Options

Strapped?

tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited May 4, 2005 in Accessories
I notice the camera I bought from Shay still had the original camera strap in the original package. I'm assuming that it was never opened or used.

Do any of you have a favorite camera strap? Any suggestions on a quality brand, something comfortable that doesn't feel like carrying your camera from a length of razor wire?

Comments

• Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    I notice the camera I bought from Shay still had the original camera strap in the original package. I'm assuming that it was never opened or used.

Do any of you have a favorite camera strap? Any suggestions on a quality brand, something comfortable that doesn't feel like carrying your camera from a length of razor wire?
    I usually like the stock Canon strap, it's a simple cloth webbing, with a light rubber backing. I tried the neopherm style before but it was much too slippery.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Thomas
    Well it depends on the type of shooting you do I use somthing similar to this

101152.jpg

You just stick your hand thru the loop
    Cheap too

Heres a thread too
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I hate the 'stock' straps. They're invariably very thin, unpadded, and stiff. I like the Tamrac model N-45. Simple, non-descript (doesn't say 'STEAL ME: CANON' on it!), comfortable, rugged, and has quick disconnects for when I have the camera tripod mounted. I have two, one on my G3 and one on my DRebel. I'm actually using the stock Canon strap from he DRebel for my old Pentax K1000 film setup..
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    NHBubba wrote:
    (doesn't say 'STEAL ME: CANON' on it!)..
    I can understand that on a bag, but if you're seeing the strap, you're seeing the camera. Any camera that looks like a SLR says "steal me."
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I am currently using the Op/Tech line of camera strap. It has a wide neoprene neckband that distributes the weight and minimizes shocks and lets me pretty much shoot all day with it around my neck.

Op/Tech Pro Loop Camera Strap, $19.95, B&H# OPSPLB
    tlittleton wrote:

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I am currently using the Op/Tech line of camera strap. It has a wide neoprene neckband that distributes the weight and minimizes shocks and lets me pretty much shoot all day with it around my neck.

Interesting. I've seen these and they look too bulky.

medium_XEP-5pvKsS.JPG
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    i only use a handstrap, never the neck strap unless i have to...
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I use the Op/Tech Pro Strap and like it a lot. It may be a little bulkier, but it feels pretty good on my neck.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005

I'm going to have to buy that and check it out. My neck was almost rubbed raw the last time I walked around for hours with the camera around my neck. And I hate the constant bounce of the camera against me too.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I can understand that on a bag, but if you're seeing the strap, you're seeing the camera. Any camera that looks like a SLR says "steal me."
    Ahh, but some say it louder than others in my opinion. Most people know that most digital SLRs are worth more than most film SLRs. My Canon strap says 'Canon Digital' or some foolishness on the side of it in big letters. Not that the LCD on the back isn't a dead give away as well. But every little bit helps no? Personally I'd rather not advertise any more than I have to.

I'm not saying it's the only, or even the biggest selling point of an after-market strap, just that it is one of the points..
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    NHBubba wrote:
    Ahh, but some say it louder than others in my opinion. Most people know that most digital SLRs are worth more than most film SLRs. My Canon strap says 'Canon Digital' or some foolishness on the side of it in big letters.
    I agree...from the back my Domke gripper looks like a "poor film student" strap. I figure anything that says "Digital" on it sounds a lot like "steal me."
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    NHBubba wrote:
    Ahh, but some say it louder than others in my opinion. Most people know that most digital SLRs are worth more than most film SLRs. My Canon strap says 'Canon Digital' or some foolishness on the side of it in big letters.
    Yeah, I was thinking of using my old Elan strap on the 20D. It's more comfortable and leaves off the "Digital".
    Chris
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    OK I need a hair cut, but this is fantastic. 28-70mm f/2.8 on a 300D no battery pack. It screws onto the tripod mount. There is a thread in the mount so you can attatch a Quick Release shoe etc for a tripod.

I was looking for Stan at the time