Options

Hey - the Sony A900 is here!

2»

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    The only things Sony has going for it is price and inbody IS.

Pretty tough to compare this camera with a camera that costs almost 3 times as much. You could have the Sony and some great lenses before you even get to the body price of the Canon. A better comparison would be to the D700 or whatever lower end 5D comes out. (I bet Canon will bring out a sub $2000 FF body soon)
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    So far the 900 looks pretty good. The only cause for concern from the review at IR that I can see is the ISO performance. This has been a weak point with other Sony releases.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    So far the 900 looks pretty good. The only cause for concern from the review at IR that I can see is the ISO performance. This has been a weak point with other Sony releases.
    you are correct in the iso performance, i bought into the A700 and boo-koo's of KM lenses only to be disappointed, i took the hit and sold everything and went back to Canon, where i plan to stay..period end of story! Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    A900 price here in Japan starting at 328,000円 which is almost $3000 american dollars.
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Here you go:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/

Lots of information in there and, at the time they did the review, the latest beta of ACR does indeed work with the Sony raw files. If you're a prospective buyer, its a good read and will give you some insights into the strengths, weaknesses and compromises in the design of the camera.
    Izzy wrote:
    i cant seem to find the info im looking for, maybe you all can help?

sony a900 output can only be converted from raw by using sony software? will ACR ever be able to convert sony raw files?

does the sony software come with the camera?

is it like nikon where you get the free converter, but if you want the better converter that acually gives you controls it going to cost you $$$.

thanks for any info...
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    I think this looks like a fantastic camera. If wasn't already dedicated to a system this would sure be tempting. I know everyone makes a stink about its noise, but thats when you look at it at 100% which for 24MP is really a strange thing to do. I think you could get beautiful large prints out of this camera at 1600.

Looks nice. Glad to see others making a statement, even though Canikonians will dismiss this camera as sub-par, it looks fantastic.
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    More importantly, the trade off for the noise at high ISO seems to be that at low ISO, Sony's offering has near class leading dynamic range and a JPEG engine that can take advantage of it.

I think this looks like a fantastic camera. If wasn't already dedicated to a system this would sure be tempting. I know everyone makes a stink about its noise, but thats when you look at it at 100% which for 24MP is really a strange thing to do. I think you could get beautiful large prints out of this camera at 1600.

Looks nice. Glad to see others making a statement, even though Canikonians will dismiss this camera as sub-par, it looks fantastic.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    More importantly, the trade off for the noise at high ISO seems to be that at low ISO, Sony's offering has near class leading dynamic range and a JPEG engine that can take advantage of it.
    That's a really good point. If I was primarily a landscape photographer this camera would amazing. Enormous dynamic range - which is great for landscapes. Plus, most landscape photographers use tripods or shoot in good light, so, shooting above 1600 is negligible. In my opinion - this is the best landscape DSLR on the market.