Hauling the Mail

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited September 11, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Three vintage biplanes left Republic Airport on Long Island this morning, to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the US Post Office Air Mail service. In 1918, the first air mail flight left Belmont Park in Elmont, stopping in Philadelphia en route to Washington DC. The three aircraft today departed for San Fransisco, tracing the original transcontinental route used in the 1920s, with stops in the 15 cities on the original route. The transcontinental route originated at nearby Roosevelt Field.

This is a Boeing 40-C, the oldest flying Boeing aircraft, which could carry 4 passengers in its enclosed cabin. It crashed in Oregon in 1928. After 72 years on a mountainside, it was recovered and underwent an 8 year restoration.

369854075_hgF2k-L.jpg

369854989_t9dRW-L.jpg

369855611_QbvuE-L.jpg

1927 Stearman C3B

369856189_fZfjU-L.jpg

1930 Stearman 4E Speedmail

369856703_dTSmN-L.jpg

369857206_c8EYX-L.jpg

369857423_CBedp-L.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    This has an interesting story line and the photos were very well done. Good work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Fun and interesting captures! Thanks for posting!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    Three vintage biplanes left Republic Airport on Long Island this morning, to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the US Post Office Air Mail service. In 1918, the first air mail flight left Belmont Park in Elmont, stopping in Philadelphia en route to Washington DC. The three aircraft today departed for San Fransisco, tracing the original transcontinental route used in the 1920s, with stops in the 15 cities on the original route. The transcontinental route originated at nearby Roosevelt Field.

This is a Boeing 40-C, the oldest flying Boeing aircraft, which could carry 4 passengers in its enclosed cabin. It crashed in Oregon in 1928. After 72 years on a mountainside, it was recovered and underwent an 8 year restoration.

1927 Stearman C3B
    1930 Stearman 4E Speedmail

My Postie delivers on a Scooter :D
    I think your planes look a much more fun kind of transport.

Geez those planes are in Beautiful condition Moose 135.

I like the little RED one, could imagine SNOOPY in that one.
    Excellent Series clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin