Extra-ordinary glass from a glass magician: Dale Chihuly

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited September 12, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
The Dale Chihuly exhibit has been in the de Young in San Francisco since June of 2008. I’ve seen many exquisite photos of the exhibits come through my flickr stream and heard raves from friends who popped in for a visit, but due to my schedule, I never went but always longed to go. I always remember his incredible institution at the Belligio in Vegas and the Monetery Bay Aquarium.

I finally checked the museum website and discovered that I had less than a month to visit before it left the city and decided that I had to make time and go! To my surprise, Dan was free too! And he drove too! I don't mind driving to the city, but I just hate parking.

We got to de Young before the museum opened and but there were over 150 in line ahead of us! I couldn’t believe it! Also, they made us check in our backpacks and I was stuck with my 40D and a walkaround f/2.8, but I knew I wanted my fisheye and a wide-angle.

So… in my pockets they went (by force). And just for information – female pant pockets, unlike men pants, are not designed for anything bigger than a small set of keys or lipsticks. I looked like I had two abnormal growth coming out of my hips and my pants were falling down with each step!

1. The Persian Ceiling
363534049_TfWRV-M-2.jpg

2. Tabac Baskets --- on a 700 year old piece of wood
363045886_KRdQp-M-4.jpg

3. Wall on Rugs – fisheye
363047000_CT42o-M-4.jpg
Dan got a shot of me taking this and I just love it. However, it looks completely different when it’s not shot with a fisheye. I also used this technique on a wall of paintings, but it did not turn out as well.

4. Colorful
364544247_29Fes-M-1.jpg

5. Close-up
363052929_UvcEW-M-4.jpg

6. Willa Wonka – that’s my name, not Chihuly’s name
363504649_8YdZi-M-3.jpg

7. Munch Star + Glass – I can’t take credit for this composition idea and was really struggling with the shot, but Dan showed him his star and I knew I had to try on.
363938430_k24m8-M-1.jpg

The other thing that amazed me was that Dan saw everything differently from me – different angles, different focus points.. just different, but still amazing!

If you ever have a chance to see the exhibit, go. Go. GO!

C&C welcomed.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    The Dale Chihuly exhibit has been in the de Young in San Francisco since June of 2008. I’ve seen many exquisite photos of the exhibits come through my flickr stream and heard raves from friends who popped in for a visit, but due to my schedule, I never went but always longed to go. I always remember his incredible institution at the Belligio in Vegas and the Monetery Bay Aquarium.

I finally checked the museum website and discovered that I had less than a month to visit before it left the city and decided that I had to make time and go! To my surprise, Dan was free too! And he drove too! I don't mind driving to the city, but I just hate parking.

We got to de Young before the museum opened and but there were over 150 in line ahead of us! I couldn’t believe it! Also, they made us check in our backpacks and I was stuck with my 40D and a walkaround f/2.8, but I knew I wanted my fisheye and a wide-angle.

So… in my pockets they went (by force). And just for information – female pant pockets, unlike men pants, are not designed for anything bigger than a small set of keys or lipsticks. I looked like I had two abnormal growth coming out of my hips and my pants were falling down with each step!

1. The Persian Ceiling
    2. Tabac Baskets --- on a 700 year old piece of wood
    3. Wall on Rugs – fisheye
    Dan got a shot of me taking this and I just love it. However, it looks completely different when it’s not shot with a fisheye. I also used this technique on a wall of paintings, but it did not turn out as well.

4. Colorful
    5. Close-up
    6. Willa Wonka – that’s my name, not Chihuly’s name
    7. Munch Star + Glass – I can’t take credit for this composition idea and was really struggling with the shot, but Dan showed him his star and I knew I had to try on.

The other thing that amazed me was that Dan saw everything differently from me – different angles, different focus points.. just different, but still amazing!

If you ever have a chance to see the exhibit, go. Go. GO!

C&C welcomed.

These beautiful glass creations are just amazing.
    Having seen some in Vegas and when you took me to Monteray Bay Aquarium, I know just how beautiful they really are.

Your Fisheye Lens has really come in handy for you April.

Images #4 & #6 are my favourites, I like the use of the mirror.

Lovely shots April clap.gif thanks for sharing .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    And just for information – female pant pockets, unlike men pants, are not designed for anything bigger than a small set of keys or lipsticks. I looked like I had two abnormal growth coming out of my hips and my pants were falling down with each step!

Useless w/out pics to show said goofiness! lol3.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    Number 6! Great color and comp!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Wow perspective of that 1st is so cool ! amazing work my friend capturing these images. And beautiful art work by Dale
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery