Dodge? Burn? I can't remember...

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,

Inspired by some texture photos I saw I tried it out myself and I'm thinking this could be something cool... problem is that it's darkening some of the faces and I can't for the life of me remember the dodge or is it burn or whatever technique to make parts of the photo dark and some lighter - e.g. the face in this case

I did try some simple dodge/burn in PS but couldn't make it work - well not how i was expecting - it didn't seem to make any difference :dunno

Can someone point me to a tutorial or give me some hints please? i know I read about it once and tried it once but now I can't find it again

Here's the photo - no C&C - it's just my test photo I'm using to learn - it's my 4yo son

GarionTextureTest.jpg

Thanks!
Jase

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Jase,
    Your thinking way to hard..............dodging is the lightening effect and burning as it implies is the darkening (burning) effect........

Nice photo by the way..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• lucluc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    Burning = make things darker; just like burning to ashes. mwink.gif

Could you post a picture or link showing what you woud like to achieve?
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    Art Scott wrote:
    Jase,
    Your thinking way to hard..............dodging is the lightening effect and burning as it implies is the darkening (burning) effect........

Nice photo by the way..............

Thanks Art - the only issue is that I tried dodging and it wasn't doing anything... headscratch.gif
    I wonder if it's because I had the texture layer on top of the background (the photo)...

I'm just thinking now I must have been dodging on the wrong layer... 11doh.gif

Off to try it again
    luc wrote:
    Burning = make things darker; just like burning to ashes. mwink.gif

Could you post a picture or link showing what you woud like to achieve?

Thanks - basically I just wanted to lighten the face in the photo - after reading both replies I'm wondering if I was dodging the wrong layer

Stay tuned for an update :D
    Bingo
    I went back in and merged the layers and voila - just a mistake of someone who doesn't know PS well enough! Thanks for your replies though as reading htem trigged off the thought in my head thumb.gif

Here's what I had in mind with lightening the face - again I just did it quick as I'm trying to learn - so no C&C required - it might be a little too light now - but it highlights what I was trying to do.

GarionTextureTestDodge.jpg

Cheers,
    Jase
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    Always copy !!!! Then play or experiment !!!
    First of all I always make a copy or a duplicate of the picture I am working on, then there is no sorrow's if you goof up......Also you could have created a mask over the boys face and,played with exposure etc...

Great picture and, Idea ::: Brady thumb.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
    Freezframe wrote:
    First of all I always make a copy or a duplicate of the picture I am working on, then there is no sorrow's if you goof up......Also you could have created a mask over the boys face and,played with exposure etc...

Great picture and, Idea ::: Brady thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback - any links to tutorials on the exposure mask??? I'm new to all this with the PS editing - thanks thumb.gif

oh and it is a duplicate I'm editing - fear not :D

Cheers, Jase
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    The Dodge and Burn tools are crude, and not used by many editors as delivered in Photohop.

Our own Cletus described a much better way of dodging and burning. This is tip worth repeating again.

The tool I usually use, is a Brush in Overlay or Softlight mode, on a copy of the background layer, with Black ink to burn and white ink to dodge. Then I can adjust the opacity slider to taste. This is very fast, easy, and looks good.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    pathfinder wrote:
    The Dodge and Burn tools are crude, and not used by many editors as delivered in Photohop.

Our own Cletus described a much better way of dodging and burning. This is tip worth repeating again.

The tool I usually use, is a Brush in Overlay or Softlight mode, on a copy of the background layer, with Black ink to burn and white ink to dodge. Then I can adjust the opacity slider to taste. This is very fast, easy, and looks good.thumb.gif

Thanks I'm definitely going to check it out! thumb.gif
    Best thing is my photos are going to look better wings.gif
    Worst thing is it all takes more time which I don't have ne_nau.gif
    Hey nothing in life is every free! mwink.gif

Cheers, jase
    Sorry Jason !!!!!!
    I miss understood you..I was under the impression you where using LR......All be it said. It also uses the brush tool that creates a mask similiar to an overlay but,easier to achieve...( Not as many steps)Next generation I guess ...

Brady mwink.gif
    edited September 13, 2008
    Freezframe wrote:
    I miss understood you..I was under the impression you where using LR......All be it said. It also uses the brush tool that creates a mask similiar to an overlay but,easier to achieve...( Not as many steps)Next generation I guess ...

Brady mwink.gif
    No problems - i've got LR2.0 aswell! so any masking tips you can give me are still very welcome thumb.gif
    I didn't know I could do selective masking in LR???

Cheers, Jase
    edited September 13, 2008
    Tutorial,,,,
    I found a Tut on youtube ,or one of the tut " sites that I surf.I will search for it ,and send you a link....There is a wack of them out their...Alot of goodies tobe found on the net indeed.....

Brady