taking baby steps in Lightroom, but need more newbie help please

thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited September 10, 2008 in Finishing School
OK, I finally got off my duff and forced myself to open Lightroom and start playing with it. I figured out how to import photos from my CF cards, rank them and export them into Photoshop, but when I ranked them, they only exported 5starred items and not the other ones. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Thanks

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    thenimirra wrote:
    OK, I finally got off my duff and forced myself to open Lightroom and start playing with it. I figured out how to import photos from my CF cards, rank them and export them into Photoshop, but when I ranked them, they only exported 5starred items and not the other ones. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Thanks

If you have a selection of images or a filter active (e.g. only displaying 5-star images in the library view) when you choose Export, that's what it will export.

If you go the the library module, turn filters off so you see all your images and select all, then do the export, you should get everything.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Thank you John, I will check that out when I get home. Know doubt you are right on the money....I do think I only had the 5 star pics highlighted when I clicked export.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    thenimirra wrote:
    Thank you John, I will check that out when I get home. Know doubt you are right on the money....I do think I only had the 5 star pics highlighted when I clicked export.
    Just curious, why are you in such a hurry to export in bulk to PS? There is so much that you can do in LR (especially LR2) that you may never need to export. For me, it's about file sizes, and starting with RAWs at ~11MB and ending up with PSDs or TIFFs at twice the size is something I try to do judiciously.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Just curious, why are you in such a hurry to export in bulk to PS? There is so much that you can do in LR (especially LR2) that you may never need to export. For me, it's about file sizes, and starting with RAWs at ~11MB and ending up with PSDs or TIFFs at twice the size is something I try to do judiciously.

I agree. 98% of my images don't go to Photoshop any more. I get them just how I want them in LR. Only when I need certain types of advanced cloning or pixel manipulation or fancy masking do I go to Photoshop any more.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question