xsi vs 40d

Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Cameras
So i've really been thinking hard on which to upgrade to and i just can't decide. What are your alls opinions on the 40d to the xsi?
http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
jtrankler@gmail.com
Canon 60D
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Canon 70-200 F4 L IS

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    The 40D hands down. Much better camera.
    Now, the XSi is great too, but the 40D is on a totally different plane.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    If i have to make choice i will go for 40D. If you can afford it go for it mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Yea i have been leaning more in that direction(the 40d). If i could find a buyer for my xt then i could prolly easily handle it.
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • pfbzpfbz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2008
    It depends on what you are looking for...
    • Image quality: XSi is as good or better.
    • Construction quality: 40D by a mile.
    • Handling: The controls on the 40D fall perfectly to hand. Intuitive operation without taking your eye off the finder.
    • Price: With large discounts on the 40D and small discounts on the XSi, not much of a premium for the 40D.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    I have the XSi and it is a great camera. I am planning on getting the 50D which will be out in October, and keeping both. You can't go wong with either. If you are doing action shots a lot, I would go for the 40d since it is faster. If you can wait and save a few extra dollars, you might want to get the 50D. :D
    edited September 8, 2008
    I mostly am shooting weddings with my friend, and after using his 40d and 5d i just cant stand my little XT any more. Worked great for starting out but im ready for an upgrade. Hoping to find a well priced 40d now that the 50d's are out, can only afford so much ya know :cry
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    pfbz wrote:
    It depends on what you are looking for...
    • Image quality: XSi is as good or better.
    • Construction quality: 40D by a mile.
    • Handling: The controls on the 40D fall perfectly to hand. Intuitive operation without taking your eye off the finder.
    • Price: With large discounts on the 40D and small discounts on the XSi, not much of a premium for the 40D.

I like your list, so I used it for positives of the XSi.

* Image quality: both great.
    * Construction quality: If you drop your camera a lot, get the 40D. I've owned the 300D, XT, XTi and now the XSi, I haven't been able to break one yet.
    * Handling: I bought the 30D after I had owned the 300D, XT, and the XTi. I hated the handling of the 30D.
    I hope the the viewfinder on the 40D is better than the one of the 30D. I had a hard time seeing any of the settings through it, and I really didn't like the lcd on the top of the camera. When I put the camera on a tripod, to view the settings on top was a pain.
    The info of the back of the XSi is more to my liking.
    *Price: hands down the XSi.

For weddings, I would think that lower light performance would be important, but I don't know which camera performs better in low light.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Why not a 30D instead? Much cheaper now than a 40D.
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Little T wrote:
    I mostly am shooting weddings with my friend

Rebel XT
    Tamron 28-70 2.8
    Sigma DC 18-50 2.8 macro
    J: Really, at this stage I wouldn't worry much about upgrading your body, unless it would provide you with some very tangible benefits given your intended subject. Such as an extra stop worth of ISO noise performance (like the 5D that you mentioned). Or perhaps if your Autofocus seems sluggish or at times inaccurate (then a 40D might help a bit along those lines).

H: But C.W. would suggest that money right now might be better spent on your lens lineup. I would think that the addition of a 70-200/f2.8 (IS pref) or a fast prime like the 35L or 50/f1.4 would expand your shooting possibilities by a much larger measure. Also do you have a great flash and bracket?

J: I know that it can be hard shooting elbow to elbow with someone who has a "nicer" rig than you, especially in the Pro realm, but it's really the results that matter (especially to your clients). You gotta think long and hard about exactly where you need to put your hard-earned paychecks. Otherwise you could spend a LOT and still not produce any better shots.

H: Good luck and happy shooting.

J&H
    edited September 9, 2008
    J&H: thanks for the input, im actually wanting to upgrade for the better auto focus and also for a camera that will operate better in the low light (receptions are a killer) Glass isnt as big of a deal for me right now cause im able to use my friends glass plus for most instances.
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS