First attempt at shooting hockey

lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in Sports

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    lfortier wrote:
    D200 / 70-200 / SB800 / Luck

Luck :D I feel that way sometimes myself. I got into the dslr world due to hockey.

It's much better than my first hockey shot! SB800? Flash?

You did a lot of things right -- face, puck, action, etc an the white balance is okay.

I would fix the horizon in post, get the WB correct, and most likely increase the shutter speed a bit.

thumb.gif for your first time!
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    lfortier wrote:
    370424713_tAxT7-L.jpg

D200 / 70-200 / SB800 / Luck
    Not much action to be that tight of a shot, but its crisp and bright, and makes me want to play so not bad for a first go!
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    Not much action to be that tight of a shot, but its crisp and bright, and makes me want to play so not bad for a first go!

Considering you were shooting rec hockey, I suppose the flash didn't bother anyone. The games I cover are strictly no flash. If your 70-200 goes F2.8, you don't need a flash anyhow. Just pump the ISO up to 1600 or more and select a SS of 1/250th.

My hockey shots here

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->http://southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com/Sports
    <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Thanks for the tips. I tried most of them but this arena only had "flourescents" lit for this group. The "big" lights were never turned on. Hence, the use of the SB800. If they had used the "big" floods, I would have been in heaven and my pictures would have been so much better. I may return during a regular (paid admission) game just to see how much difference it would have made.

Thanks for the comment.

BTW: love your hockey shots.
  • HockeyFanHockeyFan Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    None of the games I go to allow flash; at least not from the non-pro. There's a pro that has some special flash in the ceiling that are synchronized to his camera and so he gets that added benefit. The rest of us crank to ISO 1600. I use a zoom that goes up to 300mm and the fstop is f5.6 at the widest at that focal length (cheap lens), so I'm usually working with a shutter speed of around 1/160th or something like that. And the action is still captured without blur except in a few cases.
    I sympathize with not having enough light in the non-pro rink, but at least you are allowed the flash.
    Canon EOS Rebel XTi (EF 75-300mm, EFS 18-55mm)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/les_stockton/collections/

Earth Home Construction Project Site: Stockton Underground
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    lfortier wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. I tried most of them but this arena only had "flourescents" lit for this group. The "big" lights were never turned on. Hence, the use of the SB800. If they had used the "big" floods, I would have been in heaven and my pictures would have been so much better. I may return during a regular (paid admission) game just to see how much difference it would have made.

Thanks for the comment.

BTW: love your hockey shots.

You're welcome and thank you for the kind words.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com