monarch caterpillar

TomTom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
A utility company mowed a clearing in the woods by my house. The first plants to recover were the milkweed and dogbane. So I've been scoping out the field as monach caterpillar habitat and finally found one. The plants are still small so I had to lay on the ground to get this shot.

2841918152_4a807b9710_o.jpg

Here it is in feeding position, head down, after (I think) chewing partially through the petiole to reduce the flow of the sticky sap to the leaf.

2841198367_c357dc7ac8_o.jpg

Amazing to think that in three weeks it will be a butterfly, migrating about 2000 miles south to overwinter.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Lovely captures :) - Butterflies soon.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Tom wrote:
    A utility company mowed a clearing in the woods by my house. The first plants to recover were the milkweed and dogbane. So I've been scoping out the field as monach caterpillar habitat and finally found one. The plants are still small so I had to lay on the ground to get this shot.

Here it is in feeding position, head down, after (I think) chewing partially through the petiole to reduce the flow of the sticky sap to the leaf.

Amazing to think that in three weeks it will be a butterfly, migrating about 2000 miles south to overwinter.

Very nice captures Tom,
    They sure make short work of the milk weeds don't they rolleyes1.gif

I love the casing they create to do their morphing in, how it appears to have little gold dots along the cap.

The other thing I like about these is that you can see through the transparency of the casing and watch it hatch.

Nice work Tom thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • TomTom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words.

I marked the area where I found the caterpillar and will try to return daily to monitor its growth. I've never seen a monarch chrysalis "in the wild" before.

- Tom
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 9, 2008
  • TomTom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    good shots, are you keeping it to shoot later stages?
    I didn't want to disturb it too much so it is still in its natural habitat. My kids come with me on these nature hikes and I'm teaching them about "treading lightly" in the woods, so we left the caterpillar where we found it. We've had no trouble coming back and locating the caterpillar the last two days; it is quite large already and will probably pupate soon. If we can still find it in chrysalis stage then maybe we'll put it into a butterfly tent (and release it right after it emerges). I'll photograph as much of the development as I can.