Did i save this shot?

erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in Sports
This shot was on the other side of the field (55 yards) and an easy 30 yards down field from me. It was a miserable shot at first so I ask...Did i save it? O, and much respect for you night shooters in the abismal lighting that is high school football!

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    You did what you could to save the memory of the moment. It's not a technically great shot because of the cropping and loss of detail, but you have the play.
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    jonh68 wrote:
    You did what you could to save the memory of the moment. It's not a technically great shot because of the cropping and loss of detail, but you have the play.

Thanks...if i could have gotten a face that would have been cool, but i can always call it artsy!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    can you post the original?
  • rockcanyonphotosrockcanyonphotos Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    erson83 wrote:
    This shot was on the other side of the field (55 yards) and an easy 30 yards down field from me. It was a miserable shot at first so I ask...Did i save it? O, and much respect for you night shooters in the abismal lighting that is high school football!

If the purpose was to save the shot for the player and/or his family... you did it.
    www.rockcanyonphotos.com

Canon 1DM4, 300mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 200mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8
    cj99si wrote:
    can you post the original?

here ya go
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    I like the original better.
    I like the original better.

Is there anything wrong with my sharpness and or focus or is this to be expected with the slower shutter shudder speeds? the camera is a canon 40 d with a 2.8 L 70-200 lens. Non IS.

Thanks
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    erson83 wrote:
    Is there anything wrong with my sharpness and or focus or is this to be expected with the slower shutter shudder speeds? the camera is a canon 40 d with a 2.8 L 70-200 lens. Non IS.

Thanks

To be expected I think given the conditions. hard to stop motion in those conditions

by the way...and really, I kinda hate to admit it, but this thread took me way back to the "Brady Bunch", where Greg is a photographer and took a similar photo of a play that changed the score and won the game for the home team......

that makes you Greg Brady today! thumb.gif

Laughing.gif
    Marsha Marsha Marsha

anyway, is it possible to sell shots like this? I look at em and cringe, though I would bet that parents with the point and shoots in the crowd would be thrilled with some like this. I have far better shots then this one from the game--but it still looks blury due to the shutter at 250--do parents buy em anyway?
    To be honest I think you made it worse. I think as is with a little PP and its a fine shot. I would probably try a portrait crop though.
    Thanks for the critique! it just felt so far away i though I'd crop, then it got worse from there. Sometimes I need to shoot, put the camera down for a few days then re visit as I find that I am overly crtical of myself. Does anybody else have that? where when they look right away the excitment isnt there...but then you go back and find that it was ok afterall?
    Happens to me all the time.
    cj99si wrote:
    Happens to me all the time.

Sometimes I edit to soon, then go back and realize I really screwed em up, and have to go back to the raws and do it all over!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    If that is full frame, it looks like focus was a little off, not a problem with SS. Of course, the play was on the other side of the field so that would be expected if you were having to make a quick focus on the play from following the QB or ball in general.