Options

Problem retaining exif info

sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
edited January 5, 2009 in Finishing School
I am shooting with a Nikon D80 in RAW mode. After I download my pictures to my computer I can see the exif info for the files as expected when using Nikon view 6 to browse the pictures to see which ones to edit. The problem I am having, is that when I open my file in Photoshop, I can not view the exif info. I go the the "File" menu and choose "File info," and nothing is there. Is there a way that I can retain this info so that when I am done editting my file and display it on my SmugMug page I can view it?

Thanks for your help
http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    sdways01 wrote:
    I am shooting with a Nikon D80 in RAW mode. After I download my pictures to my computer I can see the exif info for the files as expected when using Nikon view 6 to browse the pictures to see which ones to edit. The problem I am having, is that when I open my file in Photoshop, I can not view the exif info. I go the the "File" menu and choose "File info," and nothing is there. Is there a way that I can retain this info so that when I am done editting my file and display it on my SmugMug page I can view it?

Thanks for your help

First, when you go to File/File Info in Photoshop, are you looking at Camera Data 1? That's where you shooting EXIF data is.

A proper workflow with decent tools will retain the EXIF info. Apparently, you have some step in your workflow which is not retaining it. In order for us to help you identify what is wrong, you will have to outline for us in step by step fashion the shortest set of steps that cause you to lose your EXIF info. The first step is that you shoot a RAW file with your D80. The last step is that you open that file in Photoshop and choose File/Info. What are the steps in between?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    Yes I am looking at Camera Data 1. There is also nothing in Camera Data 2.

Steps I take:
    • Shoot picture in RAW with D80
    • Connect camera to computer
    • Using Nikon Transfer (Part of Nikon View 6) I choose where to save the file and what to name it
    • Once transfer is complete, turn off camera and disconnect
    • Using Nikon View 6 (already open), I browse my files to see what I want to edit (exif is visible at this time)
    • Open Photoshop
    • Drag file over to photoshop
    • With the window that pops up in Photoshop, I edit the exposure
    • File loads with exposure edit
    • Go to "File Info" and exif is not visible
    Without being in front of my own computer and making sure these are the exact steps, I believe this is just what I do.
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    Strange. Open Bridge and check your ACR preferences. Are you saving image information to XMP files? If not, maybe that's the problem. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    As Richard stated, this is very strange!

So when you 'drag" the file over to photoshop, do you mean you are dragging it from the Nikon View6 browzer? If so, when the file opens in photoshop, it should still open via Adobe Camera Raw before opeining in PS. The file name in the top left corner should be your Raw file name (e.g. for Canon it would show filename.CR2. I think Nikon is .NEF).

Maybe it's the drag and drop. try opening the file directly from wherever it resides and see if the Exif is there. I would also try opening it directly in Photoshop without going through the View6 after downloading from the camera.

You may already know this, but for your final jpg files that you upload to smugmug, don't use save for web, use save as, or you will again lose your EXIF info.

Hopefully you should see your EXIF data fairly quickly ...

sdways01 wrote:
    Yes I am looking at Camera Data 1. There is also nothing in Camera Data 2.

Steps I take:
    • Shoot picture in RAW with D80
    • Connect camera to computer
    • Using Nikon Transfer (Part of Nikon View 6) I choose where to save the file and what to name it
    • Once transfer is complete, turn off camera and disconnect
    • Using Nikon View 6 (already open), I browse my files to see what I want to edit (exif is visible at this time)
    • Open Photoshop
    • Drag file over to photoshop
    • With the window that pops up in Photoshop, I edit the exposure
    • File loads with exposure edit
    • Go to "File Info" and exif is not visible
    Without being in front of my own computer and making sure these are the exact steps, I believe this is just what I do.
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    May I please beat this dead horse a bit more? It doesn't yet fully resemble British comfort food to me. mwink.gif

On 11/20/08 I finally updated my version of CS2 to 9.0.2. After that, I discovered I no longer have the Date Photo Taken available for viewing/sorting in Windows Explorer for either RAW NEF files or for the process-resulting JPGs and it's driving me insane.

I know the info remains available in the files because it's there when I upload JPGs to Smugmug and it's always there when I use Bridge before doing full post-processing with CS2. And I can see it while working on them in CS2. I just can't get the information to display for use with Windows Explorer (XP).

I feel like I've been to the end of the Internet and back trying to find an answer so any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    PJ,

Hmmm...are you saying that all files are having this problem or only new ones created since you upgraded? Upgrades don't edit pic files at all, but it's possible that they muck with Explorer settings.

OK, here's something to try. Open a folder containing pics in an Explorer window and set the view to Details. Then right-click on the titles bar. You should see a list of columns that can be displayed. Date Taken may simply have become unchecked:

449243286_qqfty-L.jpg

If you are running XP-Pro, you might also want to install the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer. In addition to providing thumbs in Explorer of RAW files, it expands the amount of metadata visible in a mouse-over. It's a free download, but you have to be registered with Windows Genuine Advantage and not have insulted Microsoft on any Internet forum for the past six months mwink.gif.
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks, Richard.

Yes, this started after upgrading CS2.

My folders are set up to display the Date Photo Taken as you've indicated, and I downloaded and installed the viewer but still nada. Still no details to be seen, either for the NEFs or JPGs. (Though I can see the NEFs now; though no big deal to me since I always preview in Bridge.)

Edited to add: Now both viewers (MS RAW and MS Picture & FAX viewer) are opening images seemingly at random, instead of the order they exist in the folders.

This is so crazy! headscratch.gif
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)