Options

Re-Shoot of Caterpillar using KENKO Tubes

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited May 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi there folks.......last night I was over on the Sony Forum on Dpreview, and was reading through some replies to a post of mine.

How dumb am I :bash when I brought my Canon Gear, I made sure I got a set of Kenko AUTO Extension Tubes so that I could attempt to do extreme Macros........well duhh :scratch why haven't I been using them :dunno .

So I went outside after midnight mind you, and brought in 2 Caterpillars off the little plant near the back door, and re did my shots this time using the KENKO Tubes...........and am I pleased to bits or what :clap :clap :clap

There is NOT VIGNETTING whooooooohhooooooo!!!! Alllllllrighty !!!!!!!! :D

Kenko Tubes come as a set of Three, each is a different size, so you can use them as single Tubes, or you can combine them in any order, and the good thing is they are NOT expensive at all, I brought mine from B&H in New York.

Image taken with Canon 20D, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 580EX Flash, a full set of Kenko Extension Tubes......taken in my kitchen with a desk lamp used to help luminate the subject......... Enjoy....... Skippy (Australia)

IMG_3101Re_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Very Cool shot. Great detail.
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    unbelievable!!! as sonn as i get a chance i have to reread your posts and figure out what and how you do this!

amazing!!
    troy
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there folks.......last night I was over on the Sony Forum on Dpreview, and was reading through some replies to a post of mine.

How dumb am I :bash when I brought my Canon Gear, I made sure I got a set of Kenko AUTO Extension Tubes so that I could attempt to do extreme Macros........well duhh headscratch.gif why haven't I been using them ne_nau.gif .

So I went outside after midnight mind you, and brought in 2 Caterpillars off the little plant near the back door, and re did my shots this time using the KENKO Tubes...........and am I pleased to bits or what clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

There is NOT VIGNETTING whooooooohhooooooo!!!! Alllllllrighty !!!!!!!! :D

Kenko Tubes come as a set of Three, each is a different size, so you can use them as single Tubes, or you can combine them in any order, and the good thing is they are NOT expensive at all, I brought mine from B&H in New York.

Image taken with Canon 20D, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 580EX Flash, a full set of Kenko Extension Tubes......taken in my kitchen with a desk lamp used to help luminate the subject......... Enjoy....... Skippy (Australia)

IMG_3101Re_filtered.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Thanks Greaper
    GREAPER wrote:
    Very Cool shot. Great detail.
    Ohhhhhhh I can't wait to get a decent size beetle or bug rolleyes1.gif I'm hanging out for something else to shoot :D Thanks for looking .... Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Excellent Work thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Hey there Troy
    windoze wrote:
    unbelievable!!! as sonn as i get a chance i have to reread your posts and figure out what and how you do this!

amazing!!
    troy
    You would have a ball with a set of these Troy, they allow you to use your Auto Focus on your lens, however most times I turn off Auto and focus Manually, it's a bit easier to do.

I need a scorpion hehehe, I keep asking the folks at work for someone to please find me a scorpion and bring it in :D

Take Care Troy....... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Thanks Ben
    bfjr wrote:
    Excellent Work thumb.gif
    I love this sort of work, it's a matter of finding the right combination, see in the past I have not be a lover of FLASH Photography, mainly because I could never figure out how to use it.

I brought a Canon 580EX Flash and I just use it on Auto, works for me :D
    So I'm happy clap.gif thanks for the comment...... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Excellent Skippy.thumb.gif
    Looks like your enjoying yorself.Keep at it with the tubes.
    They have been on my wish list for sometime.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Nice shot Skippy.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Thanks John
    Excellent Skippy.thumb.gif
    Looks like your enjoying yorself.Keep at it with the tubes.
    They have been on my wish list for sometime.
    Having come from a Sony F828, I used to use a Canon 250D attached to it to do my Macros, when I tried this combo on my 20D and the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, I couldn't get it to work ne_nau.gif I still don't understand why the Canon 250D doesn't produce similar results on a DSLR eek7.gif

The Kenko Tubes are far less complicated thats for sure, you simply put them on in the order you want then attach your lens to them and that's it :D no fussing around at all clap.gif ..... thank you for your comment..... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Thanks Khaos
    Khaos wrote:
    Nice shot Skippy.thumb.gif
    I gotta find me some more Bugs rolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    well that covered my questions that I didn't even have to ask. Is a reversed lens better then a tube??? from the looks of it both are great. I however think the tube shot is better.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Hi there ysr612
    ysr612 wrote:
    well that covered my questions that I didn't even have to ask. Is a reversed lens better then a tube??? from the looks of it both are great. I however think the tube shot is better.

You are able to get closer with the kenko's and you have no Vignetting clap.gif
    I'm still going to try the lens reversal using another lens when my ring gets here to enable me to attach it......just to see how that one goes :D

It will be interesting to see if it changes anything as it is bigger and actually a zoom lens where as the one I tried (49mm) was a prime.

Kenkos are less hastle to use thats for sure :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    Extension tubes question
    Skip,

Wow. Excellent results. Look at that guy eat! clap.gif Handheld? I'll bet your next experiment will be extension tube(s) + 100mm f/2.8 + another lens, reversed. Then we should be able to see those molecules, shouldn't we?

What are the f-stop reductions of the various tubes? Do they report electronically to the camera? And if so, what electronic info from the lens passes through (or doesn't)?

How much of a DOF reduction results? Harder to focus?

I have a set of these things for the FD lens series waaaaay back from the 70's, and I know there was a light reduction, but I can't remember how much that was. Obviously, they won't work on anything but the ancient Canon's.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Hi there Dave
    David_S85 wrote:
    Skip,

Wow. Excellent results. Look at that guy eat! clap.gif Handheld? I'll bet your next experiment will be extension tube(s) + 100mm f/2.8 + another lens, reversed. Then we should be able to see those molecules, shouldn't we?

What are the f-stop reductions of the various tubes? Do they report electronically to the camera? And if so, what electronic info from the lens passes through (or doesn't)?

How much of a DOF reduction results? Harder to focus?

I have a set of these things for the FD lens series waaaaay back from the 70's, and I know there was a light reduction, but I can't remember how much that was. Obviously, they won't work on anything but the ancient Canon's.
    Dave, Dave, Dave.......... ummmmmmm how do I tell you this ne_nau.gif
    I haven't got a clue what I am doing, I just know what I want to achieve and I set out to try and do just that.

I am not a technical person, never have been, never will be :D
    The Techo talk goes right over my head, I don't understand F Stops, or how they work with distances, I know that if I choose F2.8 I will get a blurred back ground and the higher the number like F8 the blurring will be less, and if I go to F22 I should have a sharp background as well as forground :D

That's it thats about my understanding of it

Focusing is really good if you do it Manually, the Canon 100mm tends to hunt if you get too close...... I hope one day I understand the technical things :D

Sorry I can't really help you with your question ne_nau.gif maybe someone who actually know's what they are doing can rolleyes1.gif I try, it has to count for something I guess :D Skippy (Australia)

Lemme find the EXIF File and post it..........

Original date/time: 2005:04:29 00:07:01
    Exposure time: 1/250
    Shutter speed: 1/250.00
    F-stop: 6.3
    ISO speed: 100
    Focal length: 100.0000
    Flash: Fired
    Exposure mode: Manual
    White balance: Auto
    Orientation: Top-left
    Aperture: 5.3107
    Exposure bias: 0.0000
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Exposure program: Manual
    Digitized date/time: 2005:04:29 00:07:01
    Modified date/time: 2005:04:29 09:53:45
    User comment:
    Custom rendered: Normal
    Scene capture type: Standard
    Camera make: Canon
    Camera model: Canon EOS 20D
    X resolution: 72.0000
    Y resolution: 72.0000
    Resolution unit: Inches
    Camera version: Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 Windows
    Colorspace: sRGB

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Freakishly good. thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif Love your macros Skippy!iloveyou.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Thanks MuskyDude
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Freakishly good. thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif Love your macros Skippy!iloveyou.gif

AJ

I wish I had a good supply of different kinds of bugs, but alas I don't ne_nau.gif they're not so easy to find around my place.... I hope to go looking on the weekend to see if I can find something else to photograph, only it's suppose to be raining......fingers crossed it doesn't rain too much :D

Thanks for the Thumbs Up :): Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Best macro ive seen in donkeys skip...BZ !! clap.gif
  • Options
    whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Very Very nice!The focus was right on.

Are those kenko's bright enough to shoot at an f5.6 or f8?

www.screensurge.com
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Thanks Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    Best macro ive seen in donkeys skip...BZ !! clap.gif
    They're hungry little buggars rolleyes1.gif hopefully they will morph real soon and not do too much damage to the little bush they are on :D

I shoot almost all my Macro bugs inside the house.....thanks for the comment.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Hi whamitlon101
    Very Very nice!The focus was right on.

Are those kenko's bright enough to shoot at an f5.6 or f8?
    I copied the EXIF file and this shot was at F6.3, however it was taken indoors, with two light sources....... a desk lamp, and a Canon 580Ex Flash.

I was just experimenting because it was getting close to 1am by the time I got to look at the images rolleyes1.gif I will see if I can find something else and set a higher F Stop to see what the results are......... I don't want my back ground sharp because I shoot them inside the house, they look natural enough with a blurred background, especially if you could see what really was in the background rolleyes1.gif it's just a cardboard box lined with white cardboard, and an old black T Shirt hanging over the back of it.

Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    Wooooo-Hooooo Skippy ^5
    Holy catapiller!!! This one is extremely close Skippy and extremely good. I can see why you're so excited thumb.gifthumb.gif I remember you writing that you had picked up some extension tubes and I was wondering when you were going to try them out? I think we'll be seeing more pics where you are using them.

The results are outstanding clap.gifclap.gif Good idea about using the desklamp as a secondary light thumb.gif

If this set up makes these catapillers look huge, it's gonna make your spideys look like MONSTERS :giggle

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Hey there Steve
    Holy catapiller!!! This one is extremely close Skippy and extremely good. I can see why you're so excited thumb.gifthumb.gif I remember you writing that you had picked up some extension tubes and I was wondering when you were going to try them out? I think we'll be seeing more pics where you are using them.

The results are outstanding clap.gifclap.gif Good idea about using the desklamp as a secondary light thumb.gif

If this set up makes these catapillers look huge, it's gonna make your spideys look like MONSTERS :giggle

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    The little blighters are eating my plant, but that's why I put them there, so they would attract these kinds of things :D hopefully they wont totally destroy the plant :D

I am hoping someone at work will give me a Scorpion, they are found down this way where I live, but I've never seen any around my place.

Be great to get a beetle even with a decent sized head too.

I am extremely happy about the sharpness and depth of field, my problem is finding new bugs......thanks for your kind words Steve..... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Skippy
    Excellent thumb.gif
    I will have to check out those extension tubes

But have other things on my list first eek7.gif ......I have a small addiction :jose(glass insanity)
    But I can stop anytime I want ...I just don't want to stop now :crazy

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I am hoping someone at work will give me a Scorpion, they are found down this way where I live, but I've never seen any around my place.
    They are hard to find skip. Best place is under the bark of a dead tree. I stood on one once in bare feet...carefull though as of all the things that have chomped on me from redbacks to brown snakes it was without doubt the most painfull.

The pain does not last long but it is very intense.
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    They are hard to find skip. Best place is under the bark of a dead tree. .
    here in TX when I was moving air fence moduals (big chunks of plastic and balloon type things for motorcycles or cars to run into.) Each unit we picked up must have had at least 10 on it.

I think if you want some try laying out large cardboard boxs for a week then move them quickly.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Hi there USAIR
    USAIR wrote:
    Excellent thumb.gif
    I will have to check out those extension tubes

But have other things on my list first eek7.gif ......I have a small addiction :jose(glass insanity)
    But I can stop anytime I want ...I just don't want to stop now :crazy

Thanks
    Fred
    Ohhhhhhhh hey that disease is caught from the internet ya know that don't ya eek7.gif I have it too :giggle I have two lenses in my sights mwink.gif and I plan to have both of them before the end of the year :D .

