to Sky - or not to Sky

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in Landscapes
Work in progress...C&C would be appreciated. Keep the sky, loose the sky? :dunno

369848295_f4aB9-XL.jpg

369848268_kLyS9-XL.jpg

Thanks Much

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Personally, I don't think it (the sky) is strong enough in this image to have such a broad presence. The clouds don't have nearly the impact they need to make it stand out. The lighting is much too diffused instead of a nice crisp sunset/sunrise type effect. I would crop just above the bottom-most cloud and turn this into a semi-pano type shot. It def. has potential....maybe even better as a B&W.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    I'd keep the sky in and crop off some on the right, maybe just about to the shadow on the right side of the little butte to the right. That would keep it to more of a normal print ratio rather than pano.

I'm hoping you live in that country, because you know how to catch the light and I'd like to see more of your work, but maybe a little tighter on the composition.
    Anybody can do it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Either way would work, I think, but what is not working for me is the equal division of land and sky, especially in the first. There should either be a little sky or a lot of sky. I agree that a panoramic aspect would work well here. You might try mostly sky with #1 and a little sky with #2. One nit: you have a dust spot on your sensor that is visible in both shots. Heal it out.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    One method to try on the sky would be to select the sky and duplicate the layer. Then do a blending mode with Multiply or Color Burn and reduce the opacity to your liking. That would allow you to bring out the sky detail.

But I agree you need to pick the subject. The cactus in the front can be interesting as well as a horizon view.
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    Short of going panoramic here, I'd definitely crop off some at the right. I'd also warm it up a little while darkening the sky some to bring out it's ominous coloring.

Here's an attempt from image #1. Forgive, I just love playing with things that aren't mine :D:

370960821_btKSo-XL.jpg
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    I'd keep the sky in and crop off some on the right, maybe just about to the shadow on the right side of the little butte to the right. That would keep it to more of a normal print ratio rather than pano.

I'm hoping you live in that country, because you know how to catch the light and I'd like to see more of your work, but maybe a little tighter on the composition.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm re-working the photo now.
    Yes, I do live in this country and I thank you for the compliment. As you know we have a 'magical' magic hour particularly during monsoon season! :D Im practicing with landscape, usually I like up close photos.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    Short of going panoramic here, I'd definitely crop off some at the right. I'd also warm it up a little while darkening the sky some to bring out it's ominous coloring.

Here's an attempt from image #1. Forgive, I just love playing with things that aren't mine :D:

370960821_btKSo-XL.jpg

I LOVE IT! Wow... Thanks for the 'viewable' suggestion. It certainly brings pop to the foreground over the less dramatic sky.