Lens Inquiry to the masses

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Cameras
I'm out to purchase my first fast telephoto. I have ~$1000 in the bank +/- maybe a few hundred. I first was looking to pickup a Nikon in the 200-400mm range, f/4 or below, preferably f/2.8. Cruising eBay I located this lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150290494406&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

The damage I'm not terribly concerned about, but I had a question about mounting to my D70 (or hopefully my future D2H).

1) Will it autofocus?
2) Will the aperature be correctly controlled via the command dials
3) What's your (!) picture appraised value?

Thanks everyone :thumb
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    I'm out to purchase my first fast telephoto. I have ~$1000 in the bank +/- maybe a few hundred. I first was looking to pickup a Nikon in the 200-400mm range, f/4 or below, preferably f/2.8. Cruising eBay I located this lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150290494406&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

The damage I'm not terribly concerned about, but I had a question about mounting to my D70 (or hopefully my future D2H).

1) Will it autofocus?
    2) Will the aperature be correctly controlled via the command dials
    3) What's your (!) picture appraised value?

Thanks everyone thumb.gif

This is a "very" old manual focus lens. I am uncertain if the D70 will confirm focus with this lens. Normal operation would be to open the aperture to f2.8, focus manually, then stop down the aperture manually to the proper f setting. I do not think that the D70 will meter with this lens, so you would either guess the exposure or use an external meter.

I would be concerned with the reported "crack" on this lens. If indeed the crack occured as the seller is stating, it is a stress crack and it could propogate in an instant, splitting the front element in half. Then again, nothing may happen over years of service. No one can know for certain.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    personally, i'd pass on that tamron lens. i'm generally quite fond of tamron products however that one just looks too old and too used for my personal comfort. when shooting long, it can be tough to focus, especially if you're looking for something fast. i'd have to say that AF is practically a necessity for low-light shots; which i'm assuming you're interested in if you're wanting fast glass.

if you don't need the range to 400mm, might i suggest the new tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and throwing a tamron "pro" sp 1.4x teleconverter on its backend. it's a great lens, sharp, quick for not being AF-S, and within your pricepoint. you get the versatility of f/2.8 up to 200mm, and when you need to go longer, that 1.4x tc brings your f/2.8 lens to f/4. which again, is within the range of performance you're looking for.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    thanks everyone! Sorry for the external link...

I primarily shoot outdoor sports, (tennis, baseball, football, lax, soccer.) Secondary use, however, is inside a theater - professionally lit, but still ends up super dark in there.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    with shooting fast movement like you will, a lens w/ good AF is pretty much a necessity. give the tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 a try. as far as camera bodies go, i'd forgo the D2h you're consider; far too noisy. keep saving up for a D90 or D700; you'll get much better low light performance and obviously greater resolution.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
    edited September 8, 2008
    Resolution is not terribly important to me. Publication medium is almost exclusively to web. I'm actually debating a d1h or d1x just because I don't need more than 2-3MP even if I decide to crop. Our photo galleries run at 1000x700.

Again, thanks everyone! Basically I need ANOTHER job to fuel this hobby :cry

~Herbert Keppler
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    If you like switching batteries out every 150-200 shots, the D1h is the camera for you.
    edited September 8, 2008
    dang, forget that... is the d2hs any better?

~Herbert Keppler
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    I also looked at getting a D2h and the info i read is has a much better battery life.
    edited September 8, 2008
    spec is for 2,900 frames with a new battery... compared to almost 4K on a D300 if I remember correctly. Anything over 1000 I think would be sufficient. I always try to carry a spare card and battery in my pocket anyway...

~Herbert Keppler
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    $1000 is not much for a fast telephoto >200mm at all. The next best f2.8
    lens found on the used market is somewhere at $1500-$2000 and it's the
    Sigma 300mm/2.8 EX HSM followed by the Sigma 120-300mm/2.8 EX HSM.
    If you are willing to buy a 300mm/4.0 you will be able to save alot of dough.
    Choices, choices.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston