Options

TEXTURED PORTRAITS By: Joel H. Garcia

Comments

• Options
    joelhgarciajoelhgarcia Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    I usually do not like textured stuff...but hey-- if you are going to do it-- do it right. You definitely did these very wellthumb.gif Kudos:D

Hi Paul- I appreciate your reply.

For you Paul:

"Forgotten Pages"
    2816324462_f9a420a114_o.jpg
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    Terrific set of images, Joel. clap.gifclap I also was impressed with your Web site. Hope to see more of your work soon.

Hi Moderator Richard,

Im glad Digital Grin like my Textured works im surely share my works here. Thanks.

This is for your Sir Richard.

"Broken"
    2700210704_e2440e02ff_o.jpg
  • Options
    Joel, this whole series of pictures are fantastic! I've never seen this technique before but now that I have I want to know how to do it! Thank you for sharing.

Hi Madam,

Texturing techniques are far more old, but mostly i saw it in still life, some are conseptual cracked faces approach, but my Textured Portraits are more on the beauty and how you blend it with various textures that create a digital fine art masterpiece.

In my textured Images- all my photos are shot in RAW, my first requirements is the photo should be good, it has a characther and emotion.

I usually played in Blend modes of Multiply, Screen, Lighten, Softlight and Hardlight MODES, theres no exact workflow, it will all depends on what photo will you use, what texture files tones, details and markings, also a lot of trial and errors what suited and whats not so its not that easy combining and blending textures in a particular photos,

But i suggest you have to know at least what you want to do with your photo or at least you have some inspiration in your head so you have some pointers when you do the process. EXPERIMENTATIONS, VISUALIZATION AND CREATIVITY are needed to create these Textured Portraits.

For you:

"Scarred"
    2686924895_c9d40b357d_o.jpg
  • Options
    I'm with the others! Wow!! Your work is awesome. I've used textures on photographs before, but they never look like that. I am in awe! clap.gif

Hi Julie,

I just develop this textured treatment a month a go, and from then on i keep on experimenting with textures and how can i make it gel with the portraits i took. Thank you for visiting the thread, i appreciate it.

This is for you Julie:

"Alter Ego"
    2700209836_ce290c7f0e_o.jpg
  • Options
    Tanuki wrote:
    Very nice! Would you mind providing a summary of your technique or perhaps provide a link to a tutorial that you think is effective? I am particularly interested in how you get those color tones.

Mike

Awais/Tanuki- Thanks. I started with this website http://redleafstudios.squarespace.com/red-leaf-inspiration/2008/3/27/texture-tutorial.html

Hope it helps.

About the color tones, it depends on what tone of your textures and what blending modes you will used it has various effects..try it so you have some idea. thanks! = )

"Amelie"
    2699394391_e51de06044_o.jpg
  • Options
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love this work! Beautifully and artistically done. I've been messing around with these concepts as well and seems to be hit and miss...or takes a ton of time :D. Care to share some techniques or links? Your work is great! Nice stuff for a change of pace too in the portfolio. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Swartzy,

Happy that you like it. Yes its true, been there too, trial and error thing, in my previous replies i post some tips and link that might help you as they help me too. Please visit this thread coz i will share some textured images that might help you have some inspiration into your future works.

For you Swartzy..hope you like it.

"Cobwebs in my mind"
    2713078052_608296b58b_o.jpg
  • Options
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh WOW! I'm speachless .... bowdown.gif

Please don't leave this forum without showing us more!!! Love your work!!! iloveyou.gif

Hi Agnie- Im suprised you appreciate my artwork. Please visit this thread i'll update it once i have time.

For you Agnie, one of my recent works.

"Realm"
    2846669149_502385fda3_o.jpg
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    Just WOW! bowdown.gif It's like you're making dreams into reality - awesome stuff! clap.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Nice work....where do you get your textures?

Hi Jeff,

Some are my photo collections, some In various textures free site. Try Flickr.:D

For you Jeff:

Ms. Earth
    2761794322_f0044329e0_o.jpg
  • Options
    Idlewild wrote:
    I worship @ Thy Feet! bowdown.gif

Superb texture/layering imagery!

Hi Sir, Dont be. Im just starting learning this a month ago. = ) Just practice and experiment. = )

For you:

Childplay
    2798421849_bf2b1c4e09_o.jpg
  • Options
    cj99si wrote:
    Is this your photography as well?

Hi Cj, - I do all the photography, in all the portraits and post process my own photos too.

This is for you Cj:

"Measure of a Boy"
    2810751426_587f0c89ea_o.jpg
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice work, thank you very much for sharing! thumb.gif

Sir Nikolai- its an honor to visit Digital grin site. Thanks!

For you Sir:

"Side Stare"
    2697767240_9f8c8b32a1_o.jpg
  • Options
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Amazing stuff, i too wouldl like to know how it's done, tuts are a must around here! Laughing.gif

Hi Mom! - please check out my previous replies. thanks.

This is for you:

"Warm Light"
    2687737594_2a12b7de35_o.jpg
  • Options
    KED wrote:
    I will add my voice to the many calls on here for direction, preferably to your own technique but at least to the tutes you think to be the best!

Hi Ked, please check out my previous replies about this. Basically its all about blending modes and finding and mixing the right textures that suited for the photos you like to texture. I think you need to try it first then let me know what happened... its a trial and error things. no exact workflow. Different photos, different concepts, different textures to blend.

for you Ked!

Broken 2
    2687741488_7391c5d737_o.jpg
  • Options
    DavidS wrote:
    Awesome stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

David/Jayson- thanks for the reply.

For you guys:

"Dark Flora"
    2697766998_08952327d3_o.jpg
  • Options
    gmonkeh wrote:
    Looks like you went to the JoeyL Manny Librodo workshop! I see some influences from both photographers in your work. Although it's kind of difficult to not take a good picture of Kharu isn't it. :)

From a fellow filipino, excellent job. And looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mabuhay!

Alex Galang

Hi Alex, Nice to see a Kabayan here in Digital Grin - Yes Manny Librodo is my teacher and Manny inspired lots of Filipino here in the Philippines. I combined the two influences into my Textured Portraits and this is the result. = ) Yes Kharu is an awesome model, no doubt about it!

For you Alex:

"Manny Manuel Librodo"

2700210470_83a0bcff70_o.jpg
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Congratulations, bowdown.gifbowdown.gif this is some really fine work. clap.gif

Jaye/Andy- I appreciate. thanks.

For you guys:

"Notes"
    2708130753_5396f0a276_o.jpg
  • Options
    jasonstone wrote:
    Just WOW! bowdown.gif It's like you're making dreams into reality - awesome stuff! clap.gif

Thanks Jason!

"Orange Crack"
    2715092303_3281ddb2ff_o.jpg
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    Is this Kharu? I noticed some Librodo technique in your photography.. specially the eyes.. then you posted Sir Manny's portrait! hahaha!

awesome stuff Joel!

Mabuhay ang Pinoy :)
    Jaye/Andy- I appreciate. thanks.

For you guys:

"Notes"
    2708130753_5396f0a276_o.jpg
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    What can you say...just stunning...
    Excellent. I hope you are going to do something with these. It's nice to share, but there are bound to be markets for this quality and kind of work. If you're not already, you could make a fine living doing this as a profession.

Some of the best on the web that I have seen. Really.

Composition, quality, and technique are extremely well done.

Like all the rest...thanks, for sharing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    Hi Julie,

I just develop this textured treatment a month a go, and from then on i keep on experimenting with textures and how can i make it gel with the portraits i took. Thank you for visiting the thread, i appreciate it.

This is for you Julie:

"Alter Ego"
    2700209836_ce290c7f0e_o.jpg

Dear Joelhgarcia,

please stop posting these awesome photos. I only can handle so much greatness at once before I overload:jawdrop :jawdrop bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Your textures are matched beautifully with your subjects. Not the usual tacky texture pictures I usually see but pictures that are well thought out and very well done. I am so in love with your work as well as your creative imagination. iloveyou.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    One question - HOW?
    These are nothing short of beautiful.
    Dale Childress
  • Options
    Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    I want one!! These shots are amazing. You should write your own tutorial and post it up on here! I want to learn
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    where do you get your textures?

There are a lot of textures at DeviantArt and scrapbooking sites.

http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/textures/#
    LadyTX
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Beautiful work ...iloveyou.gif
    LadyTX
  • Options
    rhommel wrote:
    Is this Kharu? I noticed some Librodo technique in your photography.. specially the eyes.. then you posted Sir Manny's portrait! hahaha!

awesome stuff Joel!

Mabuhay ang Pinoy :)

Hi Rommel- Kharu is wearing a contact lens, so no manipulation on the eyes. Thanks for Visiting! Mabuhay!
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    Ed911 wrote:
    Excellent. I hope you are going to do something with these. It's nice to share, but there are bound to be markets for this quality and kind of work. If you're not already, you could make a fine living doing this as a profession.

Some of the best on the web that I have seen. Really.

Composition, quality, and technique are extremely well done.

Like all the rest...thanks, for sharing...

Hi Ed,

Thanks for now im building up my portfolios and developing my own textured styles. Hope someday i could put up an exhibit of these here in the philippines.

Its an honor meeting you Sir even in this thread alone. Thanks.

"Mellon Collie and the Infinite sadness"
    2809920123_a378f3931e_o.jpg
  • Options
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Dear Joelhgarcia,

please stop posting these awesome photos. I only can handle so much greatness at once before I overload:jawdrop :jawdrop bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Your textures are matched beautifully with your subjects. Not the usual tacky texture pictures I usually see but pictures that are well thought out and very well done. I am so in love with your work as well as your creative imagination. iloveyou.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Hi Dadwtwins,

ha ha ha ha... im here to share my works...i believe i need to give credit to my portraiture mentor Mr. Manny Librodo & lovely Ms Kharu the model for matching my texture style.

Thank you for your generous comments.

"Wurm"
    2708130043_ef1b30e5f4_o.jpg
  • Options
    DECinNC wrote:
    These are nothing short of beautiful.

Thanks Dec.

"Mesmerized"
    2708127397_8c4d3cfb3e_o.jpg
  • Options
    I want one!! These shots are amazing. You should write your own tutorial and post it up on here! I want to learn

Blaze - please check the previous replies... = )

For you/

Raindrops Memory
    2715092943_7dde7cba30_o.jpg