The Extension Tubes are not expensive at all, check them out at B&H.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Hi Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    They are hard to find skip. Best place is under the bark of a dead tree. I stood on one once in bare feet...carefull though as of all the things that have chomped on me from redbacks to brown snakes it was without doubt the most painfull.

The pain does not last long but it is very intense.
    One of the ladies I work with lives in the next town to me......just a stones throw away, and they get them inside their house, they are for some reason attracted to her bathroom ne_nau.gif she doesn't know why.

Now if I found one in my house I'd be bouncing off the walls with glee clap.gif:D

Thanks for the info...... another Scientist that lives in my neighbourhood told me exactly what you just did.........and I recently discovered that she and her husband are right into bird watching clap.gif and said they'd help me out when I get my big lens with places to find birds :D that was real nice of them.

You got your bags packed yet?? hey I heard your not allowed to lock your suite case on trips to USA now is that true??? .... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Ohhhh ysr612
    Hmmmmmm you mean make a mess in the back yard eek7.gifne_nau.gif
    I don't even have so much as a piece of wood in the back yard that shouldn't be there rolleyes1.gif no chipbark, no leaves, nuffin ne_nau.gif not even long grass.

Card board box's would look sooooooooooooo out of place in my yard :lol4 gawwd......it's too windy where I live to leave box's outside they'd end up in the ocean for sure......... I shall rely on my trusty workmates to supply me with them :D .......hmmmmm maybe I could suggest to them to put out the box's hehehe, they might look better in their backyard than in mine :D

All joking aside, I don't have any trees around my place or bark, but I know the two ladies I mentioned do, I'm pretty confident they will find one for me, thanks for the tip on how to catch them...... Skippy (Australia)
    ysr612 wrote:
    here in TX when I was moving air fence moduals (big chunks of plastic and balloon type things for motorcycles or cars to run into.) Each unit we picked up must have had at least 10 on it.

I think if you want some try laying out large cardboard boxs for a week then move them quickly.

• Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    J: Hey there Skippy. Those tubes are working great! (To borrow your phrase... "This is gob-smacking stuff" - WOW!!)

H: BTW, thanks for the nice comments iloveyou.gif
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=13281034

J: Hey, like David_S85 mentioned, are you gonna try the extension tubes plus the reversed 49mm??

H: And don't be afraid to try some really small apertures. At these "magnifications," your DOF will always be tiny tiny tiny.

Skippy wrote:
    I don't even have so much as a piece of wood in the back yard that shouldn't be there rolleyes1.gif no chipbark, no leaves, nuffin ne_nau.gif not even long grass.
    J: I bet if you let your yard get "trashy," you'll start to see a whole lot more critters! :D

H: Thanks for sharing the pics and technique. Be sure to post more!
    J&H
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    Thank You Jekyll & Hyde
    J: Hey there Skippy. Those tubes are working great! (To borrow your phrase... "This is gob-smacking stuff" - WOW!!)

H: BTW, thanks for the nice comments iloveyou.gif
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=13281034

J: Hey, like David_S85 mentioned, are you gonna try the extension tubes plus the reversed 49mm??

H: And don't be afraid to try some really small apertures. At these "magnifications," your DOF will always be tiny tiny tiny.

J: I bet if you let your yard get "trashy," you'll start to see a whole lot more critters! :D

H: Thanks for sharing the pics and technique. Be sure to post more!
    J&H
    Your work is just stunning, I found your website doing a search and thought WOW, actually I said WOW quite a lot :lol4 I said it backwards even :lol

I will indeed give it another try with the extention tubes and a lens in reverse as well :D I know where I can get some caterpillars rolleyes1.gif little buggars are still on my plant eating away rolleyes1.gif

I'll wait till this week when my other ring attachement comes in so I can try out this other lens in reverse.....thanks for commenting .... Skippy (Australia)