Sunset at Ruby Beach (Olympic National Park)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 11, 2008 in Landscapes
From a 4-hour each-way impulse trip to Ruby Beach last Sunday, where, much to my surprise, I managed to not get wet or fall on my ass trying to escape the tide like my normal beach outings. There's still hope for the future :D

#1:

369658405_bF7Xo-L.jpg

#2 (perhaps this shot is more appropriate for another thread in this forum...)

369661565_TCDzn-L.jpg

369682205_gZeWh-L.jpg

#4 (sometimes it pays to look other directions besides west when the sun is setting, this shot is facing south)

369671044_fHpgU-L.jpg

#5 (underexposed 1.5 stops and I still over-exposed it!)

369681337_uEu89-L.jpg

Comments

• jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Nice shots and #2 is a stunner thumb.gif
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    wow! these are all beautiful shots. #2 is by far my favorite. do you have any EXIF for it?
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Totally awesome!! What state is this park?iloveyou.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    What state is this park?
    My guess - the state of Euphoria mwink.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    wow! these are all beautiful shots. #2 is by far my favorite. do you have any EXIF for it?

Thanks! #2 was at 16mm, ISO 100 f/22 @ 1/8s, exposure bias -1 stop (evaluative metering) with a 3-stop graduated ND filter. I did it at f/22 to increase the exposure time (to show more motion with the waves) and to get a more pronounced star effect on the sun.
    Totally awesome!! What state is this park?iloveyou.gif

Washington State (about 4 hours drive from Seattle), in addition to the rugged beaches, there's also temperate rainforest and the Olympic Mountain range within the boundaries of the park, it's an awesome place.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Washington State (about 4 hours drive from Seattle), in addition to the rugged beaches, there's also temperate rainforest and the Olympic Mountain range within the boundaries of the park, it's an awesome place.

eek7.gif

I AM GOING THERE!!! I am going to be in Seattle in November, time to add that to my roster of things to do!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks! #2 was at 16mm, ISO 100 f/22 @ 1/8s, exposure bias -1 stop (evaluative metering) with a 3-stop graduated ND filter. I did it at f/22 to increase the exposure time (to show more motion with the waves) and to get a more pronounced star effect on the sun.

16mm - mmm ok i think i really have to go out and buy that 11-16mm f2.8 for my Nikon now :D

Again - awesome shots
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    Really nice round of photos. Well worth the time you took to get em. thumb.gif
    Like you say, "it pays to look other directions" :D

Don't see how shot #5 is over exposed. Looks fine on my monitor.
    Michael
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    Wow, Ron, those are fantastic! #2 is simply incredible.

When I was there in May, I watched a guy with a p&s fall on his arse trying to escape the tide!
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Absolutely stunning. My favorites are #2 and #4.
    eek7.gif

I AM GOING THERE!!! I am going to be in Seattle in November, time to add that to my roster of things to do!

Bring some waterproof clothes! The western part of Olympic National Park is one of the wettest places in the US, so you may miss out on a good sunset, but the rain will really bring out the greens inside the forest, and you'll have good opportunities for fog too.
    DaddyO wrote:
    Really nice round of photos. Well worth the time you took to get em. thumb.gif
    Like you say, "it pays to look other directions" :D

Don't see how shot #5 is over exposed. Looks fine on my monitor.

Thanks! I think #5 would benefit with about two stops less on the top part, the water is fine, and the black silhouetted trees are fine, but I think the top is just a little too bright (I'll see if I can fix it in post, but I'm not sure I'll be able to). #3 also has that problem (top is too bright) but it's not quite as obvious.

Why I don't notice this stuff before I upload the photos is anyone's guess :D
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Wow, Ron, those are fantastic! #2 is simply incredible.

When I was there in May, I watched a guy with a p&s fall on his arse trying to escape the tide!

That's fantastic. It's not that hard of a thing to do when crouching low looking through the viewfinder with the tripod as low as it can go and the tide sneaking up on you, but doing it with a P&S with no tripod takes a special kind of talent. I might be related to that guy...

The other day I slid about 10 feet down a hillside trying to get a better view point for a waterfall, my jeans were completely covered in mud, but I made sure the camera and tripod escaped cleanly :D
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    Excellent
    Excellent work. I love #2 and #3.

I was at Second Beach in August, but was neither as fortunate with the light nor as skilled with my technique to succeed as well as you have here.

Thank you for sharing.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Beautiful shots... I love sunsets and I love wideangle and these shots are simply stunning.

Thanks for sharing them.