Options

This is why I shoot RAW (img)

Daniel ChuiDaniel Chui Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited April 29, 2005 in Landscapes
"Shoot raw because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless".

Original exposure:

20769835-O.jpg

Final draft, including some slight toning:

20769834-O.jpg

The thing that got me thinking about this is that I will be assisting a wedding photographer who prefers if I shoot entirely JPEG. I am trying to tell him that if I shoot RAW, I can take better photos and better represent her services, but I'm not sure how I can convince her.

Many people are black and white about the issue... but hopefully examples like this can help explain why RAW is at times necessary.

EDITED:

Here's some stuff I added after reading som replies.

This is an extreme example of underexposure. The message of this post was never meant to say: go ahead and take crappy images, RAW will save you. Rather, it is meant to show that RAW gives you some room to breathe on the occasion that you fail to get the right exposure.

In this photo, some background info may be necessary. I had set the camera on Av mode. Ideally, I would have metered immediately and used manual, but the moment was passing before my eyes so I had to rely upon my camera. This is the result.

I just wanted to clear things up here. Nowhere do I claim that I did a good job on this image. My main point was that RAW gives you some room for error, if there is to be any error. In an ideal world, I would get exposure right every time. And indeed, this is the purpose of practice and learning from others: how to get the exposure right every time, like back in the days of film. But till I get to that level, I will shoot with RAW and still try and get exposure right. And when I'm wrong, I'll have some room to breathe.

In addition, I realize now that my main argument for RAW could have been articulated better. I've decided not to make this an issue with the photographer I'm working with... it may be an opportunity to challenge myself to getting the exposure and white balance perfect straight of the camera.

- Chui

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Chui
    Just show her some of your work...I think that will convince her thumb.gif

I have been trying to work on nailing the exposure so not to tweek too much in raw
    My problem is color just can't seem to get right

Good shot good example

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Raw
    Forgive me if I'm being too simplistic here, but maybe the photographer is not familiar with the conversion process????

If you shoot RAW does your camera automatically save a JPG too? If so maybe you can shoot RAW and just give him/her the JPG? Would that work?

Does shooting RAW slow down your camera?

Have fun at the wedding, and I hope you can share some of your photos with us here.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Just tell him that you'll give him everything in jpeg. Why would he care that you converted them from RAW before you gave them to him? It should be transparent to him.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    The thing that got me thinking about this is that I will be assisting a wedding photographer who prefers if I shoot entirely JPEG. I am trying to tell him that if I shoot RAW, I can take better photos and better represent her services, but I'm not sure how I can convince her.
    What is her reasoning for you shooting JPG? It might be a valid one.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Other than being lazy, I can't see any reason to shoot in jpeg again.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    What is her reasoning for you shooting JPG? It might be a valid one.

If you have control of the light - amount and color - and can do good exposures - jpgs will be much faster and easier, won't they?? Most wedding shooters should have control of the light and understand exposure with their rigs.

The first image in this thread was underexposed - that is, certainly, easier to fix in RAW, but if shot correctly, I suspect the correctly shot jpg would be as good as, or better than the second corrected RAW image. Don't get me wrong - I shoot most of my stuff in RAW - I have lots of time and am not being paid for my shooting or processing. But if I was being paid to shoot weddings, jpgs would be much faster and simpler IF I have complete and total control of the lighting.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Other than being lazy, I can't see any reason to shoot in jpeg again.

Wow, talk about seeing things in black and white. I'm shooting a shifter kart race on Saturday. I'm expecting 1000 to 1200 shots. Should I shoot in RAW? If so, why? Why waste time converting that many images to JPG. I'm not going to go every single one of them, asking myself if the exposure is right, if the white balance is right, if the contrast is fine. I'm going to set the camera up to get the shot right when I take the photo in the first place.

The following weekend is a two-day regional race. I'm expecting to take 2,000 - 2,500 photos. Shoot RAW for that? No freakin' way. Those photos need to be sorted, tagged, ranked, and uploaded FAST if I am going to get any sales. And RAW does nothing to help me in this type of photography.

That's a reason to shoot JPG.

Pathfinder is right. If you have controlled lighting, or unchanging lighting, and know how to user your camera, there's nothing wrong with shooting JPG.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Certainly there are advantages to each camp, raw & jpeg. If it were my choice in this situation, I would absolutely shoot RAW (or both if I had enough CF cards) and do a batch conversion to jpeg for the photographer. I would expect that the finished product is generally the most important for wedding photos, not speed. I would be able to do some post work in RAW for those photos that the photographer deems off colour, off exposure, etc.

If it were my choice ...

I really don't think the photographer needs a reason to want jpeg. It's their gig. There's absolutely nothing wrong with stating your case. Your arguments aren't irrational. But in the end, if the photographer still wants jpeg, I think her answer should be respected.

Brad
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Hey Daniel,

I shoot exclusively in RAW. Its easy for me because I'm retired and I have no deadlines to meet. I can go out and shoot 1000 images and then lay back and take a week to process them. I have no deadlines to meet and I will stilll get my pension checks no matter what happens.

I'm still very careful when I shoot because I know that if I get the exposure and WB nailed on the shots I can breeze through my post work. If I was a pro shooting weddings I would probably be forced to shoot jpgs because I would need a streamlined workflow to meet my work demands.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    I am trying to tell him that if I shoot RAW, I can take better photos and better represent her services, but I'm not sure how I can convince her.

Not to beat this to death, but I think you need to pay attention to what you said above. (And in particular, the argument you are trying to make to the person who might hire you -- I get to that later.) You showed a photo that was helped by RAW, and drew the conclusion that RAW lets you take better photos. That's not really true.

The photo you gave as an example was a photo taken wrong. Very wrong, actually. RAW let you save the photo. It did not let you take a better photo. RAW will not make you a better photographer, but it might save your butt when you do something wrong. That is an important difference.

The key is to get things right from the start. To my eye, your corrected image was definitely better than what you started with. But it still looked "wrong" to me. Maybe its just an artifact of a low resolution image for web posting.

The May/June issue of Digital Photo Pro has this in the editor's note: " 'Fix it in Photoshop' has become a mantra of the digital age. As the editor of Digital Photo Pro, I get to talk to many of the very best professional pohtographers in the world. One thing all of them have in common is that I've never heard any of them utter those words". What he's getting at is Photoshop is a great tool for enhancing a photo. But "fixing" photos mean something was done wrong from the start.

If you want to convince that professional photographer that you should shoot RAW, then show a fine image that was made even better because you shot RAW. Don't show a bad image that you somewhat salvaged. What you don't want to say is "see, when I screw up on your gig I can fix it...". Sends the wrong message to a potential employer. :)

I will shoot RAW for certain types of photography myself, but its not often I do so. I'm not anti-RAW, but I do think it is way over-hyped, and in particular I do not agree with the "only RAW" mantra. There's a place for everything.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Shouldn't you give credit to Mahesh's quote there buddy? :D Nice shot. AIM me sometime foo!
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Not to beat this to death, but I think you need to pay attention to what you said above. (And in particular, the argument you are trying to make to the person who might hire you -- I get to that later.) You showed a photo that was helped by RAW, and drew the conclusion that RAW lets you take better photos. That's not really true.

QUOTE]

Thank you for the advice, my good man! This is very useful to me. I think that my point wasn't to say that "Hey, look at how I can turn a crappy image into a salvaged image"; my point was to say that, if I make any mistakes I have some room for correction.

I agree that this is a bad example to post for my argument. I'll just shoot JPEG for her, since that's what she wants. Mostly I just want the experience, anyways.

All and all, I've learned a good deal from this post. But I also feel that, as photographers, it is important not to draw conclusions about a photographer's skill from one photo. By reading some of the responses here, I do feel that the message of many was "learn exposure better, don't overrely upon RAW, don't overrely upon photoshop".

While I never claim to be great at photography, or a pro at some of the technical things, I do feel as if it would be doing me a disservice if this (poorly selected, admittedly) example were to be considered the norm of the work that I do.

- Chui
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    JubbaKing wrote:
    Shouldn't you give credit to Mahesh's quote there buddy? :D Nice shot. AIM me sometime foo!
    Didn't know if Mahesh wrote it or if he quoted it from somewhere else; so I just quoted it.

- Chui
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I made a stupid mistake yesterday afternoon shooting a soccer game, and the photo's are a perfect example of why to shoot RAW, I didn't realize that I had the camera on spot metering and when I hit the white jersey's the shots came out way dark, I tried just for sake of making it easy to fix it in JPG form in photoshop, but I just couldn't get it to look nearly as good as when I fixed it with exposure comp in RAW.

James.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    I agree 200% Daniel
    Daniel,

I understand where you are coming from. Shooting using RAW should never make the photographer feel he/she doesn't need to get the exposure right. But, as you and your pic point out, it does give you some latitude for those "problem" type shots. Your severely backlit shot falls into that category. But, I'd take your backlit pic in jpg and try to salvage in during post, rather than a wedding's worth of jpgs of what one might wind up with shooting white wedding dresses and white shirts black tuxes, with a flash ne_nau.gif You can always use the jpgs if they turn out OK. But, if you blow out some dress detail, or whatever, it's nice to have the added flexability RAW gives.

IMHO, if you have the time (a little longer in-cam processing time) and the memory, go for it thumb.gif I don't understand why your potential employer has a problem with you using RAW. Unless she's going to be doing all of the post processing....lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Wow, talk about seeing things in black and white. I'm shooting a shifter kart race on Saturday. I'm expecting 1000 to 1200 shots. Should I shoot in RAW? If so, why? Why waste time converting that many images to JPG. I'm not going to go every single one of them, asking myself if the exposure is right, if the white balance is right, if the contrast is fine. I'm going to set the camera up to get the shot right when I take the photo in the first place.

The following weekend is a two-day regional race. I'm expecting to take 2,000 - 2,500 photos. Shoot RAW for that? No freakin' way. Those photos need to be sorted, tagged, ranked, and uploaded FAST if I am going to get any sales. And RAW does nothing to help me in this type of photography.

Pathfinder is right. If you have controlled lighting, or unchanging lighting, and know how to user your camera, there's nothing wrong with shooting JPG.

i know plenty of jpeggers - for this very reason. event shooters, mostly. and guess what - they nail the exposures at shoot - as i'm sure you do, too : D
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Lesson taken and learned.

I don't shoot in RAW just in case the exposure is wrong. I did notice myself improving as a photographer though when I would not do any processing in RAW and imported directly into PS untouched. I do want the 16 bits there and the true color captured that I can adjust in anyway if wanted and then save that raw file to maybe play with later. However its for me and not a job.

I never experienced what you do during a job. Thank you for the input and allowing me to understand the other side. I apologize for wearing blinders.
    mercphoto wrote:

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    Hey Chewy (can I call you that?), why not shot RAW+LARGE. You get
    what you need and she gets the JPEGs.

Just a thought.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?