Options

align: left

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited July 8, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have aligned my smugmug page left. I prefer this to centered, but the text at the very bottom that says "portions copyright smugmug, etc..." remains aligned centered. Can any of you think of a way around this?
Sample Page

Thanks,
Winn

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    I have aligned my smugmug page left. I prefer this to centered, but the text at the very bottom that says "portions copyright smugmug, etc..." remains aligned centered. Can any of you think of a way around this?
    Sample Page

Thanks,
    Winn
    How about copying the source and reinserting it as your footer except change the table declaration from align="center" to align="left"?

Mike
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    winn, it looks fine to me?

20908170-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    winn, it looks fine to me?
    Aah, You bring up a good point, Andy. When the browser window is small, smugmug's text looks as it should. But when it is large, it centers to the browser window, and not the content.

-winn
    smugmug_powered.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    Aah, You bring up a good point, Andy. When the browser window is small, smugmug's text looks as it should. But when it is large, it centers to the browser window, and not the content.

-winn

yup. and i rather like websites where everything moves in a centered fashion, as i size my windows wider or narrower.

i'd leave things centered.

cheers
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Okay, winn, can you please explain how you aligned your site to the left? I was looking all around everywhere and I can't for the life of me find out how you did it. Further, I can't figure out how to do it period since we can't manipulate the table tag.

Your site looks great by the way.

Edit: Wait, are you using asp and the SM APIs to make your page?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Okay, winn, can you please explain how you aligned your site to the left? I was looking all around everywhere and I can't for the life of me find out how you did it. Further, I can't figure out how to do it period since we can't manipulate the table tag.

Your site looks great by the way.

Edit: Wait, are you using asp and the SM APIs to make your page?
    Mike, thanks for the compliment. It is actually quite simple to align your entire sm site to the left. If you simply start a table in the header, and end the table in the footer, it will default to align left (this is probably why you couldn't find where I specified the left align). Be sure to include the other tags as well. Example:

header: <table><tr><td>
    footer: </td></tr></table>

I'm sure there are other ways as well, but this should work. Best of luck.

-winn
  • Options
    TraceyHTraceyH Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2005
    Hi,

I am trying to center the entire template also for http://jenniferhammond.smugmug.com

Has anyone got any tips on how to do this? I have already tried using the <div align="center"></div> tags but it doesn't work... Basically there should be an equal amount of blue space on either side of the content on all pages.

Any tips would be appreciated!

eta: I already did do some searching on the topic, so I apologise if it's already been explained!
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    To center everything on your site you can use the {text-align: center;} CSS tag in your cobrand settings. The CSS Should look something like this:

body {text-align: center;}

IMHO it is better to stick with W3C guidelines and don't use tables for formatting webpages. Style sheets are the way to go!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    thanks, i'm actually referring to the tables, moreso than the actual text. text is fine to be left aligned :)

i will look into using stylesheets for the account though, it might be easier in the long run
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    TraceyH wrote:
    thanks, i'm actually referring to the tables, moreso than the actual text. text is fine to be left aligned :)

i will look into using stylesheets for the account though, it might be easier in the long run

FYI, smugmug is moving towards 100% CSS-driven layouts. No more tables.

More info on Phase 1 here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=14509

Don
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    thanks for that :) i'll keep an eye on it
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Someone more knowledgable may need to help you, but it appears that you have some of your positioned absolutely. If those are the ones you want centered, you may not be able to get that done, unless you make them relatively positioned.