Image processing books

luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited April 29, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Hi All,

I'm doing some work on a pretty complex imaging problem, that I'm struggling to solve... I'm kind of out of my depth here, and my imagey friends are not around at the moment...

I would be most grateful if you could give me your recomendations for books on image processing...

I'm interested in technical material on engineering image processing systems, not guides to using software. I'm particulally interested algorithms for noise reduction.

Any hints/suggestions guys??

Many thanks,

Luke

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    Luke,

I would assume, and perhaps wrongly, that the latest approaches for NR are probably not published in books, since this discipline changes daily. That said, I tried to look up a few things for you.

First, I googled the words digital image noise reduction algorithm and got only 6 results. Not good.

Then I went straight over to Amazon.com, entered the same search words under a search in Books, and got 169 results. I wouldn't have guessed that they carried any publications on such topics at all.

Hope that helps.

I would be most grateful if you could give me your recomendations for books on image processing...

I'm interested in technical material on engineering image processing systems, not guides to using software. I'm particulally interested algorithms for noise reduction.

Any hints/suggestions guys??

Many thanks,

Luke
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    David,
    David_S85 wrote:
    I would assume, and perhaps wrongly, that the latest approaches for NR are probably not published in books, since this discipline changes daily.
    Hmm.... that depends, for examples NVidia's GPU Gems 2 is pretty up to date in its field, which is also pretty fast moving... Also to be honest I'm probably not yet in a position to understand the scientific papers published in the field, so I felt reading a book first, then moving on to the cutting edge stuff might be the way to go...
    I wouldn't have guessed that they carried any publications on such topics at all.
    Amazon are fairly amazing with their range! Though it's worth remembering that they seem to use an 'OR' based search system. so probably some of the ~160 hits might not be relevant.

But yes, I take your point, the reason I was asking was wondering whether people had experience of any of the books and could recomend/dis-recomend any of them, but I guess not...

I might try the dreaded Usenet, see if they have anything to say.

Thanks for your time anyhow David :-)

Cheers,

Luke
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    David,
    I might try the dreaded Usenet, see if they have anything to say.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I have dug up some amazing finds over the years with usenet searches.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky