Options

Changing smugmug.com to custom domain

my2dramaqueenmy2dramaqueen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Okay I've been reading for hours trying to figure out how to do this. I've been puting it off for months. I have come to the conclusion I am not as computer literate as I thought. I can work my way around Microsoft programs but altering website.. not so much.:dunno :dunno :dunno

Domain, URL, CNAME, subdomain, IP address? You mind as well speak spanish. And working my way around the CSS, I put a . somewhere and the whole thing goes haywire.:scratch :scratch :scratch

Can someone please help me. I want to change psphotography.smugmug.com to precioussecondsphotography.com . I have the name registered with Go daddy. Is there a way that if people go to the old smugmug.com it will forward the the new one without showing the smugmug in the name?

I am willing to be someone's BFF :lust if they can help me. Explain it to me like I'm a 2 year old.!!! :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    BFFs? oool! Doc, our domain expert will do it. He would need the following information:
    1. the name of your domain registrar
    2. login name to your domain
    3. change the password for your domain to something like smugtemp9433

Once he has made the changes, he will let you know so that you could change your password back.

Send this info ATTN: Doc at our help desk, thanks!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    3. change the password for your domain to something like smugtemp9433

Or some other nice secure random string that's not posted here in the forums but that you tell us in your mail to the help desk. Doc (or one of his dns assistants) will get you fixed up.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    There's a help desk? Laughing.gif how do I access that?
  • Options
    There's a help desk? Laughing.gif how do I access that?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal :) Email ATTN: Doc, and he'll get you sorted out first thing Friday morn.
  • Options
    Thank you for your help!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Hey Andy, quick question while we're on the topic, (and while I'm on the forums only because SM was down...)

Is it possible to have a front page with URL's hosted on other web space, but still eliminate the .smugmug from my galleries? I have a really messy setup:

Web hosting is through Yahoo, (will switch registrar and everything to Godaddy when I get a chance) ...but my actual website is designed through a new flash app called showit sites, so my yahoo simply has HTML that references the flash on Showit's servers.

Then I have my SmugMug galleries. It would be nice to NOT have to explain to clients the difference between where my main page is and where my galleries are hosted.

So I could just say "go to matthewsaville.com/weddings to see my wedding pricing, (hosted on yahoo) ...and then go to matthewsaville.com/gallery555555 to see a sample wedding!"

Dooable?

Peace out,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    So I could just say "go to matthewsaville.com/weddings to see my wedding pricing, (hosted on yahoo) ...and then go to matthewsaville.com/gallery555555 to see a sample wedding!"

Dooable?

Peace out,
    =Matt=
    Sure, why not? You can have your homepage be anything you like, and you can have any number of information pages that aren't gallery pages. All can be on your domain and all can be via SmugMug.

Post in customizing forum for how-to.