Clayoquat Sunrise Pano

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited September 12, 2008 in Landscapes
I took the time to stitch a pano this evening. (Actually tried to stitch 2 but PSCS3 had problems with the first - will try again another time, it is the same scene but earlier and darker).
368833335_zP6HY-XL.jpg

This is from my recent trip to Tofino, and I have many other photos in this journey thread.

A couple of shootouts ago, Mark suggested that a good way to evaluate a photos subject/composition was to desaturate it i.e. to remove the element of color allowed you to only look at composition. I gave that a try with this one, liked the result, and then liked it more with a high contrast blue filter:
368831652_fSwbg-XL.jpg

This image is a 5 image stitch.

Would love to hear what you think.

ann

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    I like the subtle pinks with the blues in the first one. The B&W lacks pop. Too flat.

Good work on the pano.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    The color image is better. Nice mood.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Really nice!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Great work !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    I like the color one better. The problem I see in the B+W is that you can't tell what time of day it is. To me it looks like itis the middle of the day with drab overcast skies.

Really like the color one though! thumb.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I like the subtle pinks with the blues in the first one. The B&W lacks pop. Too flat.

Good work on the pano.

Don

Hi Don

Thanks! The b&w looks much better larger but certainly is flat here.

ann
    edited September 10, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    The color image is better. Nice mood.

Thank you Jeff

ann
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Hi Ann,

Too much blue in the colored version for my taste. I desaturated the blue by 70% and lightened the shadows...and liked it.

Very nice scene.:D
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Hi Ann,

Too much blue in the colored version for my taste. I desaturated the blue by 70% and lightened the shadows...and liked it.

Just make sure your looking at it through Safari and not Firefox.

Ann,

This is a great pano, I mean the composition works for the formatthumb.gif I too like the color more.

Not really sure what you mean by that. ne_nau.gif

If browsers render images differently then I think it would be a good idea to edit them to look best in IE and FF since that is where most people are going to be seeing them.:D

Edit: You got me thinking so I compared an image in my image viewer and one I had uploaded to SM side by side on my calibrated monitor and the one in FF did look slightly more saturated in the blue as well as a slight color shift. Not to the point that I was talking to Ann about though.
    edited September 12, 2008
    Great work !

Thanks, Awais. Nice to hear from you!

ann
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I like the color one better. The problem I see in the B+W is that you can't tell what time of day it is. To me it looks like itis the middle of the day with drab overcast skies.

Really like the color one though! thumb.gif

Ah-hah! Yes, I understand now.

On my lg Mac cinema display, the b&w is really pretty....but of course, no sense of time of day. And it looks like cr@p at this size!!

Thanks for helping me see clearly.

ann
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Hi Ann,

Hi Ric

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I really don't think that I upped the blues on that version. Of course, whether I did or not still doesn't respond to your comment about wanting less blue. So I guess this is one of those personal taste thingsheadscratch.gif . I've been playing around with the whole set of shots, and increasing saturations and bumping colors to get that west coast painterly look to them, so I think I like the blue (which may or may not have been there).

Thanks for commenting, and causing me occasion to stop and think. I like that!!!

ann

Ann,

This is a great pano, I mean the composition works for the formatthumb.gif I too like the color more.

Thank you Marc. It was a pleasing scene and I wish I had opportunity to shoot more sunrises this trip. Sadly, this was the only one we had.

Thanks for stopping by,

ann
    Well, I went back and re-did the shots in LR2 before stitching. I am always amazed at how CS3 can stitch the same photos so many different ways(these are the same 5 otos - but the angle that they were stitched is clearly different)! And apparently, I should have bumped exposure a bit too, as I find this one too dark:

370821403_ymNWh-XL.jpg

ann
    Ann McRae wrote:
    So I guess this is one of those personal taste things

Exactly. :D

There are so many variables and tweaks when editing.....hopefully we come across the procedure that works. As long as it looks the way you want it to...then all is well.