A PM'd question on fill flash for portraits.

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in People
Originally Posted by barbnjon
Hello. I've been admiring your photos. I have a couple of questions. When shooting outside do you use any kind of a diffuser on your flash?

99.9% of the time no, I do not use a diffuser on my flash when shooting OUTDOOR portraits. The Canon flash I use zooms to provide coverage for the lenses that I use. I do, now and then, use the built in diffuser...but not for its diffusion but rather to hold a color correcting gel in place over the flash lens. If I were using the flash as the primary light(key light) rather than for fill I would absolutely want to diffuse it, but I wouldn't use on camera flash for that...off camera would be the way to go there.
I see that you use on camera fill flash. I currently use a flash bracket and boy does that get heavy! I would really love not having to use one. Sooo... if you are using direct flash without diffusion, how powerful is your flash setting?

I move around when I shoot from setting to setting...so the natural light changes from setting to setting. I do not have a "go to" setting on my flash. I adjust the flash exposure compensation(FEC) or flash power for each shot.
Your portraits are beautiful and I'm wondering if I really need a cumbersome bracket.

I do not use one....but....I try my best not to create shadows with the flash. For me, the shadows created when turning a camera without a bracket in the portrait orientation are a deal killer unless they are soft and laid down to look natural. Here again, the right balance with the ambient light will prevent the ugly shadows....but if it is even slightly too much flash power then a bracket would be of benfit.
Also, how did you learn to process in raw? Is there a book, online tutorial, ? I am currently using jpeg with Photoshop Elements 2! I'd like to move past that and learn some more post processing skills. Nothing time consuming, just something that will improve my work. Any suggestions?

Barb

I am sure there are tons of books and tutorials regarding RAW editing...though I haven't read any...and cannot off hand think of any tutorials. RAW processing is much faster....in my opinion...than working in photoshop...or elements.....if you choose an editing software that lets you do batch processing. I have used Adobe Lightroom since it's first BETA release and love it. You can download a 30 day trial at Adobe.com that is fully functional. The interface is very intuative, and I'd bet you have no problem in picking it up pretty quickly. I like the fact that I can drill down for a single image from an event the corrected white balance, the right amount of noise reduction and sharpening for the chosen ISO, the satauration and clarity etc.....and then with a single click apply those settings to ALL of the photos. THATS FAST!!!! Then it is a simple run through each individual photo to give it minor corrections...or flourishes. On export from Lightroom, the originals remain untouched, as the jpegs are placed in a seperate folder. Easy Peasy.:D

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    99.9% of the time no, I do not use a diffuser on my flash when shooting OUTDOOR portraits. The Canon flash I use zooms to provide coverage for the lenses that I use. I do, now and then, use the built in diffuser...but not for its diffusion but rather to hold a color correcting gel in place over the flash lens. If I were using the flash as the primary light(key light) rather than for fill I would absolutely want to diffuse it, but I wouldn't use on camera flash for that...off camera would be the way to go there.

I move around when I shoot from setting to setting...so the natural light changes from setting to setting. I do not have a "go to" setting on my flash. I adjust the flash exposure compensation(FEC) or flash power for each shot.

I do not use one....but....I try my best not to create shadows with the flash. For me, the shadows created when turning a camera without a bracket in the portrait orientation are a deal killer unless they are soft and laid down to look natural. Here again, the right balance with the ambient light will prevent the ugly shadows....but if it is even slightly too much flash power then a bracket would be of benfit.

