Options

How to say no

cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
edited September 15, 2008 in Weddings
I missed a "shot" at a wedding, well I took it, 3 shots of one of the bridesmaids coming down the isle (very small church) so was lucky to get that many....

In all 3 her eyes are closed.....Great:rolleyes
Sent a quick note off to the bride, just to let her know why that bridesmaids picture is missing....meanwhile, I have all the other shots before during and after already posted for her viewing.

She said, oh that doesn't bother me, I'd love to see it anyway:scratch
But but but, I don't want to show her, I don't want a this picture to be in any way associated with me and my work. She's a very reasonable person, I just don't know what to tell her. Has this happened to you?

Comments

• Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    I would send it to her via email, that is if you do not want to put it on your proofs site. Remember....the customer is always right! HA! headscratch.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    Adobe Photoshop Elements will let you take her eyes from another picture and insert them onto this one, provided distance, angle and lighting it all well. Do you have a similar shot of her with her eyes open, but with other issues in the picture?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    cdonovan wrote:
    Sent a quick note off to the bride, just to let her know why that bridesmaids picture is missing....meanwhile, I have all the other shots before during and after already posted for her viewing.
    If it were me, I wouldn't have pointed it out. Is it a crucial shot? It isn't like you missed the kiss or something. I doubt she would have noticed the missing picture. I have discovered that the bride always wants to see every possible picture, and it is best not to mention the ones that hit the cutting room floor- or they will want you share (and fix) them.

But now that you are in this boat, is it so terrible that she shut her eyes? No, everybody blinks. So, at this point If the bride wants to see it, send it to her, but ask her not to broadcast it across the country.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    If it were me, I wouldn't have pointed it out. Is it a crucial shot? It isn't like you missed the kiss or something. I doubt she would have noticed the missing picture. I have discovered that the bride always wants to see every possible picture, and it is best not to mention the ones that hit the cutting room floor- or they will want you share (and fix) them.

But now that you are in this boat, is it so terrible that she shut her eyes? No, everybody blinks. So, at this point If the bride wants to see it, send it to her, but ask her not to broadcast it across the country.

I couldn't have said this better myself.

NEVER NEVER NEVER be the first one to point out flaws in your photos. Either don't show them or be 100% proud of them (flaws and all). There is no middle ground.

Heather is the m...., er, woman. thumb.gifrofl
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008

15524779-Ti.gif with most of the above - For the future, include or exclude as your choose but don't point out any problems to the client. If they discover/notice them, then you can explain. But, until that point - it is what it is.

As a personal preference, I would have included that shot. As Lynne says, everyone closes their eyes. It is possible to copy eyes from one photo to another, but in this situation, you might have a problem finding a set that would fit, color/ligihting wise. And, I have to wonder if the ROI is there.

All of the above is fine, but doesn't answer the mail. In this situation, I think I would just post it to the proof site, drop the client a quiet e-mail saying it's there and let it go at that. Asking the client to treat it special ("not to broadcast it across the country") is, again, call special attention to a photo that you would prefer not to call attention to.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Good advice, but you forgot option #3. If you have photos of her with her eyes open, just clone the open eyes over the closed ones. :D

Sam
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    It's often possible to even copy eyes from a similar family member to use for cloning. I would take the time to do that since the photo is now conspicuous.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    I've done the eye clone thingy before - not one family member noticed - even I can't tell on a print. I got the idea from Andy...

I don't think its so terrible for a bridesmaid to have eyes closed - many times they look down at thier feet while walking so they won't trip if the dress is full length...I've seen that a lot (the looking down thing, not the tripping).

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    You could tell her that you already deleted the pic....
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist