flash. In natural light, I think it would have been less distracting. What do you think Yuri?

In your lovely example photo, your model has a chain on but it's not distracting, it's complementary. (Great Photo by the way, wow.) You found the balance and I'm sure you have no problem telling your model to remove anything distracting.

More and more, I'm starting to remove hair from the face, checking to see where the shadows will fall, looking at my color wheel for color harmony, etc. Slowly but surely. I need to next work on my natural light portrait. This will be done soon. Thanks for your time.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    In natural light, I think it would have been less distracting. What do you think Yuri?

In your lovely example photo, your model has a chain on but it's not distracting, it's complementary. (Great Photo by the way, wow.) You found the balance and I'm sure you have no problem telling your model to remove anything distracting.
    Thank you, Frank!
    The question is "Does it (chain and pendent) look one of the main subjects in the composition?"
    In your photo it does - what we see first? Yes - eyes and this "thing" on a chain...
    Did you have a wish to make it the main object?
    I think, No...
    Again, thank you.
    Will be waiting for your photos...
    Yuri