Thoughts & Comments (DSS #8)

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have always liked B&W photography and had so much fun (while learning a lot) with the last challenge I was already composing in my head in B&W for this challenge. I managed to get this shot before asking permission from the general manager of the resturant (I did have it from the shoe shine man and the customer though) and if I ever do get official permission I will probably go back. So, a reshoot might be a possiblity this time.

Thoughts and comments?

369935076_CZpZp-XL-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    I like it a lot! I think it works quite well in B/W.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    I like it a lot! I think it works quite well in B/W.

Thanks Paul! I was pleasantly surpised with the outcome. I feel like it needs something else/more, but can't put my finger on it.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    Great idea Kevin! BW is good... I would definitely go back for a re-shoot if I were you... I want to see more of the hands and the polishing cloth... a little less blur... Good Luck

Winston
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    Great idea Kevin! BW is good... I would definitely go back for a re-shoot if I were you... I want to see more of the hands and the polishing cloth... a little less blur... Good Luck

Winston

15524779-Ti.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins

Winston
    \
    +2
    Aaron Nelson
  • Mike LeBlancMike LeBlanc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    Great idea Kevin! a little less blur... Good Luck

Winston

And I thought it was just me! It is a little blurry. But I like your idea and I like the picture! Stick with that idea. thumb.gif
    Camera : Nikon D40
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    I *really* liked your last entry (tower communication) but this interpretation is a bit too literal for my tastes. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    I really like the idea, and to me the "literal" subject matter means that there is a lot of room to play around with composition and technique. The picture works wonderfully in black and white. Yes- perhaps if possible a re-take with a slightly faster (?) shutter speed while in the actual act of polishing (?) might be nice, I'd also ditto that this is a great shot as is! Cool idea thumb.gif

(edit: the more I look at it, the more I really like the current composition, with the light hand in the upper right and the dark shiny shoes in the lower left, with the light stone behind the shoes. I really do like THIS picture!)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins

Winston

15524779-Ti.gif
    Thanks gang! I really appreciate all of the input. The top left corner is what was troubling me also. Now for the bad news. Permission was denied. The resturant which will remain nameless, McCormick & Schmick's, oops, is located just a few blocks from the White House and in the middle of lobbyist territory on K St in Washington DC. For some crazy reason they are very protective of their clientel and allow absolutely no photography inside of the resturant. Nope, no way, no how, nuh uh. Hmm, go figure. In all seriousness, I can completely understand where they are coming from and have no problem with the policy. However, it'll be a cold day in you know where before I go back and pay $100 for lunch in that place! eek7.gif Which means no reshoot. Dang it all. Until and unless I find another shoe shine stand I'm going to have to work with what I've got.

That said, I did some work on the corner in question and tried to give some definition to the arms and brush. Please let me know what you think.

370628797_e6uxE-XL-1.jpg

I also still trying to decide on a title. Ones that have come to mind so far include: "Shine?", "Shine Mister?", "Spit Shine", "Shoe Shine, Five Dollar", and "Finishing Touches". Only the last one sounds any good to me.

Thanks for Looking.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    Kevin,

Literal it may be, but it really works for me, a great idea. thumb.gif

If you can I would stick with it. There has to be more than one plaqce in the DC area that has shoe shine stands.

Reminds me of the Johnny cash song, "Only Cost a dime, just a nickle a shoe", Probably cost way more now.

Just one mans op,

P
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    I thought there was a place in 2000 Penn, but I haven't worked there for a few years and my memory is fuzzy. The only place I could think of that I'd seen stands is in airports. :giggle Union Station seems a likely candidate, but US is hit or miss when you trot in with a pro-looking camera. I've heard some say they have no trouble and others say security shuts them down. ne_nau.gif

I like the idea and think it's worth trying for a reshoot elsewhere to really nail the composition and right amount of blur.
    edited September 12, 2008
    That tottaly sucks about the resturaunt policy. :cry I would be looking for another shoe shine stand! that can't be the only one in DC?!?

The thing that bothers me the most about the shot is the composition... The hand being partially out of the frame draws me out of the shot... It seems the main focus of the shot should be the shining action, not the 2 static shoes... If you can find another shoe shine stand, or set one up yourself, you would be able to shoot a bunch of shots with different comp... and so forth... This idea has great potential! I would keep working it if I were you! good luck... thumb.gif

Winston
    Let's try again. I was able to shoot at Union Station without any hassel Kerry. Just have to be careful where you point the camera I guess.

371121711_NyGRG-L-1.jpg

Am I getting closer?

Thanks for looking.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
    thumb.gif Yep! that's definitely getting closer! Have you thought about trying a shot from the perspective of the person getting the shine? just an idea... don't really know how well it would work... but it might be worth the try.... Good luck!

Winston
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    oooo....I like that last one! thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Much improved! thumb.gif The noise on the right distracts me a little.

So glad to hear you had no hassle--and that Union Station had shoeshine stands! :D
    Thank you again everyone.

371185583_Gzrmm-L-1.jpg

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    Definitely getting there. I like this one better. keep at it.

P
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
    edited September 16, 2008
    Ok, one last try. Do I stick with what I have...

371185583_Gzrmm-L-1.jpg

or go with this variation?

374099944_md34V-L-1.jpg

I guess I'll never be completely happy. No one is ever more critical about one's work than the artist themself. headscratch.gif

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    I vote to stick with what you have. thumb.gif

Looks great! clap.gif
    stick with original, unless you can go shoot again...

Winston