Options

Photo for enlargement

dylansdigitalsdylansdigitals Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited September 12, 2008 in Technique
I have a friend that wants us to take a picture down main street. He then wants the print framed as a large poster size photo. What is the optimum shooting technique for this project?
Low ISO to ensure good enlarging? I have a Nikon D50 and ISO 200 is as low as it will go.
Does slow or fast shutter speed make a difference?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure it enlarges to a professional quality photograph.

Thanks
Dylan's Digitals :click
Photography by: Denise Rowe
www.dylansdigitals.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    200 ISO should be fine. The shutter speed doesn't matter so long as the camera is held still. (lower shutter speeds may require tripods). If the subject is moving, you need a higher shutter speed. Post your results!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 10, 2008
    In focus - shoot with a cable release. Consider MLU as well, if shot from a tripod, to maximize the sharpness of your image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    In addition to all the above, consider your desired DOF - how much of the scene (front to back) do you want in focus. Or, put another way, how far away from the camera is the closest object which must be in focus. Same question for the most distant object.

Go to the DOFMaster DOF calculator and play with it until you arrive at an aperture that will meet your focus needs.

This aperture, when taken in combination with your desired ISO (already stated as 200) and amount of available light, will determine your desired shutter speed. Not fast enough (see erson83's comments), you'll have to boost your ISO to get there.
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    To add to the previous issues of DOF, small aperture and resulting slower shutter speed, also consider the time of day you pick for your shoot.

I'd recommend shooting very early in the morning, to avoid moving cars and blurry pedestrians as much as possible. Unless you purposely choose to make them an element of your photograph, which could be cool but takes a lot of shots and some luck to make it look just right.
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com