Options

My second wedding

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited September 10, 2008 in Weddings
The Labor day weekend was.... busy. On Thursday, I was prepping all my gear, charging my batteries, making sure all my CFs were formatted, cleaning out the sensor and lenses, when I got a call from a family friend.

So after the first wedding on Friday, I came home with my nephew from North Jersey. And both her and the groom came to my house to talk to the folks. And then to my room, to make sure I go. And then, started asking me to shoot their wedding.

Oh the power of guilt. :cry

C&Cs appreciated. I wasn't the only photographer there, apparently. :scratch
Every time I tried to get them to look at me, the other is looking somewhere else.

366896085_3iz95-L.jpg

366896175_Gjbac-L.jpg
I need to get those gray cards... for white balance help..

366896414_icTaf-L.jpg
I know I am not supposed to cut off feet, but he had white socks on! Didn't have any black socks...and couldn't find his shoes.. :cry

366896460_nvfTo-L.jpg

366898280_EaoTe-L.jpg
The putting on rings part was my favorite part of this wedding session

366898312_Bpg6i-L.jpg
I clipped part of her hand...

366898798_busdg-L.jpg
Whenever I look at this photo, I have a real unsure feeling from this. Is she crying from joy? Or is she crying because of the unknown? Or both?

366899903_BdsFA-L.jpg
I should have suggested that they held hands.. I felt a certain distance..

367773041_v4Bcg-L.jpg
I should have bounced more light onto her face. The reception was super tight and lighting was weird.

367773326_i93Pm-L.jpg
But I think I had better ops during the reception

367774065_swxJX-L.jpg

367774137_FrSua-L.jpg
Now finally!! They were warming up to each other for the cameras! Maybe they were camera shy?

367774350_6MfBC-L.jpg

367774685_fCNn8-L.jpg
I think I like this one, she is opening up more to people and there is more emotions going around!

367775236_64qUy-L.jpg

367775371_HctQs-L.jpg
Good thing I told them to feed each other the cake..

367777325_rJoV2-L.jpg

367777380_sgJje-L.jpg

367777442_LtgFj-L.jpg

FInally some kissing action!!! See, I can post less photos per post! :rofl

Thanks for looking!
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Wow, felt like I watched the whole day, frame by frame! :lurk

Great work!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2008
    Great work! Looks like you are starting to get the hang of this wedding stuff. It takes some time...i know i am still learning and making mistakes at every event!

#1- the coloring is beautiful. I would just watch where you place your subject. The light switch and open door just don't do it for me.

#5 is a winner, but #6 needs that same effect, maybe some work with the curves in PS.

I like the crop in #7 & #8.

They defiantly seemed to open up at the end. The last few are all winners.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2008

I didn't notice the light switch, until you mentioned it. Even though it is REALLY obvious. eek7.gif I'll clone it out.

I really do like those hand shots. So I will have to lighten up #6 a wee bit. I really liked them because during the ceremony, they didn't feel physically or emotionally close. It was .. weird. So the hands were the closest to it!

Thanks for looking!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    In addition to what others have said, I also think this is a very good effort - something to be proud of and something I think you clients will treasure (or maybe not as this was kind of a last minute gig - only time will tell).

Comments of specific photos (btw, thanks for numbering them:D)...

1 - This is a prime candidate for some quick masking work. Done right, you can compensate for the tungsten light in the open room behind her. A little centered for my taste.

2 - Just copy the WB settings from #1 (you shot in RAW, right?). A little centered for my taste.

4 - I'm liking the high-contrast B&W. Nice, but might be cropped a just a touch too tight.

6 - The conversion is a bit muddy for my taste.

7 - She is a very beautiful bride. Not liking the expression or the fact that we have no clue what she is looking at.

8 - Dust bin material - sorry.:sad

12 - I really like this shot. I think the contrast is dialed up a little high as you've blown out her dress a bit.

13 - I think I would toss this one as well. You need to include whatever it is that she is looking or whoever it is she is talking to.

17-19 - You have something to work with here. Light isn't prime, but you can compensate for that with a little creative PP. For the future, watch your backgrounds - all those cords! If you had moved just a step or two to your left, those cords would not have been there and you would have still gotten the emotion of the encounter.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2008
    Thanks, Scott! I am also glad you liked that I numbered and cut down what I posted! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Thanks, Scott! I am also glad you liked that I numbered and cut down what I posted! rolleyes1.gif
    Not that my preferences count for anything :D