I am sure there are tons of books and tutorials regarding RAW editing...though I haven't read any...and cannot off hand think of any tutorials. RAW processing is much faster....in my opinion...than working in photoshop...or elements.....if you choose an editing software that lets you do batch processing. I have used Adobe Lightroom since it's first BETA release and love it. You can download a 30 day trial at Adobe.com that is fully functional. The interface is very intuative, and I'd bet you have no problem in picking it up pretty quickly. I like the fact that I can drill down for a single image from an event the corrected white balance, the right amount of noise reduction and sharpening for the chosen ISO, the satauration and clarity etc.....and then with a single click apply those settings to ALL of the photos. THATS FAST!!!! Then it is a simple run through each individual photo to give it minor corrections...or flourishes. On export from Lightroom, the originals remain untouched, as the jpegs are placed in a seperate folder. Easy Peasy.:D

Very nice explanation as well as honest.bowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    For a light-weight flash bracket that keeps the flash where it's supposed to be (not all do), take a look at the Newton Di100FR2 Flash Rotator. When I'm shooting a reception and I'm forced to use on-camera flash, I carry two gripped Canon 30D, each with one of these brackets, a 580, and a lens (D'oh). Yes, it get's heavy, but it would be a lot worse with a larger bracket. For this reason, I'm giving serious consideration to trying out the "light on a stick" arrangement described by Jeff in another thread:D

For processing RAW, here's a couple of books to consider.... Of course, you can spend time in the Finishing School, reading a lot, asking questions and getting answers.
    For this reason, I'm giving serious consideration to trying out the "light on a stick" arrangement described by Jeff in another thread:D

I must admit, my last wedding was in a cramped dark hall with stone walls. For the life of me I could not get a shot off without shadows in the background even with my RRS flash bracket.

I ended up taking out my center post from my tripod, mounting my flash on the end, sticking a small shoot through umbrella on it and triggering the flash using pocket wizards. It worked like a charm but it must of looked very funny:D
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I ended up taking out my center post from my tripod, mounting my flash on the end, sticking a small shoot through umbrella on it and triggering the flash using pocket wizards. It worked like a charm but it must of looked very funny:D
    Nice reaction to the situation.thumb.gifbow

But, know what really looks funny? The Better Bounce Card and the light scoop and I've used both at receptions. It's not really the gear you use, it's the product you produce!
    Nice reaction to the situation.thumb.gifbow

But, know what really looks funny? The Better Bounce Card and the light scoop and I've used both at receptions. It's not really the gear you use, it's the product you produce!

I love that bounce foam idea. At .39 cents a sheet, i won't go broke buying it. Probably going to be the cheapest thing in my bag but one of the most useful. I am definitely stealing that idea and make one tonightclap.gif.
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I love that bounce foam idea. At .39 cents a sheet, i won't go broke buying it. Probably going to be the cheapest thing in my bag but one of the most useful. I am definitely stealing that idea and make one tonightclap.gif.
    I try to make sure I have a couple of extras (and extra rubber bands) with me when I'm shooting. I frequently get the "What's that do for you?" questions. I show them and then give them one. What's 15 or 20 cents - gotta spread the love!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I must admit, my last wedding was in a cramped dark hall with stone walls. For the life of me I could not get a shot off without shadows in the background even with my RRS flash bracket.

I use a Gary Fong Lightsphere "cloud". It surely wouldn't diffuse light as well as an umbrella, but does what it is intended to do none the less. I like the bare bulb effect, and it isn't a huge attention grabber when I use it on my monopod. When I bought my monopod, I bought the sturdiest one made by manfrotto. It is HEAVY DUTY for sure. I want to get a really cheap lightweight one for the sole purpose of holding my flash beyond arm's length.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    I think I had the same person PM me, which I don't mind, but thought if I typed out an answer, I might as well share it with the rest of you as well.
    1. How long did it take you to learn to process in RAW? Is it worth it?
    Not long. I just sort of jumped in with both feet and it changed my world. Life is easier in raw.
    2. Do you use on camera flash or mostly off camera? Sorry if I've ask
    that before.
    I try to do mostly off camera, but end up not being able to sometimes. In those cases I use a Fong, or a BBC, depending on my mood or the need of the moment.
    3. Do you have an assistant working with you to help with reflectors, etc.?
    On my lucky days I do... But usually.... I work alone... (insert blues riff) yeah, with nobody else....
    4. How much post processing do you do? I want to sell quality photos but
    not spend countless hours at the computer.
    To hear my husband tell it, I spend way to many hours at the computer. But for me, it is worth it to turn out some great stuff. As to how much I do, it would depend on the situation. Sometimes processing from raw is enough, sometimes I go deeper and do blemish reduction, and all that other stuff that can take hours. Actions help to take down the time a bit. Jeff says he can turn out a wedding in a hard days work, but me, eh, I am just not that quick. It takes me more like a week. I use ACR and Bridge.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    PlanetNeil.com has some of the best info I have ever seen for using a flash on the camera. He discusses a lot of bounce techniques and even has improved upon the Better Bounce Card.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    When I bought my monopod, I bought the sturdiest one made by manfrotto. It is HEAVY DUTY for sure.

