Options

Investment in DX body and lenses a dead end?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    I guess the biggest thing for me is that when I upgrade, it is because my current gear is limiting me. I don't feel limited by my current gear. I feel like I am able to produce high quality images that my clients are happy with. To drop everything and invest thousands makes no sense to me when the current setup makes me extremely pleased.
    15524779-Ti.gif.......or if you are in need of business tax deductions......then it only needs to be a new body or 2 or maybe a 3rd one to be IR'ed and then you have the deductions to lower your tax bracket.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    It's not an investment...
    You need to stop thinking of "investing" in glass.

It is something you use. It is an expense. It may or may not have trade-in or re-sale value in the future.

It is no more of an investment than your car.

Buy it because you need it and will use it now. Buy it because it is useful to you now. If you are really worried about future value, buy only your most useful lenses and rent the rest when you have a need.

-gs-
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    I dont see DX going anywhere myself either. Am I going to buy DX lenses? I doubt it. I have one DX lens in my arsenal, all the rest are film/FX. Will I buy another DX format camera? Only if my D300 dies. I like having the crop factor working in my favor on my lenses but, I also am going to pick up a D700 too. I want my lenses to work as they are supposed to as well and, I want the high isos that the sensor offers. DX will be around for a long, long time. The reason being that it will keep the prices on dslrs down for the masses and, that represents sales, which equals profits. The only thing that will kill DX is if FX becomes very inexpensive to produce. Which is very doubtful.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/