So do you think it would hold a 5D, with grip, flash/bracket and the 70-200 4 lb 2.8 monster? I have been just keeping my tripod legs closed and using that to give me a bit of a monopod to rest my poor arms and prevent fatigue based camera shake during long receptions. I have been looking for quite a while for one that can hold the weight I need it to. Or is it overkill?

Or how about this: I buy a cheap lightweight monopod and ship it to you and you can ship me your monster monopod... sounds like a great deal!mwink.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    So do you think it would hold a 5D, with grip, flash/bracket and the 70-200 4 lb 2.8 monster? I have been just keeping my tripod legs closed and using that to give me a bit of a monopod to rest my poor arms and prevent fatigue based camera shake during long receptions. I have been looking for quite a while for one that can hold the weight I need it to. Or is it overkill?

Or how about this: I buy a cheap lightweight monopod and ship it to you and you can ship me your monster monopod... sounds like a great deal!mwink.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

The one I use weighs 2.4 lbs!!! without the ball head!!! It will support up to 26lbs of weight...Monopod Link

I use it with this ballhead which weighs 1lb and will support up to 13lbs.
    Ballhead Link

My very first thought when I recieved it was that I would surely never be mugged while carrying it. It is VERY sturdy, and will definately hold what you listed or double as a riot baton. This one has a set of legs that store inside it. I bought it with legs not knowing if I would ever need them, but thought that if I did, and had no tripod that they would do in a pinch. I have never used the legs to support the camera, but have used them in a pinch to turn it into a light stand. I used to carry a tripod everywhere, and NEVER use it just because of the complications involved with moving it for every shot, but I use the monopod almost always....and it goes wherever my camera goes most of the time. Yes I want a super lightweight one for my flash technique, but Nooooooooo! you can't have mine!

Oh. the legs stored inside this thing rattle. That is distracting during wedding ceremonies. I wrap a rubber band around them prior to screwing them inside the pod to keep them silent.

medium.jpg
    medium.jpg
    medium.jpg
    270072554_xJ5Er-M.jpg
    270072536_kfzUd-M.jpg
    270072570_Qwp4A-M.jpg
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The one I use weighs 2.4 lbs!!! without the ball head!!! It will support up to 26lbs of weight...Monopod Link

I use it with this ballhead which weighs 1lb and will support up to 13lbs.
    Ballhead Link

My very first thought when I recieved it was that I would surely never be mugged while carrying it. It is VERY sturdy, and will definately hold what you listed or double as a riot baton. This one has a set of legs that store inside it. I bought it with legs not knowing if I would ever need them, but thought that if I did, and had no tripod that they would do in a pinch. I have never used the legs to support the camera, but have used them in a pinch to turn it into a light stand. I used to carry a tripod everywhere, and NEVER use it just because of the complications involved with moving it for every shot, but I use the monopod almost always....and it goes wherever my camera goes most of the time. Yes I want a super lightweight one for my flash technique, but Nooooooooo! you can't have mine!

Oh. the legs stored inside this thing rattle. That is distracting during wedding ceremonies. I wrap a rubber band around them prior to screwing them inside the pod to keep them silent.

Wow, Jeff. when I ask a question, you give an answer. You rock, dude.
    Wow, Jeff. when I ask a question, you give an answer. You rock, dude.

rolleyes1.gif
    ....Errrr....all I really said was NO. You can't have it:D

It has been a great piece of gear to own.